Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a few pictures of my fibreop install. The tech ran the fibre from the pole, down by my power meter, than around the corner of the house and into an unfinished area of my basement.(I hope these pictures work, I"m linking to them from dropbox so I'm not sure it will)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm 86 people looked at this post and only 1 lets me know the pictures don't work, here are ones i uploaded to flickr

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahh the STBs are slow but that should all change when they upgrade to mediaroom by the end of the year, the internet is crazy fast it makes using services like drop box alot better.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yes, the STBs all have HDMI out, but they are not reliable with the current firmwares. Even BellAliant tech will tell you that component is the best way to go right now.

You can certainly use the HDMI (they ARE functional), but they are buggy with respect to dropouts (both video and audio). For example, change a channel from HD to SD... then back to HD, you'll get no picture but WILL get audio.

Things like that are why I'm using component on both of mine.

·
Registered
463 Posts
That is a lot of equipment that FuzzFace has there... LOL!

Mine is a lot simpler - the box is on the side of my house, the cabling is run inside my house to my utility room where it's connected to the router/modem. I have the much bigger 2Wire (not sure why Fuzz's is a smaller one - I think I have had mine longer - since May - maybe they changed hardware?).

From there, I am feeding my two tvs, one HTPC, one PC, Wii (wireless) and two laptops (plus, of course, my brand spanking new Galaxy S! :))

It was a pretty fast install by the two guys from Aliant... I had most of the infrastructure already in place, so that made their jobs a lot easier.

@FuzzFace - is that a switch coming off the modem? Will that feed other STBs or just devices (PCs, etc...)? I haven't put my little 4 port switch back in the line yet, but was thinking up dropping in a GigiBit switch in the near future...

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The alcatel-lucent box is the ONT, it has 4 ethernet ports on it but they don't seems to work except the one feeding the modem, which is an Actiontec R1000H which has 4 gigabit ethernet ports those feed my xbox, my desktop, and my three stbs

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@habskilla no I haven't really had a chance to play with it yet

@can3gxw I just had my fibreop installed on the 17th, I'm signed up for the 25/5 service

·
Registered
234 Posts
Aw...man. You got the wireless N router. Mine is a junky old G. Only got it installed a few weeks ago too.
Darn. Now I have to bug them till they give me this one.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so I just did some poking around the actinotec modem and i can get full shell access via ssh. it is running Linux 2.6.21.5 with GCC 4.2.3, time to do some playing around

·
Registered
187 Posts
Looks like they have greenlite that Actiontech, wireless modem out of Beta Testing (I've known someone who has been testing this modem on Fiber op since June) And you even blacked out your Wireless network info. :cool:

As for the HDMI on the STB's I've been running HDMI all along (I only have a PVR) , and have had no issues in relation to picture or audio dropouts...I did at one point have the screen drop to black while watching a tv show..however, this issue went away when they did their latest settop box update back in May.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I just tried to upgrade to the actiontec wireless N modem. It's a no go unless my current one isn't working right.
This service sucks. New top of the line fibreOP technology, and they throw in this crap.
Bye bye FibreOP

1 - 20 of 60 Posts