Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just signed up for FiberOp this morning. Looking forward to trying it out on the 16th

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got my 2Wire swapped for an Actiontec. My speed would fluctuate every now and then (go down to 5/1 from 25/5), so the repairman figured it was the modem. Time will tell.

I use an Airport Extreme for my wireless, so I won't be testing the wireless N.
I'm trying to get my Airport Extreme setup as my primary FibreOp router with no luck. I tell it to connect to the WAN using DHCP (just like my Actiontec router appears to be doing...), but it just sits there and says that there is no internet connection present.

Can anyone provide me with detail on how to accomplish this?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Before disconnecting the Actiontec router, you have to release the IP first. Then connect your new router. Most times you'll immediately get a new IP, but sometimes you'll have to wait upto 2 hours. Be patient.

·
Registered
965 Posts
The Airport Extreme does not have VLAN support, meaning you can not connect it directly to the ONT and have it work. You have to use the Actiontec or the Asus as well.

·
Registered
965 Posts
You can either use it to extend the range or DMZ it and use it to sorta handle your internet, but the Actiontec would still be in use.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Looking at getting a AirPort Extreme as my wifi range is quite poor. Is it easy to set up with the actiontec FibreOp modem? Would I turn off the Actiontec wifi and use the APE's dual band wifi, running a Ethernet cable from the WLAN port on the Actiontec To the APE?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I don't know about an Airport since I don't have one, but I use that basic configuration with my Netgear 3700, yeah. Wifi on the Actiontec is off, the Netgear is connected to the Actiontec, and the Netgear's wifi is on.

In the simplest configuration you disable DHCP on the second router (the Netgear in my case) and connect the cable into one of the normal ports, with the Actiontec still handing out DHCP addresses.

My configuration has the Actiontec plugged into the WAN port on the Netgear, with the Netgear's DHCP on. The Netgear gets an IP from the Actiontec, and all other devices get one from the Netgear. I then put the Netgear into the DMZ on the Actiontec, and I've found that works pretty well.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
You need to connect the router to the Actiontec using the other router's WAN port (as if you were connecting it to the Internet). I just configured it to get its WAN address from DHCP.

Turn on the router's internal DHCP server, and connect all your other devices to that. On the Actiontec's admin screen, go to the DMZ setup and put in whatever IP the router got. Done. :)

Don't use the "advanced DMZ" option. Although it sounds like it should be the ideal thing, there's a bug in the Actiontec firmware that causes frequent network disconnects if you use it. Normal DMZ is far more reliable.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Looking at getting a AirPort Extreme as my wifi range is quite poor. Is it easy to set up with the actiontec FibreOp modem? Would I turn off the Actiontec wifi and use the APE's dual band wifi, running a Ethernet cable from the WLAN port on the Actiontec To the APE?
Put the airport extreme into bridge mode and plug it into your router.

Run the airport utility from any device to configure it. That's it. :) Works like a charm.

Edit: you should also disable the wireless on your Actiontec router.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What sucks about the Optic Network Terminal the remaining Ethernet ports 2,3, and 4 can only be activated from the ISP (Bell Aliant) according to the guy that installed mine. I was told each Ethernet port supports 2 Gbps throughput so Bell Aliant is much capable of providing 1 Gbps on the upstream and 1 Gbps on the downstream.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Yes, and no. There is no reason Bell Aliant can't do a 1Gbps symmetrical profile but in practice as the fiber is shared you could get less, as can happen on DOCSIS. The ONT also doesn't act as a router, so you couldn't "share" your internet using those additional ports.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Aliant uses GPON FTTH technology which provides 2.4Gbps down and 1.24Gbps up to the splitter in the outside boxes, from there aliant uses 32 channel splitters that then shares this bandwidth to 32 customers, so in order to provide 1Gbps symmetrical they would have to upgrade to wdm-pon or eliminate the splitters and have each customer fed directly to the olt in the headend(aliants ftth service was not deisgned for this)

41 - 60 of 60 Posts