1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Blu-ray(1080p)
2. THe best OTA Local Stations (1080i)
3. Telus Cable (720p)
4. Bell Satellite (720p preferred, some 1080i)
5. Shaw Direct (720p)
6. Shaw Cable (720p)
7. Netflix.ca (720p)

I use Blu-rays, Shaw and Telus Cable only so I am not familiar with the other sources. My rankings are just a guess, to make an example. For those that have experience with them please rank where you think they belong.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Can't argue with this list.

I only have experience with Blu-rays, OTA, Bell TV (Satellite), and Shaw Cable. Based on my experience, I would rank mine the same way as avhed has.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I wonder base on what/when did you rank Shaw against others. As I've said many times in the past, Shaw Vancouver has up'ed their significantly lower CBC HD bitrate, marginally lower Global HD bitrate and other local and US HD bitrates about a year ago to the point PQ is almost if not already identical to OTA. I've just done some more detailed analysis with solid numbers to confirm that. Please see my post linked below from the Shaw section for details.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=1200200&postcount=1128

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I have Bell Satellite and Shaw Cable, and I would put Shaw Cable well above Bell in picture quality. Bell has a noticeably softer picture than Shaw Cable on most HD channels. I can see this difference with my front projector on a 10 foot screen.

·
Registered
182 Posts
One only has to look at the data rate to know that Bell Satellite has the softest picture. Side by side with any another provider confirms this.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Bell Satellite has all their HD channels set at 720p and most HD channels broadcast at 1080i. Bell Sat. has the worst HD PQ of all providers, Shaw Cable/Direct , Rogers, Eastlink pass through each channels native resolution so we get what ever the channel is broadcasting at which most broadcast at 1080i with a few channels at 720p . Other than the occasional macroblocking the PQ looks great on Eastlink.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you forgot Rogers Digital Cable HD - 1080i
No I did not. If you did the list, and left out Shaw, I would not say you forgot it because your area is service by Rogers..

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wonder base on what/when did you rank Shaw against others. As I've said many times in the past, Shaw Vancouver has up'ed their significantly lower CBC HD bitrate, marginally lower Global HD bitrate and other local and US HD bitrates about a year ago to the point PQ is almost if not already identical to OTA. I've just done some more detailed analysis with solid numbers to confirm that. Please see my post linked below from the Shaw section for details.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=1200200&postcount=1128
I rank Shaw by my Mar 2010 service.
Telus service was not available in my neighbourhood until Autumn 2010, so my ranking is from that time.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
4. Bell Satellite (720p preferred, some 1080i)
Bell TV only broadcast live in 720p, although there are 1080p Movies available via the On Demand Service.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I may be wrong or misinformed but Shaw Direct broadcasts most HD channels in 1080i.

A couple newer channels are 720p. So I guess a more accurate depiction for post 1 would likely be (mostly 1080i, some 720p) as I understand it.

Happy New Year

·
Registered
725 Posts
I rank Shaw by my Mar 2010 service.
Telus service was not available in my neighbourhood until Autumn 2010, so my ranking is from that time.
Perhaps Shaw Cable's service is different in Victoria or your impression of Shaw's bad bitrate before January 2010 was still deeper. By March 2010, Shaw Cable in Vancouver has already got it's HD channel bitrates raised. In any case, your ranking of Shaw Cable is definitely outdated for Vancouver area.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Chris, if you really did look at the picture quality in equal footing there is no way you could possibly rank Bell TV's HD picture quality over Shaw Direct's HD picture quality, just saying...:confused:

·
Registered
725 Posts
^^^^
I have no personal experience with Shaw Direct or other providers except Shaw Cable, which I find is as close to OTA as any provider could get and thus my comments. Perhaps my detailed analysis is overkill to most, but I keep reading people saying Shaw Cable has bad PQ so I just want to put those thoughts to rest. ;)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Not all HD is crammed equally

As viewed on a 1080p Plasma

1. C-Band HD Network Feed
2. Blu-Ray
3. OTA
4. Shaw Cable
5. Torrent via Media Center
6. Shaw Direct
7. Bell
8. Telus

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1. C-Band HD Network Feed- Where can I get that in BC? I like to have something better than Blu-ray.
2. Blu-Ray
3. OTA
4. Shaw Cable
5. Torrent via Media Center-Cannot comment on this because I have no experience with this plus is it not against forum rules to post about piracy.
6. Shaw Direct
7. Bell
8. Telus- suprised this is rated last as the two included movie channels on Shaw are very poor and the rest are around par with Shaw Cable.
I am going to have the service at same time later this year to do a direct comparison.
Also suprised because of all the negative comments on Bell in this thread. Surely my Telus Optik TV performance do not fit under these descriptions.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts