Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

101 - 120 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
i just remembered; Scarface was on at the same time slot a couple weekends back, and it wasn't HD. anyways, fingers crossed... need something to tie me over til the HDDVD comes out...
With regards to Blade Runner in this time slot last Sunday ... was it in HD? I forgot to set my PVR ... :(

·
Registered
366 Posts
it was on par with their other HD showings; a bit soft, video noise... a bit better than HDNet movies. also, it was cropped to 1.78:1

·
Registered
69 Posts
Damn, I have Bell ExpressVu, but Showcase is my favourite channel. I'm going to check the Shaw site and see if they are offering any deals for switching over.

·
Banned
202 Posts
darcraver Bev is switching to MPEG4 receivers starting in Q2 so wait the number of stations is going to increase greatly!!! Also I ran into the Bell rep for Winnipeg today, he confirmed to me that indeed a swap is happening and they are also looking at other suppliers other than Echo*. Seems like the increase in channels will be additional packages, but he was not specific. Looks like the year for great changes in HD.

·
Banned
202 Posts
From what I have read and the rep sort of said that the AIO customers will go first. remeber that they have 150,000 ++ to replace. I think it will take the better part of 2007. I do not think we will see MPEG4 turnned on till mid to late fall. Just my guess.

·
Registered
305 Posts
What's AIO customers?

Would be nice to get the channels, but I am not looking forward to setting up all my timers on a new PVR :p I also have a ton of movies taped that I still haven't watched.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Knowing my luck, I'd switch to Shaw and then Bell would get a load of new HD channels. I'm pretty happy with my satellite service, so perhaps I'll wait a little while. I can still watch ShowCase in SD for the time being I suppose <sulk>

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ya I agree with you there darcraver where I live I have no other option but Bell expressvu the cable service here is like 10 yrs behind....

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
they have 150,000 ++ to replace. I think it will take the better part of 2007. I do not think we will see MPEG4 turnned on till mid to late fall.
That is a logistical (and expensive) nightmare. I doubt if Bell will switch its HD channels to Mpeg-4 in one go -- more like piece by piece, a few channels at a time. I'd guess your timeline -- Mpeg-4 turned on in mid-autumn -- probably about right. But that also means it won't be till then before any significant new channels get lit up. Plus, virtually everything available in Canada is already on air so there isn't anything else in HD really handy to add.

·
Registered
366 Posts
on the IPG, both NG and SHO list all shows with a "free preview" tag to it (it didn't used to be there). does this mean the preview is ending soon?

101 - 120 of 151 Posts