Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 100 of 398 Posts

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
I am thinking of installing MythTV to have a look. I have recently installed Linux Mint 8 on a PC - is there any reason why I could not install MythTV on this system? (Mint is based on Ubuntu - in this case Mint 8 is, I believe, based on Ubuntu 9.10)

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Roger: is your MytvTV box based on Mythbuntu-9.10?

I ask, because I've now got a development system here with that release, so I suppose I could use that update the fix_hauppauge scripts to work better with 9.10.

But only if it's useful to someone. I don't need the scripts here.

-ml

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I am thinking of installing MythTV to have a look. I have recently installed Linux Mint 8 on a PC ...
You could try it. Just keep in mind the following points:
  • MythTV really, really wants a dedicated PC.
  • MythTV makes Linux look bad. Linux is great, but MythTV is horrid to install, configure, and tweak.
  • An hour or less will get most people up and running. It then takes another year or so of tweaking to achieve a reasonable WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor).
Cheers

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
  • An hour or less will get most people up and running. It then takes another year or so of tweaking to achieve a reasonable WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor).
This would not be my main PVR - it would be tertiary as my main system is SageTV on WHS (with 4 extenders) and I have an HTPC running Win7 MC - which I don't really use unless my Sage system is down for maintenance. And then I have an SA8300HD which I rarely uses for PVR purposes.

I have a spare PVR-150 tuner and a spare OTA tuner that I have lying around so I thought it might make sense to put these into my Linux PC and install Myth.

I have been an occaisonal user of Linux/Unix/Solaris for over a decade but have never really got into it too much, at least not at home. I am giving it a try with this PC at home and I am also dual booting a Netbook with XP and Mint.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Roger: is your MytvTV box based on Mythbuntu-9.10?
Yes it is.

I ask, because I've now got a development system here with that release, so I suppose I could use that update the fix_hauppauge scripts to work better with 9.10.

But only if it's useful to someone. I don't need the scripts here.
If you have the time, that would be great! It is getting very frustrating not having a remote. I keep finding myself looking at my JP1 remote and imagining what buttons would be assigned to what features. ;) Otherwise we can wait until I get a chance to drop by with my Myth box.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Fresh 0.22 install better than sequentially updated 0.19 -> 0.22

My mythconverg database that I've been using since MythTV 0.19 (which the subsequent 0.20 and 0.21 updates have always upgraded to the latest schema) became corrupted yesterday on the mythbackend machine.

When I restored from a clean nightly mythconverg backup it barfed during the first run of mythfilldatabase, complaining of all sorts of table errors. It was beyond repair using methods recommended by MythTV, and I also used MySQL and phpmyadmin repair tools to no avail. I even went so far as to drop the mythconverg database, create a new one using mc.sql, and then restore from a clean backup, but no luck.

Oh well, stuff happens, but I've swapped so many tuners in and out of that box over the past few years that the latest changes might have pushed the db over the edge. I don't feel like doing a regression analysis to find the exact culprit, but I could probably have restored the existing system if I really tried. Thankfully there wasn't anything priceless on the mythbackend machine. BTW I've always moved or burned the priceless recorded stuff asap, just in case.

So, the good thing is that this gave me the opportunity while the machine was down to convert the OS from Mandriva 2008.1 32-bit to Mandriva 2010 64-bit with it's much more recent Linux kernel, test all the HDs for errors, and do a fresh MythTV 0.22 install from a clean, new database. I also decided to run the storage partitions on EXT4 instead of my old favourite XFS just to evaluate the disk I/O performance.

Performance is much improved in almost every measurable way, so all in all this was an afternoon well spent. :)

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
It is getting very frustrating not having a remote.
Okay, I'm looking at the code right now.

The good news, is that the patches I sent in last year seem to have been adapted into the 2.6.32 kernel, which will be used by the upcoming Mythbuntu-10.04 release.

The bad news, is that it looks difficult to shoehorn those same changes into the 2.6.31 kernel used by Mythbuntu-9.10. I may need you and your box over here to get that debugged and working (my own HVR-1600 card is the version that lacks a remote control port).

EDIT:
Scratch that. It's just not worth doing. The best thing would be to simply upgrade the kernel on your MythTV box to 2.6.32, and then apply a simpler version of my fix_hauppauge script to enable use of the remote. You'll have to visit here for that, I suspect. Unless I can figure out how to build a generic Ubuntu kernel package (unlikely).
/EDIT

Cheers

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
EDIT:
Scratch that. It's just not worth doing. The best thing would be to simply upgrade the kernel on your MythTV box to 2.6.32, and then apply a simpler version of my fix_hauppauge script to enable use of the remote. You'll have to visit here for that, I suspect. Unless I can figure out how to build a generic Ubuntu kernel package (unlikely).
/EDIT
Thanks for all the effort you have put into this! I don't want to do anything drastic until after the Olympics are over, so I guess I will have to wait. Will talk to you directly to arrange a time to drop by (I would certainly appreciate help upgrading the kernel). Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
The left/right arrow keys work in mythfrontend to enter/exit menu levels, and then suddenly stop working like that when one enters MythUI
One down.
Code:
--- mythtv/programs/mythfrontend/playbackbox.cpp.orig   2009-11-14 04:31:45.000000000 -0500
+++ mythtv/programs/mythfrontend/playbackbox.cpp        2010-02-24 19:40:19.808047855 -0500
@@ -3484,6 +3484,8 @@

bool PlaybackBox::keyPressEvent(QKeyEvent *event)
 {
+    extern int fix_arrow_keys;  /* Shared with MythScreenType::keyPressEvent */
+
     // This should be an impossible keypress we've simulated
     if ((event->key() == Qt::Key_LaunchMedia) &&
         (event->modifiers() ==
@@ -3518,6 +3520,10 @@
             showIconHelp();
         else if (action == "MENU")
             showMenu();
+        else if (action == "LEFT" || action == "RIGHT") {
+            fix_arrow_keys = 1;
+            handled = false;
+        }
         else if (action == "NEXTFAV")
         {
             if (GetFocusWidget() == m_groupList)
@@ -3595,6 +3601,15 @@
     if (!handled && MythScreenType::keyPressEvent(event))
         handled = true;

+    if (fix_arrow_keys) {
+        fix_arrow_keys = 0;
+        if (handled == false) {
+            /* "LEFT" is handled by MythScreenType::keyPressEvent, so therefore this must be "RIGHT": */
+            showActionsSelected();
+            handled = true;
+        }
+    }
+
     return handled;
 }

--- mythtv/libs/libmythui/mythscreentype.cpp.orig       2009-11-14 04:31:28.000000000 -0500
+++ mythtv/libs/libmythui/mythscreentype.cpp    2010-02-24 19:33:36.068047913 -0500
@@ -87,8 +87,12 @@
     return true;
 }

+int fix_arrow_keys;    /* public,  shared with PlaybackBox::keyPressEvent            */
+static bool wrapped;   /* private, shared with MythScreenType::keyPressEvent (below) */
+
 bool MythScreenType::NextPrevWidgetFocus(bool up)
 {
+    wrapped = false;
     if (!m_CurrentFocusWidget || m_FocusWidgetList.isEmpty())
         return SetFocusWidget(NULL);

@@ -119,6 +123,8 @@
             {
                 if (looped)
                     return false;
+                if (fix_arrow_keys)
+                    wrapped = true;
                 else
                 {
                     looped = true;
@@ -147,6 +153,8 @@
             {
                 if (looped)
                     return false;
+                if (fix_arrow_keys)
+                    wrapped = true;
                 else
                 {
                     looped = true;
@@ -317,6 +325,15 @@
         QString action = actions[i];
         handled = true;

+        if (action == "LEFT") {
+            NextPrevWidgetFocus(false);
+            if (fix_arrow_keys && wrapped)
+                Close();
+        } else if (action == "RIGHT") {
+            NextPrevWidgetFocus(true);
+            if (fix_arrow_keys && wrapped)
+                handled = false;  /* let caller take care of it */
+        } else
         if (action == "LEFT" || action == "UP" || action == "PREVIOUS")
             NextPrevWidgetFocus(false);
         else if (action == "RIGHT" || action == "DOWN" || action == "NEXT")
Three to go.

-ml

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
roger1818 said:
I haven't had a chance to drag a network drop into my living room so I can't use guide data and have to do manual records instead. I hope to get that fixed soon though.
If you have wifi available in the house, then I can loan you a wifi-to-ethernet bridge device, that'll connect things up until you run cat5 someday. It simply plugs into the ethernet port of your MythTV box, and connects to your wifi.

It has a built-in web interface for configuring the wifi parameters / password etc. The MythTV box sees it as a pure ethernet cable connection.

Cheers

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
  • The theme menus show only 3-4 items on the screen, as if I'm using a 1960's 12" B&W TV or something. I'm not! A modern big-screen LCD can show a lot more detail than that, and it does do so with mythtv-0.21 and the G.A.N.T. theme. I simply cannot tolerate having to scroll when the total menu has only 5-6 items on it.
The theme I use shows 6 items on the screen, which is good enough in most cases. It is the only 4:3 theme (I think it is called classic or something like that). There is also a 16:9 version of the same theme, but I don't know if it behaves the same way or not. I didn't like it at first as it is quite bright and a bit cheesy looking, but it has grown on me a bit. I do plan on rearranging it a bit later on to make it a bit more user friendly (why is Watch TV so far down on the main menu?).

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
If you have wifi available in the house, then I can loan you a wifi-to-ethernet bridge device, that'll connect things up until you run cat5 someday.
Thanks! If I don't have it dragged in by the time I see you, I may take you up on your kind offer. My only hesitation is band-aid solutions like this often delay the permanent solution. ;) However, it would let me wait until my parents come to visit next month (an extra pair of hands is always useful for a job like this).

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
EDIT:
/EDIT
mlord, thanks for looking into that for us.

So the way I see it I now have 3 options:

1) Wait a couple months for Mythbuntu 10.04 and keep using the VCR for now
2) Attempt to upgrade the kernel to 2.6.32. Any ideas if this will break MythTV and/or what would be involved in getting it back working again?
3) Install 10.04 alpha. Not sure how stable that would be.

Anyone have any opinions? I don't like option 1, so I need to pick the path of least resistance. I'm pretty new to Linux & Mythtv, and I'm not sure of the difficulty levels for options 2 or 3.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
So the way I see it I now have 3 options:
I can think of two other options:
  • Use a keyboard (either wired or wireless) until you can get the HVR-1600 remote to work (this is what I am doing currently).
  • Use an alternate remote interface.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
2) Attempt to upgrade the kernel to 2.6.32. Any ideas if this will break MythTV and/or what would be involved in getting it back working again?
It all "just works" in my own MythTV box.

I don't know how to build .deb packages properly, but if you like I could send you a pre-built kernel image/modules and the like for use with a Mythbuntu-9.10 system.

Are you (and Roger?) using 64-bit Mythbuntu, or 32-bit Mythbuntu? I use 64-bit here.

-Mark

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Are you (and Roger?) using 64-bit Mythbuntu, or 32-bit Mythbuntu? I use 64-bit here.
I am using 32-bit since I am using an old 2.8GHz P4. I know at some point I will need to upgrade my box, but I won't get the budget for that for a while, so I have to make do with what I have.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Okay, I'll fire up the QuadCore box and build two sets of kernels: one 32-bit and one 64-bit.

Edit: Got the 64-bit one up and running. But you [Roger] will have to bring the box over sometime (next week?) to get the 32-bit kernel installed and the remote working.. I don't want to mess up your box with attempting a "remote control install" of it. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mark, I'll jump in on the 64-bit kernel if you have time please and thanks. I have had some problems getting mythbuntu 9.10 working on my QuadCore. Greg

81 - 100 of 398 Posts