Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
seems as tho i might need something like this as my 4-yr old Toshiba laptop is shutting down when sitting flat on a placemat on a table or even on my lap.
Any suggestions on a computer place in downtown Toronto that is reliable in terms of servicing my laptop?

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Laptop heatsinks are usually massive beasts with the best design possible. This is more for something that doesn't normally have a heatsink.
If your laptop is overheating on a hard surface, check that the fans arent clogged with dust (can of air to blow them out) or try putting it up 1/2" from the tabletop using small blocks or something on the corners.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Some Toshibas are notorious for clogging up and overheating. I fixed a friend's the other day but just blowing compressed air was not enough: blow the air in through the side inlets, while simultaneously using a vacuum cleaner on the fan grills.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Some Toshibas are notorious for clogging up and overheating. I fixed a friend's the other day but just blowing compressed air was not enough: blow the air in through the side inlets, while simultaneously using a vacuum cleaner on the fan grills.
Yes Toshiba's filtering systme is non existent therefore dust clogs-up inside. If your laptop is on warranty, I suggest you drop by your local shop for them to physically OPEN the laptop for cleaning wich should solve the problem. My sister had recurring/worsening problem of laptop shutting down on its own because of heat. She was very fortunat Toshiba's warranty was out by only a couple days but Toshiba fixed the problem at no cost anyway. Once your laptop has been cleaned, I would suggest you use one of those cheap USB fan pads underneath your laptop in order to keep it working for a LONG time free of heat problems.

·
Registered
191 Posts
thanks for all the responses....getting it cleaned shortly and trying to use it while on something to allow to air. Kinda ridiculous considering what should be normal use.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts