Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I have a jailbroken IPhone 3GS and we are planning a long drive this summer, so I would like to have the ability to connect my laptop occasionally while on the road (the kids especially).

I have been looking into the MyWi app from Rock and I was wondering if anyone has installed it or had any problems. I have not upgraded to OS4 yet, so I'm still on 3.1.3 and I've read there may be some issues with it. Also, some internet posts mention problems with Rock software in general - causing the IPhone to lose all wifi capability, even after MyWi was removed, for example.

So before I take the leap, has anyone had any issues with this app?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
May I suggest a search of the forums for the term, MyWi? ;)

Plenty of previous threads have had discussion on it - mostly positive.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why didn't I think of that :rolleyes:

I did do a search, like I always do before asking a question. However, of the 10 or so responses that had MyWi in the post, none were specific to the app itself. "Can I tether" "Can IOS4 be jailbroken yet" ect that just happen to have MyWi in the response don't necessarily have the answer to my question.

However, thanks for all the help! It was really appreciated!

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Did a search and found this thread:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=124871

Which states:
So far the only solution vie found is the MyWi app on the jailbroken cydia store. Gets excellent reviews but I would prefer not to have to hack my iPhones OS.
and
Jailbroke my iPhone, now running Cydia & MyWi and it works like a charm. Well worth the $9.99 price.
and this related to battery use:
Actually, I find that using MyWi uses relatively the same amount of battery to tether as using my iphone to surf would. It obviously uses more power as it is using wifi, but the fact that the screen is off balances things out. I use it to teather my MBP every day on my 40 min train ride, and my fully charged battery is at about 80% at the end of the ride. That is roughly the same reading I was getting when I was using my phone to surf during the same trip.
Those seemed to answer your question quite well, I thought. Or were you looking for more? Different? What?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't want to get argumentative with you, but I am looking for information regarding people using the MyWi app that are on the 3.1.1 firmware, as there are some reports on the net (used google to find them) about problems with this combination. I asked that in my question.

Also there are comments made by some forum members (again using google) that they will never use Rock software again because of the "other" stuff it installs on the phone, which causes them to restore the phone to regain wifi capability, 3G connectivity, etc.

Without being facetious, it irks me when a question is asked and the response is "use the search feature". If people don't want to help by answering the question, why bother taking the time to post?

To be clear, I did search the forums, did not get enough information to satisfy my question, so I posted it in the appropriate forum.

Anyway, I'll go back to google!

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts