Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie questions here.

So I am considering cancelling my 3 year Fido agreement which still has a year to go on it. I have contacted Fido and they told me the cancellation fee would be $240 or $20 per month.

I'm hoping to get a discount from the new carrier to offset some of that $240 so the monthly savings on my new plan should make it well worthwhile to move.

So if I cancel,

• Is my iphone still usable as an iPod Touch or does Rogers somehow block that?
  • I have the 6GB $30 a month option so is it worth trying to transfer the account to someone who does not have that data plan?

Essentially, I'm just trying to maximize the worth of the iPhone after I cancel

Thanks in advance
Hugh

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't know about the plans, but I do know that if you cancel your contract, your iPhone will still be usable like an iPod Touch with a camera. It will be as if you have no service.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Pretty sure it can moved to the other carrier. Via unlocking it.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Not to mention it should still be able to initiate a 911 call if ya ever had to.
A valid sub is not required for a 911 call to go thru on any cellphone, at least not here in the states...

·
Premium Member
3,996 Posts
It won't work on a new entrant, which I believe is where Hugh plans on going.

The iPhone should still work as long as it has a SIM in it. Apple has details here.

If you know someone who wants the plan than it may be worth it. Better yet if they're willing to take on your contract. If you don't know anyone who wants it I wouldn't go to too much hassle to find someone; it can be a huge pain to do the transfer anyway.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I have done a transfer with a coworker before with telus. IT was a pretty simple process and you need to get on the phone with customer service and have both parties present to make if go smoothly. We had it done in about 20minutes

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
if u want to use the iphone on another company check the bands first, the iphone will work on rogers, bellus, fido, chater, but wont on wind, mobilicity and pubic mobile.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
from the link from TorontoColin (thanks by the way ;) )

You can use any SIM card associated with the carrier that your device supports to activate the phone. Simply place a SIM card from the last carrier with which you used your iPhone into the device, and activate it. Then remove the SIM card. You can now use the iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS as you would an iPod touch (Wi-Fi only, no cellular service).

Note: You can use the activated SIM card from your new iPhone to do this.

To re-activate an iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS that displays the "Connect to iTunes" screen:

Insert a SIM card from the carrier with which you used your phone. Note: If you are using the same carrier, you can use the activated SIM card from your new device to do this. If your device is unlocked by your carrier, you can use any SIM card.

Connect the iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS to iTunes on a computer connected to the Internet.

iTunes will then activate the device. You can remove the SIM card at this point and use the iPhone as if it were an iPod touch.
This part is confusing

"You can use any SIM card associated with the carrier that your device supports to activate the phone. Simply place a SIM card from the last carrier with which you used your iPhone into the device, and activate it."

So when Apple says Activate, they just mean allowing the phone to act as an iPod Touch, not that the SIM card needs to be "active" since obviously it would when service was cancelled.

Practically speaking, I get the feeling that if I just leave the SIM card in the iPhone, I shouldn't have a problem using it as an iPod touch.

I want to be able to port existing number to a new provider and I don't want the hassle so I don't see myself trying to transfer the contract. If I can get a $100 port in credit the cost of cancelling is only $140 which I will save in about four months.

·
Registered
833 Posts
The "activation" they are referring to is when the iPhone is brand new or restored to factory defaults. If you recall when you first got your iPhone, when you first turn it on you can't do anything with the phone until you connect it to a computer with iTunes to activate it. Apparently it requires a SIM card as well in order for the activation to work. Once it's activated you shouldn't need the SIM anymore (unless you reset it to factory defaults again for some reason).

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Grog. I just like to be doubly sure before I do anything!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts