Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

861 - 880 of 926 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Has the MPBN xmitter always been that low power? I guess American stations are going to be hard to come by, but I have an FTA receiver that picks up LPB on 83w (can't get 125w, too low on horizon) so that should satisfy the PBS crave.

The CBC thing is still incredibly annoying, guess I'll have to live with it though.

I was looking at winegard since it supported VHF as well, as I know the St. John xmitters are both digital (it's the only digital CTV around here) and I was going to try to aim for that since they use to come in here on rabbit ears on analog, and fall back on yarmouth/calidonia if it's too weak.

I will look around at those others though, I don't see why the yarmouth ones couldn't come in, tvfool says they'll be quite strong.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
jsebean said:
I don't see why the yarmouth ones couldn't come in, tvfool says they'll be quite strong.
That's exactly what smallj is saying. :) A good UHF antenna up there (see Antenna Chart) will get you those stations very strongly. As for anything else, you would be making heroic efforts for almost no guarantee of reliable reception. If you want to pull out all the stops, see my Deepest Fringe prescription in the OTA FAQ.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just a note on this, I looped up some coax and hung it on the wall, just to get it out of the way. No antenna, just a coax loop. I thought it would be funny if I got something with it considering it's sheilded and not hooked to anything, but I scanned anyway and to my surprise it actually receives the two UHF channels. Global is coming in nicely in HD LOL.

In this case, would those leaf antennas work? I hear they're good indoor antennas, and considering my coax loop worked, wouldn't the leaf have better gain?

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
jsebean said:
would those leaf antennas work? I hear they're good indoor antennas
If it is on the Antenna Chart you will have the best. If it is not, don't buy it, and don't believe what you might read about it somewhere else. We are the experts.

·
Registered
931 Posts
My attitude is that if it costs pocket change (< $15), then why not give it a try? If you want to spend real money(> $25), stick to the list, seriously. Stampeder is amazing with his knowledge of this stuff.

Also, almost everything with an integrated amplifier is trash. Amplifiers are for overcoming cable and splitting losses.

Are you handy at all? There are some good DIY antennas.
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=140206

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hey there jsebean, i live close to weymouth too. I have a small antenna about 25ft high with a booster. I get ch 12 and 9 vhf from saint john in high def. some days i get 13 from maine (pbs) by turning my rotor. And during the summer i get from 3 to a dozen more channels out of maine. My antenna is beat up too so it should be better when i put a newer bigger one up, hopefully this summer.

·
Registered
117 Posts
We got the HD8200U antenna since we the folks here had actually ordered it before posting. We put it up last night on a tripod on the roof before the storm came (now the roof is full of snow from the storm today so I'm glad we got it up last night), it was fairly easy to unfold and install, although it was missing one bolt. Luckily we have a bunch in the workshop.

We aimed it to St. John and tried to scan. The TV sat on 12 and 9 for some time in contrast to the other channels but couldn't pull them in. We have a distribution amp (although we initially hooked directly without splitting). I ran out of compression connectors so I'm using a slightly longer coax than ideal.

We don't have a preamp yet (it's on the way) so we pointed the antenna toward Yarmouth and are getting the Global signal DTV and CTV analog. The analog signal is disgusting though, it's quite fuzzy, text is barely readable (small text is not). The signal meter on the TV for Global, which has 4 blocks has 3 filled in and says "Good" signal.

I was a little disappointed on the amount of snow on the TV on the analog signal considering I've seen friends with rabbit ears in a shed get it much clearer, but I guess our house is on a downhill slope a bit. It's probably a little less than 30' up, but after you go up the hill it would probably make it around 20-25'. There are trees toward the St. John signals but when the antenna points toward Yarmouth it's looking on an open field.

I expect the preamp will help with the analog signal, but I'm hoping I can aim to St. John and get the DTV ones like you (ta guy) since they almost came in, as well as shortening up the coax once my compression F connectors arrive. Got 50 on ebay for $15, Home Hardware in Weymouth wants $22 for 12 ha!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Well at least you're making headway. I'd think about a tower if you can to gain more height and get the saint john feeds. Then maybe in the summer you could get some from maine. I used to get a lot but my antenna really took a beating. Time for a new one.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks. We were thinking about a tower or something similar (telescoping mast, may be easier than erecting a tower?). The way the house is situated is on once side there is deep forest, lots of trees, the other side is open to a nice big field (the yarmouth signals). The side with all the trees doesn't seem to be an ideal place for the antenna if we intend to aim for St. John since they're right in the way.

Also on the field side of the house that is open also happens to be where the drops come into the house for power/phone/internet, which kind of makes it a bit tricky at the angle they come off the house to put up a tower, and if anyone dropped something by mistake onto the wires that would be a mess.

The front doesn't seem idea either since it's, well, in front, and the back slopes off so we'd lose height.

Gotta pick one side or the other, I know lol, but in the mean time we're trying the roof. The mast we've got seems a little stubby and keeps the antenna a little low on the roof, you've gotta crawl on your hands and knees to get under it haha, so as soon as these blasted snowstorms get over with and I can get back up there we are going to put in a much nicer mast that we had on a really old beat up antenna from the past (found it in the snow bank haha. A little rusty, but still in rock solid shape.)

I am a bit concerned with the 600MHz auction considering the Yarmouth stations are both in that frequency range (40 and 45). With the recent CRTC ruling, even though I think they made the right choice, things are already stirred up enough as it is, stirring the pot any more might just drive them to shut some of their stuff down. OTA is already hanging by a thread as it is. On the other hand, if they do it before 2017, since Bell has committed to OTA until then, we might see them upgrade their CTV xmitter to DTV? Fingers crossed :p I would love to see that happen, then I wouldn't even care about the Saint John feeds.

Receiving a few stations from Maine would be super, but we are also setting up an FTA receiver (again, unhooked it back last summer when the "Hurricane" in June blew the dish apart). We got LPB on it (125w, the other PBS bird is too far on the horizon for us) so not getting MPBN won't be that big of a deal. It would be a fun project though, just to capture it on good days like we did in the analog days.

Eagerly waiting on my stuff to arrive in the mail now lol. Patience is a virtue?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Well hope it all works. I have a felling that those yarmouth channels will be shut down someday. I had hooked up an fta with a 36" fortec star dish but i took it down. I had it on my porch roof and though one day it was going to rip the boards out of the roof. Make sure it's solid. I think i'm going to try again someday.

·
Registered
117 Posts
haha yeah, solid mounting is key. Ours was on the roof, 36 inches as well, it catches the wind nicely up there. This time we'll be mounting it lower on the wall so it shouldn't catch wind as much :)

Apparently Bell promised to keep all of their OTA channels operating until 2017, and shaw upgraded their Global channel in Yarmouth to DTV less than a year ago, you'd think they wouldn't go back on that investment. If the auction happens before then (I have no idea) we might even see CTV yarmouth go DTV if it has to transition to a lower channel. That's an incredibly optimistic theory though, I really don't trust those companies, especially Bell, since they're the ones that have neglected to upgrade to DTV anyway and pushed the CRTC to shut down their OTA Xmitters.

That's probably wishful thinking. Hopefully I can pull in the St. John stations (I think I'll be able to when it's all said and done). They are VHF so I don't think they're screwing with those channels... yet. If they do ever shut down Yarmouth though and I can get SJ feeds at least I'll have something to fall back on. That would suck for the people who live there though. I really hope they don't end up shutting them down.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I just figured saint john being a city that they'd keep em turned on. Yarmouth well, nobody seems to care about us down here. Same here on the fta. I will do it again in different spot, maybe even with a motor on it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Compared to out West, especially Ontario the amount of OTA channels to be gotten here if you cannot get many American ones from Maine makes it almost not worth it, which is why I don't want to spend too much on my OTA setup, I just want to get my locals.

But I agree regarding the St. John bit, especially since both are converted DTV.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My CBC signal has always been around 98% but for the last 2 weeks or so it has been cutting out a lot (audio/video, every other second) anytime a stationary image comes on the screen. Once some movement is in the picture again it stops cutting out. Has anyone else been experiencing this.
The problem has been fixed. I contacted CBC and after some investigation they determined that there were reception issues with the CBC DTV service so they rebooted some equipment and it fixed my problem

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was just wondering if anyone on here is watching NTV on 21.1 out here in eastern Newfoundland.

Over the last couple weeks, the 21.1 signal has gone more or less to crap...multipath I think. I was trying to figure out if the problem is from the transmission side or if something local has mucked up the signal. The CBC signal on 8.1 is unaffected. 21.1 has never been as strong as 8.1, but recently, the strength and / or quality of 21.1 has been jumping around from OK to pretty much 0. Over the weekend it was not too bad, good most times just a few instances of picture loss...but as of early today, practically no signal reception on any of my tuners.

I contacted NTV last week, but there was no response......unlike when I had an issue with CBC, the chief engineer was in contact within a day or so.....

I hope it is only a temporary situation as I really do not want to have to go the cable TV route!!!!!

Cheers,
P.E.H.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Do your rabbit ears have a UHF loop? I assume they must to get CBC and CTV which are actually on 39 and 48. To add Global in to the mix and firm up the other 2, you should get an outdoor antenna up on the roof. If you point a UHF antenna towards Wolfville for CIHF 20, you could probably pick up CBC and CTV Halifax off the back side, especially if you remove any reflectors. Or you could point a combo VHF/UHF towards Halifax.

I don't know if there are any stores in NS that sell decent Antenna gear so Amazon and Saveandreply are your best bets. Have a look at Stampeder's Antenna chart for choices. Don't buy anything not on the chart.

No matter what Antenna you use, you'll never get more than the big 3 networks. There is just nothing else in range.

·
Registered
3 Posts
thank-you smallmj. No uhf loop. Rabbit ears only. I think I am getting vhf signal.
I think I will build my own. Which model do you recommend. The Gray-Hoverman?
The only channels I can expect to get will be 39 - 48 - and 20 correct?

·
Registered
931 Posts
There is no VHF signal for CTV or CBC in your area, so you are picking up UHF signals with your VHF rabbit ears. If you want to firm up those signals a very cheap UHF loop or bowtie may be sufficient. You'll have to get fancier for Global.

I usually say not to waste money on anything not on Stampeder's list, but if you see a UHF loop or bowtie at a dollar store then give it a try.

If you are handy a DIY may be the way to go. There are several good options in the forums here like to GH or M4, or the Hentenna if you are less handy.

With a fancy rooftop antenna you could pick up more channels, but they are all duplicates of 39, 48, and 20/8. Most are analog CTV repeaters.

861 - 880 of 926 Posts