Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody watched the season premiere of NCIS 2 weeks ago?

I mean, the show is smart enough into their ballistic investigations, great jokes into dialogues, but the writer failed perfectly into research of what Canada is about.

For the 1st half of the episode, McGee was sent to the US/Canada border. When he spoke remotely from there via MTAC, you could see the most stereotypical crap ever created: He was wearing a big winter hat and was constantly poked around by a horse and you could see Royal Canadian Mounted Police officers in the background. WTF? Then during the conversation, he said something like "it's september and it's snowing, I wanna go home". He's on the US/Canada border, not in Nunavut! When McGee came back to the office, DiNozzo went on with typical canadian jokes: seen a moose or a beaver? french-canadians, Céline Dion singing the national anthem...

This is from the IMDb:
Factual errors: RCMP officers only wear their Red Serge dress uniform during ceremonial duties; they would never be worn while investigating a crime scene. The same is true for the 'Mounted' part of their name - only the 32 members of the Cavalry unit who participate in the Musical Ride are mounted. The concept of having RCMP officers mounted on horses in their Red Serge on daily operations is beyond laughable - simply stereotypical, along with the idea that there was snow in September just north of the US/Canadian border.
NCIS is shot in Santa Clarita, California, and that episode was written by Gary Glasberg, who is also the executive producer, and directed by Dennis Smith.

Interesting fact, Michael Weatherly (DiNozzo) spent 2 years in Vancouver BC between 2000-2001 to shot James Cameron's Dark Angel TV series with Jessica Alba, he should know better, but I'm aware that actors have no choice but to say what the writers put in the script and follow the director.

Also, like any other patriotic american show, mexicans are drug dealers, all of them. Going to Paris? The person you are looking for is located at the bottom of the Eiffel Tower. Going to Middle East? They're all islamic extremists equiped with MK-whatever machine gun wearing a turban.

Someone remind me why I'm watching this show. I don't mind the occasional jokes about canadians, but the portrayal of RCMP and snow in september at the border is beyond stupidity.

·
Registered
8,381 Posts
I've seen snow in Nakina Ont. in September.

Now for real fun try telling an American that Detroit is north of Windsor. Or that the most southern point in Ontario is about the same latitude as northern California ;-)

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Or that New Brunswick is east of Maine. I've had a few people ask me how its possible that I live in Canada, yet I live east, not north, of the US.

·
Registered
520 Posts
InMontreal, you're in way over your head. You're probably why they limit american content, because you're too sensitive.

The episode was great, and so were the jokes.

Weather in Canada is never suprising, I don't think you'd be shocked to see snow fall in september, even in southern Ontario.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
It was a good laugh. We poke enough fun and have enough misconceptions at/:)about the 300+ million South of most of us.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
It is NOT a reality show........

I found it funny, but then I am not Canadian......lol

·
Registered
225 Posts
Thin skin alert?

I saw the episode as well and thought it was quite funny. Weather in Canada is all too unpredictable.

I remember sailing into Toronto Harbour just before Labour Day on a friends sailboat and we had a snow/hail squall out by the Leslie Street spit and had to gear up in sweaters etc it was so cold. When we reached Ontario Place everyone was staring at us like we were from another planet because they were still having summer. :)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Welcome to Americans, my friends. They can bomb the bollocks out of you, but they're not too good with minor details.;)

I should know, I got family there:eek:

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I don't think you'd be shocked to see snow fall in september, even in southern Ontario.
Come to Victoria. Or should I say come golfing in Victoria in the heart of winter. (Victoria being south of the 49th Parallel!)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Canada to Canadians: A modern multicultural, multilingual society with vast differences across and within regions in climate, geography, traditions etc.

Canada to Americans: An amorphous blob on their map situated above their northern border, the crossing of which will immediately immerse you in Ice Age weather conditions, and you will be confronted by eskimos and francophone lumberjacks, policed by RCMP officers on horseback wearing ceremonial red serge.

Yes, this is also a joke, as we know that enlightened Americans who are part of the real world would also laugh at the stereotype they portray. The bigger joke is that the stereotype continues as reality in the minds of so many "average" Americans who live very insular lives. However,there is no need to be offended because this is actually a progressive view compared to how they see some other parts of the world.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Regardless of the jokes Americans could care less about Canada. Canada has been mentioned in several shows in recent weeks which reminds one of the "paid" mentions in movies during the fourties and earlier. Guess it keeps the executives at our networks happy....getting a mention for all the Canadian dollars spent on American programing.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Victoria being south of the 49th Parallel!
And... Southern Ontario is south of Victoria, which owes its mild weather to the Pacific ocean, not its location. I guess Americans are not the only people with misconceptions about Canada. ;)

I, too, thought the scenes with McGee in Canada was hilarious. Canada often gets referenced in some TV shows because the shows are filmed in Canada. There's nothing like a little local humour to lighten things up. BTW, NCIS is filmed in California but the fictional location is Washington, DC.

·
Banned
320 Posts
:rolleyes:

I'm emailing IMDb to remove that "Factual error" from their website. Clearly some irate Canadian just uploaded it there in his infinite rage at an American show making some lighthearted jokes about Canada. Really? What did you want them to say, that Canada's culture is just a generic copy of America's except we have better health care? What may seem like an insult to Canadians, is actually just an honest portrayal of what are seen as the only unique aspects of Canadian culture.

What an embarrassment this country is sometimes.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts