Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Just catching up with your post. Can you recommend a method to check the calibration of a camera body and lense ? Thanks.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Focus tests

I also use a focus chart but use a inclinometer to verify that Im at 45' angle.

After that I usually confirm by using the focus chart you see here and stand it up and then have each of the other box to the sides separated at say 1 1/4".

I put the camera on a tripod and focus on the center box at the different focal length of the lens, shoot with the lens wide open. The center box should always be in focus and the other two box almost equally out of focus.

For the focus test boxes, I use a distance that I would normally shoot for portraits. I also go outside after and take some distance photo to make sure its focusing properly like a car across the street license plate.

If your body has a ma feature hopefully this will solve the problem. If at one end of a zoom is out I would send it in for service.

·
Registered
232 Posts
What is the protocol for posting pictures of people on the net ? Especially when you travel and do not have time or language skill to ask for permission to take the photos let alone posting.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
All the ones that you see the people are looking at me with a smile, I have asked them before if I could take their photo.

Once you are in a public place its not illegal to take a photos of someone and post it in a proper manner.

Taking a photo in a private atmosphere is a different story.

Out of all the people photos that I have taken of people only 3 have said no.

·
Registered
520 Posts
What is the protocol for posting pictures of people on the net ? Especially when you travel and do not have time or language skill to ask for permission to take the photos let alone posting.
I was at an Art Wolfe Seminar this spring in Toronto and this very question came up. Art's approach is he looks at the person and smiles then holds the camera up and nods at them. If they nod back then he takes their picture. He then immediately turns the camera around and shows it to them. This usually results in him being able to take more pictures that are less staged.

Abient Light has a good summary of the Canadian laws surrounding photography. Here's a summary from what I recall:

Ethics aside the only time you need a model release for a subject you've photographed is if the person is clearly identifiable in the image and you plan on selling the pictures (i.e. commercial use). If you are in a public place and are shooting for non commercial purposes then people have no expectation of privacy. If you are in a commercial space (i.e. a shopping mall, concert etc.) you can take pictures unless there is signage prominently displayed prohibiting photography. If there is no signage and a owner or their agent requests you stop photographing you must comply but you are under no obligation to erase any pictures you took before being asked to stop.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Alongside the purely legal matters of posting photos of strangers, there is a technical issue to be careful about.

If you have a digital camera equipped with GPS your photos may be revealing the person's location in the EXIF (Exchange Image File format) data. There are techniques and tools to edit and/or scrub EXIF data so please keep that in mind before publishing photos from such a device to the Internet.

While a public setting like a mall or outdoor location might be generic-enough to leave alone, the location of a home, office, shop, etc. can be a very serious privacy and security issue for the affected person(s) in the photo.

Yaamon's photos don't have GPS locations but they have lots of other interesting info. :)

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Yes, stampeder I don't own one of those fancy camera that has a gps built in or adaptor.

I did give away to my sister a nikon P6000 point and shoot that has a gps locator.

I would never take a picture of someone and give details where or even close to a street if they live or work near by.

Gordon I just realize that I do what Art does. If I see someone that I wan to take their photo, I would hold up my camera towards them and smile to indicate I would love to take their photo.

I always I show them on the camera the results, which they like. If I see someone I really want to take a few pictures I will definitely ask before, show them the result and take a few more photos after.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Real Candid Photo of a Stranger from South America

After the parade a few weeks ago on Sunday, I walked into a restaurant to eat early dinner.

Beside me I noticed a beautiful and attractive young girl talking to the waiter with a south american accent.

After he left I said you have a nice south american accent, are you visiting from south america. She responded Panama and I asked are you visiting with family or friends. She responded that she is here studying and only has friends.

After a few mins, I realize I had to take her photo she was beautiful. I sat at her table and asked her would you mind you if I took a few photos, she said yes I could.

Good thing my back was to the street window, I just cranked up the iso to 800 for these natural light photo's.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks for the info and the links.

·
Registered
196 Posts
You're almost never doing anything google earth and/or google street view hasn't done, even with gps.

Photographing people in public places is perfectly legal and you don't need permission to do so. If you intend to commercialize a photo of someone though, in any way, you need a model release. (ie: signed permission)

That's for legal purposes - myself I will always check with a parent before doing any shots with kids in them. And if someone asks not to be photographed, I will almost always oblige.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Candid Street photo Toronto Harbourfront July 31 2010

As I was walking around Harbourfront this girl smile quickly caught my eye. :) I said to my self I have to take her photo, so as I usually do I asked her.

I should be walking more often downtown on the weekends so many beautiful women.

Thanks OldScotch, I always do ask and luckily out of all the people I have ever asked only 3 have said no. :( I wanted those photo for street photography.

Luckily all the attractive women I have asked have said yes. As always after I take the photo I show them on the camera, and they are surprised on how well they look.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
But do you tell them you're going to post their pictures on the Internet? Not saying you're doing anything illegal, just wondering how many of those girls would say it's OK after you tell them you may post their pictures on the net.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
I don't see a problem since there are no names to identify them. Only people that know her will recognize her. She is pretty. :)

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
sleemo

Yes they all know that, I tell them that I have a web site and they can find their photo's there.

Most of the people especially the one and one candid smiles, I actually give them a card with the web site address and if they like the photo all they have to do is send me a email with the number and I will email them a high resolution copy.

Luckily not one person has ever asked me to remove their photo. Maybe it's because they all look good in the photo's that I took and they are used to photos from point and shoot camera's.

Danster, I have to agree she is quite beautiful and there is no photoshop that was used on her skin either.

I might go back hopefully before I go away again to BVI on business and introduce myself properly and ask her if she interested in doing a proper candid photo shoot. ;)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yaamon,

I have to agree that this particular lady is stunning. You obviously have a gift for engaging these young ladies and a talent for showing them in a very flattering way. You also have a very understanding Mrs. Yammon!

I personally, have not the cojones, to walk up to a beautiful complete stranger and ask to photograph them. I admire your Chutzpah.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Thank you Gordonb

Thank you for the compliment. I do enjoy street photography. I'm thinking of starting as a next project shooting more as glamor set with each person but still in a candid relax way.

I have to agree, yes the wife now is pretty understanding of me taking photos of such beautiful women. She knows that I have taken up photography as a new hobby. She does take pretty good photos too and I bought her way way back then a minolta 7si 35mm camera and tons of lens and the big minolta flash too. My brother last year bought 2 sony dslr and I gave him 4 of my minolta lens they all work on his camera's. I just have to remind the wife when she is using the dslr camera on where to focus with the red center focus point and recompose.

She did rag on me in Ottawa and say how come I don't take photos of the guys too. :D So I did. lol.

Not sure why but she does not like to smile in photo's and she has a nice smile. I took this the same evening at Harbourfront.

Weird I can get the beautiful women to smile for my photos but not the wife.

This is my daughter with the 5D II and the 70-200 2.8, shame on me thinking it was too heavy for me. lol. My daughter and her girlfriend asked if she could use the camera to take a few photos and I said yes. After I asked her was it heavy she said yes. lol.

·
Registered
520 Posts
...Not sure why but she does not like to smile in photo's and she has a nice smile. ...
Most ladies are probably generally flattered having a strange man come up on the street and politely ask to photograph them. It's no longer flattering for our wives - I know that look - it says "I love you but please put the camera down"

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Gordon

:D how did you know that. My wife would also say go take pictures of our daughter.

I guess the wife's would rather we point the camera else where, that's ok.

Before I go away next week to BVI, this weekend there is another beach volley ball tournament, going back to try again with the 24-105 F4 lens. Will pack the 70-200 F2.8 if I need it.

Want to get some good action shots from the net and of course the beautiful ladies. :)

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
7D & 24-105 F4 IS lens

Went down to Ashbridges Bay for some volley ball photos.

I'm surprised the image quality of the 7D. The colors are vibrant and sharp, pretty close to the 5D II.

61 - 80 of 89 Posts