Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 80 of 925 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Ridge Runner...

I don't think you have much of a great selection for OTA in the Moncton, NB area. You should have the usual suspects from Moncton, CTV, CBC, SRC, Global. None are digital. You do have at least 3 DTV stations on the Maine/NB border. Two in Presque Isle, ME, and one in Calais,ME. But I don't think their signals will reach Moncton, NB.

Here is the FCC site for DTV. Just type in your Postal Code for the map.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/maps/

·
Registered
317 Posts
Thanks anyway Stampeder, I can get (and apparently will continue to get) CBC, CBC (French) and CTV.........not exactly a TV viewer's paradise!!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,436 Posts
Yeah....no sign of NBC, CBS or FOX anywhere near us...

·
Registered
880 Posts
Danster, are you located near Fredricton? You just might be on the edge of getting the Presque Ilse stations.
If so, recheck your area after June 12, 2009
I think WAGM-DT (CBS in HD & FOX in SD) is currently on UHF at low power. After the June 12th date, it's suppose to return to VHF 8. And the PBS station on VHF 10 is suppose to be pumping out 14.5 kw at this point.

You can always e-mail WAGM-DT and find out what their final power output is suppose to be, and let them know where you're located. They will never apply for an increase of power output if they don't know that people are trying to receive their station.

·
Super Moderator
6,436 Posts
Yes I am very close to Fredericton. I used the fcc web site for possible signal in my area but according to their site, I was SOL.

Would I need a big antenna to get their signal? Does that mean I have to build a Yagi Hoverman or whatever its called, type of antenna?

·
Registered
880 Posts
I'm not sure what type of antenna you would need, since as of June 12th, the two stations in Presque Isle, ME will be transmitting on VHF. I know that you can stack, or combine two antennas to increase your range. But, I'm no expert. The guy who can probably answer all your questions is Stampeder.

But, I do suggest you e-mail WAGM & WMEM (Maine PBS). Tell them your location. See what they say.

I did some checking up. Currently WAGM-DT 16 is transmitting at 3 kw. That is very low for UHF. As of June 12th, they are suppose to return to Channel 8, and transmit at 6.9 kw. Much better. But, can this signal reach where you are without the digital cliff effect happening. Not sure.

I'm in the Montreal area, and I can tell you that lots of folks in this area pick up the phone, or e-mail the border stations in Vermont, and upstate NY. Some have responded with increase of power such as WCAX-DT which will increase it's power in August. There are three other stations in the area that have also applied to increase their power (WCFE-DT, WNPI-DT, WPBS-DT). So, I do suggets you e-mail the Presque Isle stations, and let them know your location, and that you want to receive their signals.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,878 Posts
Ya Blackburst I think Danster might have to take some heroic measures to get Presque Isle, ME.

Danster, can you do the step-by-step instructions in Post #10 of the OTA FAQ to see what the signal predictions say? There may be hope but then again there may not.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I am also waiting baited breath for the cutover as I am about 20 KM closer linearly to PI than Danster. I also have the advantage of being on the side of a hill that faces towards PI.

Dan, one thing that will be in our favour is that the transmitters in PI are on the top of Mars Hill so that is quite a pile of elevation. Mars Hill is 480 m elevation and there is nothing taller from there to Fredericton. I am 105 KM and you are about 120 KM. My elevation is only 112 m. I used Google Earth for the information.

Here is the TVFool report for my location.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=249d10ef2ef593

Here is for hope!!!

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,878 Posts
que3jxp, try running TVFool with the Post-Transition Digital button clicked - I think you had it on Present Digital.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,878 Posts
You'll definitely get PBS on 10 but for CBS on 16 you'll need a very good VHF/UHF antenna up nice and high with a preamp.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Don't forget WAGM-DT (CBS, FOX) will be on VHF 8 at 6.9 kw on June 12th.

Also, the FCC site lists another channel that is suppose to go on air. I think it'll be on Ch. 47 and if I'm not mistaken a NBC afflliate. At what date, no idea.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Well, if it is at all feasable, I will likely do it. Where my house is still HTPC on Saage and now with a WHS at the heart, I will likely get an HDHR and go right to town.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,878 Posts
It looks like channel 47 in Presque Isle was granted a Construction Permit in 2006 but nothing seems to have gone forward, and any licences and permits for it expire at the end of June, 2009 so it looks like whatever it was supposed to be never got built out.

·
Super Moderator
6,436 Posts

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,878 Posts
Ya you'd need to have a very high gain antenna like a DBGH to get the PBS station but it looks like the CBS station would not make it. If/when the Canadian stations go digital you'd have several to choose from.

·
Registered
880 Posts
61 - 80 of 925 Posts