Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 925 Posts

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Okay that's very helpful, and thanks to Kloraff too.

If your intended stations are English only then they are all on VHF, and you cannot use an outdoor antenna so a set of rabbit ears is okay for your situation. Don't spend a lot of money on them - the cheapest basic unamplified ones from Zellers or WalMart are fine - don't read the claims on the boxes when you are shopping! ;)

You will need to put the aerials completely flat horizontally from the centre stand, not upwards or in a Vee. The lower the channel number, the more you need to extend them outwards. The higher the channel, the more you need to push them in. Practice makes perfect.

Further, you will need to rotate the rabbit ears to get the intended stations, depending on which direction the signals are coming from. The aerials have to be at a right angle to the direction of the signals.

If this doesn't work out for you, try an amplified set of rabbit ears.

I sure wish you could put up an outdoor antenna! If all you can get is VHF a Delhi 304 or 305, 306 would be terrific, but if you can also get UHF stations a Delhi 934 or even a 935 or 936 would be great.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks kloraff and stampeder.

Thanks for the station list and I will try placing the rabbit ears as stampeder mentioned and give it a try.

Marc

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Hey! What is up with all of the DT noted OTA channels for fredericton!!!

Does that mean we are close to getting OTA digital???

Man if that is what it means, I am excited as it could mean the end of Rogers for me. Either way, the minute I can get CBC, CTV and Global in OTA Digital and clearly, I will likely jump off Rogers and save a bundle.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Does that mean we are close to getting OTA digital???
Sorry to get your hopes up -- those are all transitional digital *allocations*. No one has actually applied for a license to use them yet. The final allocations may be different, and Fredricton is not likely to get digital TV before 2011.

TVl

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update

Hi,

I wanted to give an update on how I made out. With my Phillips antenna I can get CTV and Global and French CBC very clear with a minor adjustment required on the CBC station. However, I cannot get English CBC (channel 4). I can see the channel but there is no way I would watch it as there are some lines.

Marc

·
Registered
164 Posts
Near Scotsburn, NS

I live in the middle of noware with working power and phone on a paved highways minutes between river john, scotsburn and Nuttby and 30 minutes to Pictou, New Glasgow and Tatamagouche.

I get 4 Channels from a Directional Outdoor 4 bay UHF Antenna without a preamp somewhere between 15 to 25 feet?

I Get - CTV-08, CBC-13, SRC-31 and Global-42 from PEI

With a Onmi or Multidirectional Outdoor Antenna. I can get a watchable picture and clear sound of CTV-09, SRC-15, Global-21, Global 34 (There are from New Glasgow and Antigonish) and sometimes Global-27 somewhere from NB.

Do you know how to get low .020 watts Station from PEI, there are from eastlink and it scramabed and can get it at all. any guesses?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Halifax: what happened to my ota channels?

I used to get all kinds of ota channels in halifax n.s. But 2 days ago they mostly all stopped showing up on my tv. I still get BNN, and a few sport channels, but no nbc, ctv, oln, hgtv, tlc, etc. Was anyone else getting these channels and then they stopped? Or is it just me? Is there any way that these channels could get blocked?

·
Super Moderator
6,432 Posts
I'm curious how you got HGTV, TLC and other cable only (most of the time) channels in OTA. I'd say you were picking up leaking cable signals more than anything else.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So you're saying that the channels were leaking? How does this work? Leaking from some other person who had cable? I'm not sure I understand how they would show up as over the air if they were coming from a hardline like coaxial. Could you explain?

Thanks

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
harrisonam, first some questions for you:
  1. are you subscribed to cable tv?
  2. do you live in a detached house or in an apartment building/duplex/shared dwelling?
  3. if you are not a cable tv subscriber, is someone else in your home/building subscribed to cable tv?
  4. even if you are not a subscriber, is a cable tv line hooked up to your tv?
  5. do you have an antenna hooked up to your tv? If yes, is it an indoor or an outdoor antenna?
Please answer all these and then we can discuss the other stuff.

See this DHC FAQ for info about Signal Leakage: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=65268

·
Super Moderator
6,432 Posts
In my hometown, years ago, it was possible to watch many channels from the cable that surrounding apartments had. It was almost comical to see how many were watching these freebies. Of course the picture wasn't always 100% clear (especially when someone used a portable kitchen hand mixer ;)) but they were free nonetheless. :eek:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi:

We're building a new home in Dieppe (Greater Moncton area) and I am very tempted to install an antenna for local reception. I checked out the details for our local stations (http://www.user.dccnet.com/jonleblanc/Canada_TV_Stations/NB.html) and then threw the tower coordinates into google maps to see where they actually are situated relative to the house. The 3 towers are roughly 18 Km, 26 Km and 31 Km away. The two at 26 and 31 Km are in the same general direction, the other is about 90 degrees from the other two. I'm wondering if I could get away with simply setting up the antenna in the garage attic given the distances. It is a pretty standard build house: wood, tar shingles, blown insulation in the attic, but otherwise nothing up there. Are those distances too much?

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
40 Posts
So I take it that no one in the area has tried this? I read that attic installs is discouraged in the FAQ, but given the reception I currently get with our little indoor antenna, I'm still tempted to have a go.

As a side note, our little indoor antenna gets us English CBC (7), French CBC (11) and Global Maritimes (27 apparently). We don't get CTV (2). I'm not sure what to make of that. The antenna looks rather like a miniature generic VHF antenna (as per FAQ) with metallic strips in that configuration embedded within a pie shaped piece of glass. Now that I better understand the difference between VHF and UHF, is it odd that I can get channel 27 with this, but not 2?! Just curious.

Paul

·
Registered
241 Posts
Given the closeness of your stations I bet an attic install would be fine, but the beauty is that you could put it up outside if it doesn't work well enough. Indoor antennas are a real crap shoot for reception, so no comment on yours. ;)

21 - 40 of 925 Posts