Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

901 - 920 of 925 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Pretty much - do you have anywhere that you can mount an antenna high (at least 50ft)? It may improve some of the grey channels (3 and on) - but isn't worth investing in a tower or anything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pretty much - do you have anywhere that you can mount an antenna high (at least 50ft)? It may improve some of the grey channels (3 and on) - but isn't worth investing in a tower or anything.
50 feet eh? The top of the barn might be 30-35 . A few years ago I got a free dish and service through a program with Shaw for a different camp , maybe I'll investigate this route, thanks

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
hello all. I just purchased a camp in rural nb. If i am reading this correctly my ota options are nill? Please confirm thanks.
TV Fool
Based on your report you have a good chance for the first two channels with a preamp and this antenna:
Stellar Labs Deep Fringe Directional Antenna VHF-Hi HDTV 174 - 230MHz | 30-2476 (302476) | Stellar Labs

BUT, you report isn't very accurate; you need to use coordinates for a better analysis. Move the cursor to the location of the antenna on the interactive map and generate a report by clicking on the upper right of the map to make radar plot:
TV Fool

Don't forget to enter the antenna height below the map.

Any trees in the signal path from 250 degrees magnetic?

·
Registered
4 Posts
paulnb,
What the others have said is spot on. The rolling hills of NB might surprise you but it will likely be very site specific. Those first two stations should be attainable with even a well-built DIY antenna if you're in a good spot. Fifty feet height would be great but even twenty will help. Make a tester on a long stick and see what you can catch before you give up or sink in a tonne of cash I say. At least it will be all or nothing since they're digital instead of analog.

If you want that PBS station however, you probably will have to resort to a ready-made directional as high as you can get it and even then it would be take a bit of luck. Enjoy the new camp!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Lately I have been trying to install a simple $0 antenna that would receive all 3 HD stations from Halifax. My tvfool report is TV Fool. I found the longest piece of small gauge wire I had (about 20 feet of 20 gauge) and cut it into two pieces of the same length. I connected each piece to the screw terminals of a spare 300 to 75 ohm antenna transformer I had and plugged the F-type connector on the transformer to the TV antenna connector. I strung each wire diagonally up and away from the back of the TV to form an upward-facing vee with included angle of about 80 degrees. The vee happens to "point" roughly toward Halifax. I receive channels 3.1, 5.1 and 8.1 reliably. My TV diagnostics show 0 errors. It is the best simple antenna I've had at this location where I've had difficulty being able to receive all channels with one simple antenna. I also don't need to move the antenna as I change between channels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fredericton New Brunswick Fish Aquarium on OTA channels 2 and 9?

Hi.

I am just west of Fredericton New Brunswick and have a cheap amplified outdoor Philips HDTV antenna. I turned on the TV and switched to the antenna this morning and didn't see any of my usual channels (CBC, CTV, GLOBAL) I figured the antenna finally croaked or the weather was causing a low signal. Anyway, I did a scan and now see a Fish Tank screen saver on DTV channels 2 and 19. I have no idea where these are coming from. Any ideas? I double checked inputs and it is definitely connected to the antenna.

Are there new channels testing in this area? Is this my neighbour using some kind of broadcast device like a sling TV or something?

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you're still on the fence, make your own antenna I say.

With the big three networks having towers practically in your back yard, I'd make a quick DIY rig before spending any coin just to see what you get. That close and I'll bet a one-coat-hanger folded dipole you can make in minutes will catch lots of signal near a window as a test then move it to the attic as you describe to keep the wife happy. Worst case upgrading to a SBGH should get you plenty and be less than $10 in parts.

As for your runs, I'm using a 45' feed of good shielded coax with no problems. Think about two (cheap DIY) antennas for your two different locations as well. Might be cheaper/easier/better than a splitter.

Good luck.
Hey, I apologize for the lack of response to your post! I got sidetracked by other things and never got back to this. Anyway, I took the chance and this past weekend, I put a RCA ANT751R in my attic, ran RG-6 to my home theatre and I get all 3 of the available channels in this area - crystal clear. Since I run a projector, I needed a tuner, so I also got the Channel Master DVR+. Setup was a breeze, but I have one problem - occasional audio dropouts and jerky video when playing back recordings. I got the Seagate Expansion 1TB HD (STEA1000400).:frown However, when I set up the DVR, I forgot to download the software updates right away. So, I'm hoping that future recordings won't have that issue, now that I've installed the updates. We'll see...

·
Registered
1 Posts
TV channels with antenna in Caledonia, Queens CO. NS ??

What kind of antenna will bring in a few channels at least, in the geographical center of the provence ? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
16,559 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi folks.

I'm interested to know if there are several spots on the Nova Scotia coast that allow reception of US DTV stations. If a high gain antenna was used in a coastal location near Yarmouth, for example, is it possible to pick up the ME or MA DTV transmitters year-round?

I've seen a video over on Youtube of Boston stations being received from somewhere in NS under DX conditions (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz6RhB6MYxU) but I am interested in finding out if there are regions where such stations (Boston, Portland, Bangor etc) can be received regularly.

Anyone here from the area that can comment?

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Hello, rabrol

I'm not from the area, but the tvfool report doesn't look promising even at an antenna height of 500 feet.
TV Fool

It looks like WLBZ in Bangor might be possible, but it is on channel 2 which would require a BIG antenna for VHF-Low.

In theory, it isn't possible to receive signals below a NM of -15 dB because they are below the thermal noise floor. If you are able to receive a signal with a NM below -15 dB, either the tvfool report is wrong or the signal has been enhanced by tropospheric propagation.

The coverage map shows the signal can make it to Bar Harbor, but not Yarmouth.

I think the main problem is the curvature of the earth that starts to block signals at about 70 miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the detailed report!
I was quite surprised to see the guy getting stations from Boston - that's a 500km trip to Nova Scotia. That's why I was asking.
I know lots of things are possible with DX (I used to talk from Ireland to Belgium & France on 4 watts FM CB radio when I was a kid, and picked up the 10m FM US repeaters and 33MHz signals from Virginia, Washington etc during the sunspot cycles).

Wondering if anyone can shed light on the frequency of good atmospheric conditions. Reading through the comments on the YouTube video indicated that Summer DX was more frequent than Winter.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
eading through the comments on the YouTube video indicated that Summer DX was more frequent than Winter.
Yes, that's when it happens. You can learn more about Tropospheric Propagation here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropospheric_propagation

The most useful forecasts of Tropospheric Propagation are produced by a Canadian, William R. Hepburn:
http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo.html

Wondering if anyone can shed light on the frequency of good atmospheric conditions.
It depends upon the maximum usable frequency (MUF).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_usable_frequency

When I was thinking about your question, I wondered what antenna would be needed in Yarmouth. Maybe a Channel Master 3617B on a tall building or an abandoned lighthouse:

or a custom yagi for channel 2.

·
Registered
164 Posts
GlobalTV HD OTA is down in New Glasgow, NS

does anybody know what happened to the New Glasgow, NS GlobalTV HD tower. the signal have been out since dec 26 2017. what going on.

·
Registered
861 Posts
On Christmas Day and Boxing Day, a powerful storm made its way across the region and brought hurricane-force wind gusts. NSP says 158,000 customers lost electricity in the storm, so I am guessing that the Global tower also came down along with hundreds of power poles.

901 - 920 of 925 Posts