Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
381 - 400 of 929 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
It 9:30PM AST and it still analog in PEI and New Glasgow NS.

Channels in New Glasgow

4 - CBC
9 - CTV
13 - CBC PEI
15 - Radio Canada
34 - Global

·
Registered
115 Posts
clc422, you need an antenna that covers VHF and UHF, from channels 8-48. This generally means a bigger antenna. Higher is often better, but attics can play havoc with reception if there's metal ducting present or the wrong type of roofing material. Outdoor is better (if properly grounded), and rooftop can be better still, but depending on what's between you and the transmitter you may be better off trying different horizontal rather than vertical positions first.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
It 9:30PM AST and it still analog in PEI and New Glasgow NS.

Channels in New Glasgow

4 - CBC
9 - CTV
13 - CBC PEI
15 - Radio Canada
34 - Global
Of these stations, only CBC PEI on channel 13 is slated to convert to digital. All the others will remain broadcasting in analog, as New Glasgow is not on the list of mandatory markets.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Still no digital CTV here in Moncton, They have their UHF antenna installed, but still no RF.

CBAFT 11.1 is in 720p.

Does anybody know if CBC Charlottetown, channel 13, has made the switch? Would really like to receive that here in Moncton.

·
Registered
55 Posts
A scan here in St. John's this morning (I gave up with no luck at 12:30 AM!) shows CBC HD with a signal strength of 90, S/N 32 on my SONY LCD; 100 on my AccessHD converters and 98 -100 on my Channel Master 7000PAL. This is a much stronger signal than NTV HD (75-76 S/N 20-21; 44-48 and 69-71) even though CBC 8.1 is ~15KW vs NTV 21.1 ~228KW
The picture looks quite nice.

On the AccessHD converters, the channel shows as 8-3 versus 8-1 on the other two units.

The resolution is 1280 x 720p 60Hz. HD yes, but why not 1920 x 1080i? The SONY and AccessHD both show 720p, but the Channel Master is set to output 1080i, so it is "upconverting" the 720p signal.

There are two audio streams, DD 5.1 and DD 2.0. For the DD 5.1 stream, the mono local news (broadcasting at this writing) is through the L/R channels, not the centre channel. The other stream (extra) is 2.0 and gets processed by my Yamaha to be in the centre channel. I was baffled when I first tuned in (for a quick watch I did not turn on the stereo preamp/amp L/R speakers only the centre channel) and got no sound except on "extra". Turning on the stereo preamp finally got me sound....

The local news rebroadcast is 4 x 3 SD (but quite nice). 22 minutes was 16 x 9.

All seems well, now getting both OTA channels with no problems.....finally after all these years.

Happy viewing,
P.E.H.

·
Registered
15 Posts
CTV Moncton

I just called CKCW-TV here in Moncton. They said that they were hoping to be on the air yesterday, but have encountered transmitter troubles. According to them, it could be next week before they get on the air.

Don't forget that CTV's owner made their fortunes with copper twisted pair and rotary-dial telephones. It is no surprise that high-definition digital television is posing a challenge to them.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Hey phannon, I was hoping you'd have a report on CBC.

I was shocked to find them in HD! Didn't know they planned to do that.

Interesting that your signal is stronger for CBC than NTV. CBC's signal in the city here always seemed poor to me.. Probably due to the VHF propagating better over distance.

In fact, channel 8 was almost completely dead in the Downtown St. John's area.. so much so that many years ago they built a fill-in transmitter on channel 12 for that area (which wasn't much better in my opinion).. I could never get 12 too well where I am, but this morning it APPEARS to be gone. I was wondering if they were planning to convert that or not.

It sounds like you have a better signal than I do, and I can see the CBC tower from my window.. so that could be due to the antenna pattern.. But I am very curious to check at my friends places to see how their signal is. Usually they have had a very hard time picking up CBC on 8 in the past..

As far as I know they are using the same antenna as before, so I don't expect coverage to change much.. but I will definitely report back with an update as soon as I can.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Morning Wharfe

Even though the NTV analogue to Digital transition signal increased in output power from ~213KW to ~266KW, the signal strength (on my SONY LCD) stayed in the 75 /100 range. The CBC output power dropped from ~356KW to 15KW and the signal strength dropped slightly from 100 to 90....go figure. I always did get a really solid CBC analogue signal, only recently seeing a bit of ghosting whereas the NTV signal would range from quite good to utter crap, especially in the few months before the transition.

The NTV signal has been relatively stable, with only a few digital glitches in the past few weeks since I got the Philips antenna amp installed. So far (at least for an hour or so this morning....work cuts into the important things in life!) CBC looks rock solid, too bad it is only 1280 x 720, though it is 60p.

The news rebroadcast this morning looked solid, but still 480 blurry, especially compared to the NTV 1080 newscast! I will update if I notice anything new...

Cheers,
P.E.H.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Well, I've got an update, and if anybody else is reading from the St. John's area maybe you can chime in as well..

phannon, I'm surprised that even when NTV was on Channel 6 you didn't get them as well as CBC.. Their towers are relatively close together in the whole scheme of things.. NTV uses directional antennas but you're in the right direction.. Apparently CBC's is directional, too, but I don't know how or why..

Anyway, the interesting thing here that surprises me, is how good CBC is for you phannon (and presumably others outside the city) but how poor it is here in certain spots of the city.

I've checked with two friends, one in the downtown area who always had trouble getting CBC on 8 and the Channel 12 repeater. Another friend near central St. John's could always get CBC better on 12 than 8, but both were still bad.

As of today, they are both getting "no signal" messages, while I, very close to the tower, am getting about 50% signal on my TV..

NTV's signal has always been 100% rock solid for me (and I'm talking pre-DTV)... CBC has always been flaky... now it seems they are even worse..

Ouch!! The channel 12 CBC repeater was there because they evidently had issues with channel 8 reaching some parts of town. Now it is gone and anyone in that area seems to be really screwed..

So that's it I guess.. no more CBC for them. I assume their engineers will do testing (and are probably already aware of the weak signal areas) but doubt there will be much done about it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wharfe:

Maybe to add insult to injury, the picture quality for CBC is great and the local newscast is widescreen!!!! The sharpness seems to be better than SD, but it might just be the more stable, non ghosted signal that looks so good.

I noticed on Ryan's weather map that you could see some sort of shelving unit to the extreme right of the picture.. This is on my Channel Master over a Pioneer Pro111 in dot by dot mode, any over scan would cover it up (not seen on my CRT or even as easily on the SONY LCD) on most sets. They still have to do some tweaking to the camera positioning!

This HD digital stuff is great. I never thought I would see it here in our neck of the woods. It must be fantastic to be in the central Canada areas where you can receive dozens of stations......

Cheers,
P.E.H.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey,

So I'm in Halifax and I'm having issues. Before the transition I was getting my three channels very well (CBC, CTV and Global), however after the transition I I'm only getting Global. Both CBC and CTV aren't getting picked up by the digital converter. I'm using the AccessHD box and I'm less then 15km from the transmitting towers.

This seems odd to me as prior to this, both CBC and CTV came in very well and Global was a bit fuzzy. Now, it's the complete opposite. Are CTV and CBC taking their time ramping up the signal strength or am I pooched? This is quite frustrating!

Any advice would be helpful
Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fishdisease, I'm on PEI and have the same issue. CBC and CTV are unavailable on my digital tuner but Global has been up since the 15'th. They seem to be taking their sweet time getting the ATSC signal up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
TVLurker:

I'm suing an old-school VHF "christmas tree" type antenna. It's sitting in my attic, is about 12 feet long and 6 feet wide at the widest. Looks like this (but more "branches")

I was rocking bunny ears on my tvs for a while, then my parents gave me this one and when we hooked it up I went from 1 good channel (cbc) and 2 crappy channels (ctv and global) to 2 great channels (cbc and ctv) and one good channel (global).

I'm already researching antennas as I feel that's the next change I'll need to make.. :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Decagon:

All three are up and running, I can get ctv and global through my big antenna (although ctv isn't good at all - it keeps breaking up) and if I hook up my bunny ears to my upstairs tv then I can get cbc.

Which leads me to the conclusion in the above post.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Keep in mind that Global Halifax (CIHF-DT) is using Channel 8 still, while CBC (CBHT-DT) and CTV (CJCH-DT) have moved to UHF channels.
That large VHF antenna and rabbit ears might work for Channel 8, but are less effective for CBC (Ch. 39) or CTV (Ch. 48).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Charlottetown RX'd in Moncton

I can get CBC Charlottetown (13.1) here in Moncton, I am using an Antennacraft Y10713 on the end of a 24' pole. The signal strength is not the best and there are frequent dropouts. It probably would be better if the antenna were mounted on a tripod on the roof - I would have more elevation. This is my only shot at digital CBC here in Moncton for at least another year.

Still no sign of CKCW-TV (CTV).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Downbeat: That makes perfect sense. Unfortunately for me, that means a new antenna. Ya know, I haven't built anything in a while, looks like I found a weekend project. Thanks

But, do we know if those stations are broadcasting at full strength?

381 - 400 of 929 Posts