Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This thread concerns the setup and maintenance of the user experience in MythTV and is for discussing such application issues as the program guide, menus, themes, customization, plugins, keyboard mappings, etc.

This thread is not about hardware, general installation, general mythbackend setup, firmware, or drivers since those are already covered in the main Mythtv thread as well as in the Easy MythTV Install & Setup Using Mandriva and PLF thread.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Duration of on screen messages

I'll have to look through the mythfrontend options because I have something a bit like that happening, but only on Live TV on changing channels and I never see it outside of MythTV. Since I use the OpenGL settings it fades from the screen, but I'd like it to do so much more quickly! BTW it doesn't occur on recordings, although the progress bar shows up and fades. I'd like to find out how to toggle the use of these and/or adjust their timing but I haven't looked into it seriously so far.
ClgShaft said:
Sorry not the mythtv guide. When you change a channel the blue info bars at the top and bottom. They show up all the time, even outside mythtv. It is in the background and comes and goes, shows up on recordings, very weird.
stampeder said:
I don't understand what the issue is. Can you post a screenshot or give further info? Try either reducing or shutting off the HD Ring Buffer, but I'm guessing in the dark.
ClgShaft said:
I have a video issue. when I am watching the 2250 for digital tv, , you tube, or hulu, I am getting images of the mythtv guide, it comes and goes.

I have tried with and without the backend started, and it will not go away.

does not happen when watching the analog tuner.

thanks

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ClgShaft, in the main menu Utilities/Setup section go to Setup and then Appearance and on the first page (called Theme/Screen Settings) which Paint Engine is yours using? Mine is set to OpenGL, which your new Nvidia video card will handle easily. Maybe that might clear up your on screen graphics issue.

·
Registered
702 Posts
mine was set to QT, I have changed to OpenGL.

what themes are people using? I have mine set to mythcenter wide. is there some really cool themes out there?

My next task is getting a ps3 remote to control mythtv. Looks like it is a few scripts and setting lirc on the frontend.

thanks to all who helped me get mythtv to work.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On Mandriva there are two PLF packages of MythTV themes that you can install via MCC or on the command line with urpmi:
  • mythtv-themes-base
  • mythtv-themes-myththemes
Mythbuntu users can download their distro's own version called the mythtv-themes package.

Mythdora themes for 0.24 are a bit tricky: http://mythdora.com/?q=node/5607

And of course you can build MythTV themes and plugins yourself from source: http://www.mythtv.org/download

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have schedulers direct free trial and have the backed set with my password and user name. I added my regional cable listings and ota.

on the frontend the guide is out by two hours. shows that are on right now the guide says they start in 2 hours. I would like to correct so I can start recording some shows.

mythtv and mandriva's time is set correct.

mythfilldatabase is filling the guide with info, except for the ota hd channels.

thanks

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In the Mythcenter Wide theme it shows the time on the Main menu to the upper right - is that showing the correct time?

As far as individual stations, time offsets can be set for each on the mythbackend in the Input Sources section where you input the codes for the channels from Schedules Direct.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would go into the mythbackend Input properties and set the time offsets of each TV channel properly then.

On the Schedules Direct site make sure you specify the OTA DTV channels but if SD has not added them yet just use the station's analogue code number for now, then send SD a message with the info that they need to update.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
sounds like the thread for this question:

I'm using zap2xml and a no internal grabber setting for my epg, importing my own xmltv.xml file to update my epg. Works fine, but where is the setting to remove the old epg info, say for the days already past? I'm looking to to get 14 days of guide populated, but seems like
it keeps the old guide info in the mythconverg mysql database, so I can't seem to get past Jan 1st. (Dec 18 thru Jan 1st is populated).
once i get this working the way i want, only thing left to do is cron it up..
here is my script:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
# remove old cache files
rm /path/to/zap2xml/cache/*.gz
# path where zap2xml.pl is
cd /path/to/zap2xml
# grab 14 days worth from zap2it account
/usr/bin/perl zap2xml.pl -u username -p password -d 14
# import new xmltv.xml file to mythconverg database
/usr/bin/mythfilldatabase --update --file 1 xmltv.xml
edit: I think I found how to get past jan 1st, had a typo here..
/usr/bin/mythfilldatabase --update --file -l xmltv.xml
to:
/usr/bin/mythfilldatabase --update --file 1 xmltv.xml

This gets me past January 1st now, but still doesn't delete the old epg info.
Must be a reason we're keeping it around? For recordings maybe?

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MythTV has to keep the old EPG info for its own use, such as knowing how to avoid recording reruns. :) When you go through the mythfrontend options for recordings and scheduling it has to know what has already been seen so that it can apply it's rules. Hence a certain amount of that data needs to be kept. In the main Myth menu if you select Manage Recordings and then select Previously Recorded you can see what it knows about the past and understand why it keeps it. Incidentally you can delete entries in there one-by-one but I don't know about in bulk.

If you install PHPMyadmin you can do bulk deletes in the MySQL mythconverg database.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
thanks for the explanation Stampeder. I figured there must be a reason.
I'll just leave it alone then.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Stampeder, thanks for the guide tips. I went and looked at the computer time again, and it looks like with mandriva you have to set the time zone in two places. I have corrected, tried -2 hrs, and +2 hrs instead of auto and no go.

Should I be deleting the guide data and starting over?

I have all the logos now on the frontend, really starting to look nice. I am actually enjoying watching some TV and movies.

Has anyone added hulu desktop to the frontend in mandriva? I had it working with ubuntu, but cannot download with mandriva. Flash issues are still causing mythweb, and hulu, you tube to crash on the frontend.

thanks

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You'd be best to use MCC to set the system to use NTP, and it will then offer you a bunch of worldwide selections - select Canada of course, and then set the correct time zone. NTP will do the rest.

·
Registered
702 Posts
changed the time in mcc. that did not work. deleted all tuner cards are sources, setup again, and now the time is right.

Probably needs to have the correct time before scanning and adding channels, etc.

thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts