Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Perhaps our friends to the south (and west) are still upset with Rick Mercer and the Saskatchewan seal hunt incident ;) .

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Don't think I saw the episode, but now I'll have to look for it on the DVR.

Canadians aren't offended by Canadian Bacon, ala John Candy are they
(awesome flick)?
Didn't think so. See no reason to be offended by an NCIS episode either.
They know your watching, and they got you all talking about NCIS,
so mission accomplished 'eh? Clever if ya ask me.

Think of it this way, maybe that was their idea of including some Canadian content to satisfy the CRTC:)

PS. - Speaking of stereotypes, personally, I like any show that is NOT shot in humdrum New York City.

·
Registered
253 Posts
One of the best Canadian tributes from an American show is from an episode of How I Met Your Mother, where they actually end up spending time in a Tim Hortons. It's practically an advertisement, but it's done respectfully, and I think that's the difference. When many shows end up referring to Canada, it tends to feel snarky, and feeling like they're laughing at, rather than laughing with us. I'll always have more respect with a comedian if they actually research their subject and be able to push buttons that way by making it respectful, yet funny for everyone including their subject, otherwise the comedian comes across as ignorant and most often isn't funny because it's a tired stereotype that they're propagating. If they could put a little bit more effort into their jokes, then they wouldn't be so bad.

Yeah, Canadian Bacon is a good example of a good tribute. It worked because Canadians and Americans were involved in the production and they were respectful towards each other.

·
Registered
699 Posts
How can we expect others not to stereotype when we ourselves used every single one possible during the Vancouver Olympics closing ceremony. The whole world only knows us from the stereotypes...its sad but true. Same goes for most other countries...think about how much we know about Europeans, Australians, Asians, etc... its all stereotypes.

·
Registered
360 Posts
NCIS is my favorite show. I didn't take that episode too serious. In fact, I laughed and thought to myself "You dirty stereotypical uneducated Americans". But hey, we just need more of our Canadian comedians to turn the heat up on them. The show isn't a serious show and it was still a funny episode.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Relax peeps...we have to be able to laugh at ourselves.

I thought it was hillarious...and because it was so over the top...I think it was meant to be just that.

The other thing to remember is that lots of tv writers are Canadian...not too sure about NCIS though...

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
NCIS have always been a tongue-in-cheek show. I don't take offence to that. That's just my personal opinion, though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
@ scary bob...

...which owes its mild weather to the Pacific ocean, not its location
But that is it's location....!!!

You've just logically and geographically shot a hole in your own argument...at the same time as contradict yourself.

Wow...you are AWESOME!

Where's the "L" over the forehead smilie? Seriously. :eek:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Paid Messages

If our fearless leader is paying the networks to profile Canada, the message should be, none of the 911 terrorists came from or passed through Canada.
Sharon Engle is a moron but she is not alone.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts