Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Festive greetings people,

I'm currently rejoicing in the stable functionality that my newly constructed VMS-based HTPC provides. Truly, I think, a Christmas miracle.

There are, however, two issues slightly myrrhing my oh-so festive experience -

1. Audio popping/clipping? - occurs when viewing live and recorded TV, only on certain channels. It's a popping sound - often occuring with speech, but doesn't seem to relate to the sound level (i.e. it would be a bit weird if it was actually clipping). CityTV seems to be the worst channel for this - others are completely fine. This doesn't happen when I plug the STB directly into the TV - so could be an HDMI issue, but can't find anything like it listed on other threads/forums!

2. S-Video Colour- compared to viewing directly on the TV over RGB component cables (just SD, from STB) the SD picture received on my HTPC from the STB via s-video seems washed out and a bit fuzzy. It's not terrible, but is definitely worse than going direct over RGB. I'm wondering if there's any way to improve the TV picture quality, or whether people just put up with a sub-par image when using S-video?

Thoughts/tips/opinion/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Merry xmas!

-------------------------
32-bit VMC, connected to Aliant STB (s-video) running on Gigabyte GA-MA78G-S2H, AMD Athlon 4850e CPU, Ninja Mini Heatsink, 4GB Crucial Rendition DDR2-800, 500GB WD Caviar Green, Hauppage HVR-1600 TV Card, ASUS DRW-2014L1T DVD, all going straight into 32" TV over HDMI (including audio)

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
For point 2, are you saying that you are using the S-video out from your graphics card?

If yes, switch to either VGA, component, or DVD/HDMI. The S-video output from pretty much every video card is terrible.

EDIT: I think you are connecting your STB to the HTPC via S-video. When you are doing that you are going through an extra A/D conversion step, which will affect quality. The best bet is to use a cable tuner in your HTPC.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply - and yes you are correct... the connection is:

STB -> (S-video) -> HTPC -> (HDMI) -> TV

Unfortunately I have an IPTV service (Aliant) which means I can't use a cable tuner card.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm having some similar issues. My picture does seem somewhat washed out and fuzzy compared to when I was going direct from my STB to my TV. Right now I am connected with co-ax from my STB into my HVR-1600 and then DVI out to my TV.

I also notice some extra noise now too, which seems to come and go. I haven't noticed if it is any worse on particular channels, I have only been using the card for a day. The sound is almost like a squeaky fan, but it is coming through the speakers and not the computer so I know I can rule out the fan. The audio is running from the on-board audio on my motherboard, going out 3.55mm jack to an RCA input on my stereo.

Has anyone else been having similar issues with this card, or any others?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts