Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
March Madness on Demand is working for me now, but does anyknow know if they're going to geoblock it from Canada starting tomorrow?

·
Registered
142 Posts
TSN's March Madness Coverage

Wow.

Is it ever poor. First, they're broadcasting each day as a full 8~ hour broadcast instead of breaking up the guide into individual games. If you're looking to PVR a specific match, you're screwed because they're not telling you which games are on which channels in the guide info.

Secondly they keep cutting away from the end of the game right after the final whistle. I get it, they're court surfing but at least split screen it or something. I want to see the reactions and stuff. Half the time, they're leaving the broadcast right after the final whistle just to cut back to the studio.

Finally, they're jumping about. They just switched mid dribble from the UCONN-Bucknell game to show the start of Belmont/Wisconsin. I get it, there's a lot to fit in, but why in the heck would you switch mid-effing-dribble... wait till a break at least.

I love how in the states, they're got four channels showing each game. Here, we get stuck with TSN and they're poor desk crew saying horribly stupid things about a league they never follow beyond the week leading up to the tournament.

Oh how I'd love for The Score to be covering this.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
The Score did it to an even worse degree in previous years. All The Score did was cut from game to game.

The US nets are cutting to commercial break right after the games for the most part, then coming back for post game reaction. Not a whole lot different than what TSN is doing.

They probably don't have it divided up in the guide because they don't know what games they will show for sure. It depends what is interesting. Once again, no different than what The Score did.

The UConn game was simply bonus coverage. Would you rather they showed a commercial?

As for their studio, Cybulski is terrible. I like Armstrong and Rautins. They, especially Rautins since he coaches the national team, know a lot about college basketball. Of course nobody can touch Charles Barkley and the guys over at CBS.

Based on what you are complaining about, I'd think you would hate The Score's coverage even more.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Just like we figured TSN has really dropped teh ball. I have two tv's going with both tsn and tsn2 on them and maybe at most 15% of the time tehre are two games on. Then tonight TSN decided to feature cbs games all night, thanks TSN, more people in Canada actually get CBS than they do TSN.

·
Registered
16 Posts
TSN

Not only are they showing the same games on TSN as on CBS, they're not showing the scores of the other games on the screen. I'm already missing the low-budget fun of The Score's presentation.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I prefer not having the scores across the top of the screen. I find it annoying and distracting. 99% of the time people complain about the networks running a ticker during live sports.

Considering Gonzaga were playing last night, and the team is loaded with Canadians, I have no problem with TSN showing it. It is the game that almost every Canadian wanted to watch. Otherwise they have been pretty good to feature games from the Turner networks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
But every Canadian could have just turned to CBS to watch it. I don't get it. The first round of the tournament is about watching as many games as possible not watching Canadians play basketball.

Hands down everything the score did was better coverage.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I was just wondering why the National Championship Game on April 4th is on TSN2, and not TSN?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Over the course of the day I see no reason for TSN to show CBS games. We should get 3 of the 4 US games.

As for Gonzaga, I get why TSN showed it. If you're TSN, since Canadians are probably most interested in this game, why not carry it on TSN? From a business standpoint it makes perfect sense. You are hoping people will tune into the game on TSN thereby having eyes on your sponsors. If you can draw people away from CBS, that's more eyes on your sponsors.

Granted, TSN should have made a deal with The Score and/or Sportsnet. To allow for all the games to be aired. I realize Sportsnet and TSN working together is like the Hatfields and McKoys. But, it would be win-win for TSN and Sportsnet. Yes I know they did for the Olympics, but initially TSN was not supposed to be part of that comglomerate. Seems to me the broadcast rights were awarded to CTV before they owned TSN, which is why they partnered with Rogers Sportsnet. TSN was in with CBC on their bid package. But after the rights were awarded, TSN was purchased by CTV and voila, TSN now had the Olympics.

At any rate, I am glad they have the March Madness on Demand. The only thing I dislike is the fact they lock it, so you can't switch games during a commercial. Otherwise, I like that if I am bored with (or could care less about the halftime coverage, since I have to keep it muted at work) I can switch to another game. Sucks that my computer at home is too buggy to watch it there.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Has to be a mistake for TSN2 on April 4th, as thats a monday, and TSN2 always picks up the Versus hockey game. (in fact, yahoo has TSN2 showing the Bos-NYR game).

And lol at Cybulski.. what... McGuire wasnt available?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Actually according to the NHL on TSN website http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=29181 it only lists a game for that week on Apr. 6th which is Toronto at NJ and Apr. 10th Teams TBA.
Yep, you are correct that tsn has no nhl listed on the 4th (although yahoo says they do)

So wtf is so important on that Monday night that they would push the championship game to tsn2? Curling maybe?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Hands down everything the score did was better coverage.
Once again I'm probably in the minority, but I love being able to see all of Villanova-George Mason this afternoon, not just 1/4 of it like I would have seen on The Score.

Shootmaster, TSN was always supposed to be part of the CTV Olympic package. CTV has owned TSN for about 10 years now. Sportsnet and TSN working together now just isn't going to happen. They hate, and I mean hate, each other. Execs are jumping ship from one network to the other, they are in huge wars for programming and even on-air personalities in the middle of the war with contract offers from both. There have been people within the networks that aren't even sure how 2012 will work.

Really, best case would have been if Sportsnet got coverage. This would be the one event where having 5 channels would work good.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Same game (Arizona-Memphis) is being shown on TSN, TSN2 and CBS right now. I'm more than fine with it being on TSN2 and CBS (only 2 competitive games going right now), but TSN should be showing FSU-Texas A&M.

·
Registered
142 Posts
They did the same thing this evening. TSN1 showing the RedBull stuff, TSN2 showing same game as CBS.

Really disappointing. Would love to have The Score doing their court surfing with all the talent they have there to break down the games and TSN just showing the games, scheduled so you could choose.

Also has anyone else noticed CBS dropping to a slightly blurry feed when they cut to commercial or bring up lower thirds? Happens occasionally during the games.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts