Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since 2005, I have been recording TV from a Shaw Direct satellite box to my Windows XP 2005 Media Center PC. With this setup I have been able to archive shows by importing them into a DVD authoring program that came with the computer. I have also been able to stream recorded TV to my home theatre either by wireless or Ethernet via a media streamer made to match the Sony computer.

Within the last few months, I have experience more and more shows that will not stream more than 30 seconds before freezing and returning to the menu. I now notice that more and more, I cannot import these same shows to the DVD authoring program. All I can do is watch these shows on the computer.

Shaw Direct put out a firmware for the 505/530 receivers as a measure to cover copyright issues. But I have even tried an older legacy receiver to see if it is indeed a flagging issue, as I do believe the older receivers did not get the copyright firmware.

Since recordings from either SD receiver would not stream or archive, the copyright flagging must now be part of Windows XP Media Center via a past update. It seems to be channel specific and program specific

This is making my use of Windows Media Center for PVRing less desirable. I can still record and archive to my laptop via an OnAir GT USB tuner from Shaw Direct as I have never updated the firmware for that tuner. But, I doubt the files would be streamable to my home theatre. Perhaps it’s time for a new PVR as Media Center becomes increasingly impossible to use.

·
Registered
248 Posts
All I can say about your PVR problem is "GO Jeff Gordon GO" LOL, road course on Sunday

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, well, what can I say. I hate watching the "taped" races on the computer. TSN at Michigan wouldn't stream for me last Sunday. XP and Jeff...with both, days are numbered.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts