Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone heard anything on what is going to happen with this new schedule in Canada? Any chance we get lucky and sportsnet makes the most of its 4 channels, or even better and rogers gets us Mega March Madness?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Try the FAN 590. Almost everyone there despises sports played outside North America, the NHL, and the World Juniors, but loves sports played exclusively by Middle American teenagers.;)

·
Registered
689 Posts
Looking at The Score website I find it surprisingly uninformative for a channel that is aimed at younger people with their presenters constantly referencing their website. Maybe their Apps are great - I've no idea - but their website is mediocre.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Their website is terrible. From a Canadian perspective, coverage of the tournament is really no different than before. In the past, you could watch a game on your local CBS station and live action from all games on The Score, Court Surfing style. This year the same thing will happen, except instead of the other games being on CBS channels you don't get, they will be on Turner channels you don't get.

·
Registered
135 Posts
TSN will produce an original studio show for pre- and post-game analysis, along with live look-ins to various games.
Looks like they are going to do court surfing similar to what The Score did in the past. I can't imagine with all of TSN's other commitments that different games will be available simultaneously on both TSN and TSN2.

One nice thing, at least in past years, was that the NCAA retained international streaming rights. I've always just stuck to whatever is on CBS Buffalo unless there was a particular game I wanted to see, in which case I watched online. This year looks like I'll be doing the same thing.

It would be fantastic to see the TBS, TNT and TruTV games on the Super Sport Pack. I just can't see it happening. TSN will probably claim exclusive rights. Last year even CBS College Sports was blacked out for the entire tournament.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I think that TSN/TSN2 would choose Turner games over CBS simply because I think they would get more viewers for an exclusive game than a non-exclusive game. It is quite possible that we will see games involving Duke, Syracuse, Texas etc. on TBS/TNT in the States.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Posts deleted and subject edited.

Folks learn to play nice or infractions will be issued.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I assume this is that basketball tournament that The Score used to show replacing their exclusive coverage of certain Premier League football matches.

Given that some of those Premier League games are now on TSN2 I assume we can expect the same derisory treatment of the world's number 1 sport from TSN/TSN2 just so that we can see that some very tall guys can actually drop a ball in a basket from 2 inches again and again and again .....

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Obed, you would be incorrect. TSN2's Premier League broadcasts in March are all on Saturday mornings and Monday afternoons. There are no NCAA basketball games scheduled at those times.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I look foreward to the TSN Bottomline with zero ncaa basketball scores, much like what happens during the NCAA saturday afternoon games.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Not sure what I was incorrect about, but my thanks to Josh all the same for confirming no NCAA games will clash on Saturday/Monday.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
You were wrong because there won't be "same derisory treatment of the world's number 1 sport". Also I think TSN and TSN2 consider soccer more important than NCAA, but that is a topic for another day.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This may not be bad, the score didn't come up with the idea to use the court surfing feature. TSN was the first CDN channel that showed it a long time ago and came up with teh court surfing technique.

·
Registered
689 Posts
You're right. Can't remember what year it was (1996?), but TSN did whip-around coverage that one year and Gord Miller was the host.

Anyway, just saw a promo. They're promising full games on both TSN and TSN2. Maybe a sort of hybrid thing like the Sportsnet days.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I wonder if they will do a whiparound coverage on TSN2 and show a full live game on TSN? Would be a million times better than the garbage that both of those channels show during the day anyway.

I just hope they take a look at which games are being carried on the local US channels that are on cable here and carry a different game. Nothing irks me more about NFL coverage on CTV when they show the same game that is on FOX/CBS. I'm just glad that I get Spokane CBS here, so I can watch Gonzaga's games in full here. I just wish Shaw had Spokane channels on HD.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
All of Gonzaga's games won't be on CBS Spokane. CBS will have one national game. It is quite likely that Gonzaga games will be on TBS/TNT/TruTV.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Really? The way I had understood it was that the play-in round (whatever they are calling it) was to be shared with the other channels. But as with previous years CBS was showing the main tournament.

That actually stinks for us Canadians. I guess I will have to revert to watching March Madness on Demand for Gonzaga's non-CBS games. However, if CBS is showing one game nationally, that is actually better since that means if Gonzaga is playing it will be on CBS Seattle/Detroit in HD.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts