Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some background:

I have two 6131s connected to a single dish using 2 SW21 switches.

Around a month ago, I lost all satellite signal - 0 strength on both satellites on one of the 6131s. I called Bell twice over the span of 2 days to troubleshoot and nothing worked. I came home from work the next day and it was suddenly working again. During this time the second 6131 continued to work perfectly.

About 2 weeks ago, it happened again so I called the local installer. He changed out the switch (or claimed to, he's not the most reputable and he didn't charge me) and it started working again, for about 3 days, then it quit again.

I tried my 6131 on my roommate's line and it picked up signal fine. I also tried it (with a coupler) on my line direct connected to both 91 and 82 and was able to get signal.

My verdict was that the switch was bad, and the local guy hadn't actually changed anything, only fiddled with the cables and gotten lucky, so I ordered a pair of new ones to install on my own.

Well, the new switch came today and I have the same problem. Perfect signal when connected to a single LNB, none at all when connected via switch.

I'm baffled. The box seems to work fine on my roommate's line (though I haven't left it for a prolonged time), and it also works on mine with no switch. Logic seems to dictate that it's either the line from inside to the switch, or the receiver, but my troubleshooting is contradictory.

Does anyone have any suggestions before I resort to finding and running a temporary line 100ft through my front door, or order a replacement box from Bell? (Not under warranty).

·
Registered
292 Posts
the next time this happens take your working receiver to the non working receivers location. whether or not it still works will norrow down your trouble shooting.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Before you spend $199 for a replacement Receiver, why not spend $75 on a Service Call from Bell.?

I would guess it is a connector/cable problem at the SW21.

Replacing the legacy LNBF's and SW21's with a DPP Twin LNBF would be an idea as well. You can get the LNBF via E-Bay, for around $50 - $75.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts