Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 925 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the difference between using an antennae or dish? I'm confused, but ready to go with OTA in my home. In Halifax. Eastlink cable is awful.

I have a SONY HDTV Ready TV 50" WIDESCREEN, an also want to hook up to my new 24" LCD computer monitor (dell-awesome).

i'd like OTA, and High Def.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Whoo not sure about that one.

With a outdoor antenna can you get any local stations from Maine ? Halifax looks like a good 150 miles from Maine so I doubt that you are able to.

If not then the chances are very slim to none.

Satellite would be the only choice.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
CBC HD hasn't come up in Atlantic Canada yet, but you could ask Marc in the CBC HD thread if he has any info on the plans. With the CRTC hearings about the future of TV (esp. OTA) going on at this time we are all watching and waiting to see what happens. If a mandatory cutover date to Digital OTA is decreed, you will likely get the 3 major Canadian networks cutting over in the years to come. Let's hope... :eek:

·
Registered
793 Posts
WMED-DT (PBS) 10 - Calais, Maine
Broadcasting at 3.5kW from 50m

That'd be it. Low power, low transmitter height, but still worth a try from Saint John or any closer to Calais. I believe Saint John is about 60miles from the transmitter

·
Registered
15 Posts
The HD status Quo in the HRM.

Regrettably, I don’t expect OTA HDTV broadcast signals to be available in the HRM anytime soon. The local affiliates of the networks have no reason yet to spend any money upgrading their equipment to allow for HD similcasting of content that is available in the format and probably will sit on their existing equipment until they are forced to upgrade by the fact that the USA is set to shut of NTSC in 2009. (Assuming that this does not get pushed back…) :eek:

Proof of this is the fact that the CBC offers HD content and full 5.1 audio to the markets that do have OTA HDTV and here in Halifax, you cant even get stereo audio out of the local broadcast signal because there gear has been in use since television began broadcasting in color.

Maybe the CRTC will get off their collective tails and start mandating that local broadcasters “get with the program” so to speak at some point in the near future. One can only hope.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
The Canadian cutover to digital TV is August 31, 2011. In the CBC's plans for rolling out their new digital stations Halifax is in the first group. Hang in there! :)

·
Registered
880 Posts
HD OTA in Bas St-Laurent, Quebec

This may not be the right place to post it, but I figure the folks in New Brunswick would know.

I have a few people in the Bas St-Laurent area of Quebec who seem to be interested in HD OTA. The Bas St-Laurent area is north of Edmunston, NB.

The closest HD OTA station that I know about is SRC in Quebec City. Way to far. But, what about stations in Maine. In Presque Isle, Maine, I believe two stations are offering HD. Can those stations reach Edmunston,NB. And what about Bangor, Maine. can those signals reach into New Brunswick, or even Quebec?

I'm not from the area, so I have no idea.

My advice to them has been to hold off buying a ATSC TV until more stations are set up for the transition.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Edmundston is in kind of a valley I have been there many times. If you can get a relatively clean signal of channel 8 WAGM analog then you might have some luck, but its unlikely even if you are on top of one of the hills. There are repeaters in Fort Kent for the FM stations so its highly unlikely that HDTV from Presque Isle would come in. The only other place in New Brunswick you would have a chance would be anywhere between St Andrews, Grand Manan, and St Stephen where there is a PBS station. Bangor is almost impossible unless you are on Chamcook mountain or out on Grand Manan or on the higher terrain between St Stephen and Mcadam. I used to get UHF TV stations out of Boston as far as Saint John right on the Bay of Fundy but only during strong atmospheric conditions in the summer. Bas St Laurent is way out of the way to get anything from Maine except a few FM stations

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any update to HD OTA in Nova Scotia/Halifax?

Does anyone know if its possible to get HD OTA in Halifax yet? If so, which stations?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fredericton, NB

Hi fellow Maritimers!

I live in Fredericton, NB and I am contemplating getting rid of my Bell Expressvu satellite and using an indoor antenna. I've bought and tried 2 Philips Antenna's that I got at Wal Mart. I only receive 3 channels (Global, CTV and CBC) which is fine as the only shows I watch are on those channels. But for some reason the channel that doesn't come in to my liking is CBC. It is watchable but not clear enough to my liking. The CTV and Global channels are virtually perfect.

Any ideas on what indoor antenna I should get? Is there anyhing else I can buy to boost the reception?

I should add that I do not have an HDTV etc.. just a regular 27" Sanyo.

Thanks in advance,

Marc

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Hi Marc and welcome here! Can you please have a look at this link to see which New Brunswick stations are the ones that typically reach Fredericton OTA:

http://www.user.dccnet.com/jonleblanc/Canada_TV_Stations/index.html

If you can help me with that info I can try to offer some advice. Is an outdoor antenna an option for you? Also it seems that you are clear that only analogue signals are available to you at this point - just checking. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

I'm not sure what is available at this point and to be completely honest I am not well versed in the shop talk around antenna's etc... So I don't know if the follow info helps or not.....

I checked the link you sent me and the only channels I recognize are the following(in bold)

The Channels I can pull in with the antenna are CTV (Channel 9) and Global (Channel 11). CBC on Channel 4 comes in but not clear enough and according to the list below I don't see it. Perhaps I need to look at different channels to land CBC?

NB Fredericton 19 CBAFT-10 CBCF 455651 663540 102.8 4200 500.00 Z
NB Fredericton 5 CBAFT-1 CBCF 453457 654738 195.2 33750 76.00 -
NB Fredericton 46 CBAFT-DT-10 455651 663540 0.0 0 662.00
NB Fredericton 31 CBAFT-DT-1 453457 654738 0.0 0 572.00
NB Fredericton 44 CIHF-DT-1 460226 662924 0.0 0 650.00
NB Fredericton 11 CIHF-TV-1 INDE 460226 662924 174.4 9000 198.00 +
NB Fredericton 32 NB-DT-115 455800 663858 0.0 0 578.00
NB Fredericton 53 NB-DT-116 455800 663858 0.0 0 704.00
NB Fredericton 48 NB-DT-117 455800 663858 0.0 0 674.00
NB Fredericton 50 NB-DT-118 460300 664458 0.0 0 686.00
NB Fredericton 59 NB-TV-415 455800 663858 0.0 0 740.00 +
NB Fredericton 55 NB-TV-416 455800 663858 0.0 0 716.00 +

The Channel 9 CTV and Channel 4 CBC station are not listed under the Fredericton list but I think they are listed under Saint John (1 hr away) as the channels and stations match up.

NB Saint John 4 CBAT-TV CBCE 452839 661359 384.9 55000 66.00
NB Saint John 9 CKLT-TV CTV 452839 661359 414.8 162000 186.00

As far as an outdoor antenna that is not an option at this time. I would be happy just getting a clear reception on the all 3 channels rather then just 2 of the 3 (CBC still not clear enough but could be watchable if I wanted to tolerate it). If any others came in would be a bonus as on some channels I can see something or hear a show but it is much much too snowy.

Marc

·
705 Posts
Depending on where you are in Fredericton you should get:

04 - CBC
09 - CTV Atlantic (ATV)
10 - Maine PBS (can usually get it out in the direction of Mactaquac with an outdoor antenna for sure)
11 - Global
19 - SRC (French CBC)

1 - 20 of 925 Posts