Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in a bit of a dilemma right now and could use some advice from the wiser audio/video folks here.

I currently own a HK AVR 445. My TV only has 2 component inputs yet I have 4 units with component hook ups. This is how I currently have it set up.

TV - FTA - LG DVD Player.

When I want to switch to my Shaw HDPVR I just switch the components on the back of the TV with my FTA. Same with my Samsung BR player. I just unhook my LG DVD player and hook it up the same.

So I've got two options here. I could buy one of those units that put 4 component in and 1 out to the TV or.... and this is where you guys come in... OR should I put them all into the HK AVR 445 and then to the TV. If going through my HK would be better, I'd have to ask, does it loose any picture quality?

Thanks to all who reply.

DG.

·
Registered
340 Posts
i'd loose the dvd player.. the BD player will play dvd too..

if the HK avr has component switching that can handle the bandwidth of hd, use it for switching which ever 2 you most use with the sound system. if you watch cable for news and whatever else with no sound system, run it straight to the tv, and switch the BD and fta on the receiver.

if it has switching for 3 inputs, put all 3 through the receiver and be done with it. you will just need to always have the system powered up to watch anything

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First: Thanks to which ever mod edited my "subject line" for better understanding.

Second: Thanks for the reply nickleinonen. The HK can handle 4 in and 1 out. Loosing the DVD player sadly is not an option. It's an LG LDA-831 with USB port. I use that USB port for EVERYTHING! So what your suggesting is to place all four (FTA, DVD, Shaw HDPVR and Blu-ray) in to the HK then out to the TV?? If so, will it loose any video quality? Thanks again.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again 57 and nickleinonen for the advice. I made an error in the number of components in via the HK but no big deal. There were 3. I put in the Blu-ray, FTA and Shaw HDPVR. The DVD player I just hooked up to the second component on the TV. Thanks again for the advice folks. Works like a charm with no picture quality loss. Glad to be here with knowledgable people.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts