Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I thought I would share with the group my first OTA 'Religious Experience' for lack of a better word.

I finally got around to unpacking my new 37" LCD TV with integrated ATSC/QAM tuner. I didn't have the wall mount yet so I just set it on the floor and plugged an old pair of rabbit ears in to the AIR input and scanned for digital and non-digital channels. I quickly jumped to channel 4 analog and watched some CBC. I then hit the CH+ to see the next station which happened to be 4-1 CBC HD. I was truly amazed at the image and sound. Next, I hit the GUIDE button and watched as the program information was downloaded and displayed for the next day. During this time my set of rabbit ears few over and was laying down beside the TV. The HD signal never even blinked. Wow!

·
Registered
387 Posts
HD Creed

In the name of the TV, the antenna and DTV, Amen.

Bro Jake, you were once blind and now you see. Your eyes have now seen the truth, the life and the way HD was meant to be seen, digital OTA. Few ever get to see HD in its true glory (but the numbers are growing each day, mostly by accident or word of mouth), many others worship false idol copies which are washed down substitutes with less substance. Plus those churches make you pay monthly just to be a member!

Welcome to the fold Brother Jake. May the HD be with you, now and forever.

Amen

·
Super Moderator
57,153 Posts
Now where did that cable heresy preaching 57 get to? He needs to be smitten with a CM4228 :) ... just kidding 57
I just happened by this thread - I could feel it calling to me. I don't watch live TV and I rarely watch the channels that are available OTA (other than CBC).

If the HD channels I do watch - HDNet, TMN, PBS, Discovery, TSN, M-HD, were available OTA, I'd be "there".

·
Super Moderator
11,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys are a hoot. But I have seen the light. So say we all. Now every night I pray to the metal gods towering over us mere mortals. :)

The funny thing is I find myself watching more CBC and SRC than before. For example, last night my wife was watching L'heure de gloire and I decided to stay and watch. Clodine ... :p

·
Super Moderator
11,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Viewsonic 3752W. October 2006 build. I didn't see QAM listed in the tuner specs but the manual seems to indicate this function.

PS: I watched National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation last night on CBC using the ATSC tuner. It was not HD but it was way better than NTSC P&S being widescreen and having DD sound!

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
So...are you guys saying that OTA HD is of a better quality than that which I see fed to me by the good folks at Rogers? I suppose it might make sense...compression, bandwidth limitations, etc.
Well, this is a topic of debate. Some claim that Rogers doesn't further compress the HD signals and others claim that they can see a difference in PQ when comparing Rogers and OTA. There doesn't seem to be any disbute however that Expressview compresses their HD channels.

·
Super Moderator
57,153 Posts
As discussed in the OTA forum many times, Rogers (Ontario) doesn't compress the HD signals, leaving the full 19.4 Mbps available for the signal.

Any difference in image quality could be associated with:

- Rogers handling of the signal
- The Rogers STB in question
- The ATSC STB in question
- The fact that the ATSC signal is "closer" to the original source. Etc.

What I can say is that programming on HDNet and Discovery on Rogers looks excellent and I can't really imagine much better. I've seen OTA on my father's TV and it doesn't look significantly different when you've got a really good programme. Those who have both can, of course do a real comparison.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
You got that right, Jake. When I dropped Rogers Cable and went OTA, I knew I'd be making sacrifices in programming and channels, but the trade-off in benefits of actually not having to pay for what I receive via OTA, to me, outweigh the losses.
Not a night goes by that my lovely wife and I say to each other while we're watching TV, "We're watching this for free!"

·
Registered
170 Posts
Not a night goes by that my lovely wife and I say to each other while we're watching TV, "We're watching this for free!"
Free is good!

I'm glad to hear that the differences between OTA and Rogers Ontario are minimal at best. Rogers is expensive but the ease of use and the amount of programming is of great value to me as a consumer...plus my wife works for Rogers and so gets 50% off. :)

kixsand

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.