Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed over the last few days that my 530 is acting very strange. Specifically, I've been noticing the following things:

1. When viewing and scanning through the on-screen guide, it stays on-screen for only about 10 seconds before returning to the full-screen of the program I am currently watching. I know that the guide will disappear after a period of inactivity, but I am scanning through the guide when it automatically closes.

2. Sometimes when viewing one channel I select another channel - either via the guide (when it remains on-screen) or manually punching in the channel numbers on the remote - however the 530 chooses to remain on the first channel instead of going to the channel I selected. Stranger still is that the front of the receiver shows the newly selected channel, yet the TV screen is still showing (video and audio) the first channel/program. The only way I can go to the second channel (or any other channel) is to turn off the receiver and turn it on again. When the 530 turns back on - voila! - the new channel is on screen. Very strange.

I searched a few threads but did not see this problem identified anywhere else (although I'm sure it probably has been discussed before). Does anyone have any idea what is going on and how I may be able to fix this?

I have done a hard re-boot which seems to fix the problem for a little while, but it has come back again...

·
Registered
129 Posts
2. Sometimes when viewing one channel I select another channel - either via the guide (when it remains on-screen) or manually punching in the channel numbers on the remote - however the 530 chooses to remain on the first channel instead of going to the channel I selected. Stranger still is that the front of the receiver shows the newly selected channel, yet the TV screen is still showing (video and audio) the first channel/program. The only way I can go to the second channel (or any other channel) is to turn off the receiver and turn it on again. When the 530 turns back on - voila! - the new channel is on screen. Very strange.

I have done a hard re-boot which seems to fix the problem for a little while, but it has come back again...
I had a very similar experience late in July. Hard re-boot fixed the problem. I am on my 3rd receiver since Jan 2006. I have this receiver since Jan 2008 approximatively. I am afraid i will need a 4th receiver, since i have been re-booting my box too many times during the last couple weeks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Check your "diagnostics R" screen to see if the hard drive is recognized and in good shape. (I think its Options 9-8-7-7-1, then left arrow). If it hangs on trying to get to Diag R or if your drive size is not reported then that is the issue. Mine did the same funny stuff when the hard drive started crapping out - could still record though, it's a communication issue between the box and the drive.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Those symptoms have been around for about 7 or 8 years.
The threads of code get out of sync. A reboot is the fix.

I was going to suggest it was a purposely introduced virus by SD to stimulate anemic 630 pre-sales, but I'm not certain how much truth there is that statement. Maybe a little? :confused:

·
Registered
647 Posts
At least not intentionally like the 530 code turned out to be.

The code acts like a virus because it sits in memory, causes harm to data (Guide,recording schedule), affects performance (fails to change channels), deletes files (recordings) crashes the system so a hard or soft reboot is required, avoids detection by pretending to be real useful operating system and application.
Shows evidence of self modification (one day it works, the next day it doesn't and then it's OK again)

·
Registered
647 Posts
Or brick it on the first initial upload.
There is ALWAYS some mortality.
Not sure if new models fare any worse, hopefully not.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I had nothing but trouble when we first got a 530 last year. In our case, a line being installed incorrectly contributed to the problems, possibly even created the problems to a point.

Ultimately, once we got the one we still have now, we were advised by technical escalation to turn off the Live on Disc. At the very least, only do two out of three at the same time of: A) Watching something recorded B)Having the Live on Disc on and C) Recording something else

It was explained to us that using all three at the same time can be "problematic." Here's a long thread of mine regarding what appear to be similar problems to yours:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=111300

My advice? Turn off the Live on Disc and see if that works. We like the Live on Disc and really don't like having to turn it off, considering it's one of the features. And we were told that would only be for the short-term, as that big update would fix the problem. We know how that turned out. :)

The Hans

·
Registered
440 Posts
That's like saying don't put your foot down when accelerating onto the freeway. I got a Telus Optic TV PVR box for the summer months and it's just in another league compared to my 530. I've tried for months to screw it up, it's just that stable, never mind it's got all the features that the 530 was supposed to get. The only thing it can't do is heat the room in the winter.

·
Registered
129 Posts
True, i have turned off the LOD feature.

A couple months ago, i turn it ON, and had some problems. Turn it off again, and the box got more stable.

Now, i still have the LOD off, but with some occasional problems.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I like the LOD feature. I don't turn mine off. My receiver went nuts last Dec when I was in Arizona and I only had one receiver with me. It sounded like the hard drive was going, so I unplugged the PVR over night. I got it to reboot and did a factory reset and it came back to life with just the usual weekly reboots till I came home in the spring. Next year I think I'll bring down my 505 with the 530 just incase.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
I am a total luddite regarding tvs, I can turn it on and expect it to work. My old crt expired in a lightening storm, so am using small tv from spare room. Everyone seems to think I need a big, hd tv. Never mind the choice of plasma/lcd/led in the tv decision, there exists the problem of the old school dish on the roof... So now I need to get the eliptical dish, an hd receiver/recorder and a wheelbarrow full of wires and speakers. Now after reading all the above threads concerning rebooting the demented 530 pvds, I am ready to crawl under the couch and swear off tv forever. Should I forget the recordable aspect of this hd technology and just get an hd receiver or do they have issues also?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
You really don't need a wheelbarrow of anything. Tell us what you do have and we can make SUGGESTIONS.

Do you have Shaw Direct at present? What receiver do you have?

If you are not an SD customer at present, why not apply for one of the new customer incentives. Getting an HD capable receiver will make it possible to view the HD channels even on a small CRT (albeit in standard def). SD will also give you a free dish upgrade.

·
Registered
146 Posts
and a wheelbarrow full of wires and speakers
I am ready to crawl under the couch and swear off tv forever
Orrrrr.......you could spend a modest amount of money for a nice TV of whatever size suits your taste, get a Shaw DSR-209 or DSR-319, also reasonably priced, connect it to your TV with one, yes one coax cable, and watch TV as you always have. You can even pass the time using your new Shaw receiver for target practice with your 12-gauge shotgun ,and even if you hit it, it will still continue to work.

When you get bored with that, you can amuse yourself reading threads about the problems with the DSR5xx and the as-yet-unveiled DSR6xx receivers.....:) :)

Sorry, guys.....I just couldn't resist :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
More info- I am currently a Shaw direct customer, with an old school round dish and a general instruments Navigo receiver. I don't see a number on it, just the Navigo symbol.

Realistically, I probably wouldn't use the record feature of a receiver much , since everything on tv seems to be regurgitated ad nauseum anyway. (I don't watch sports much) So any thing bullet-proof and simple is going to be a better idea.

Clearly Joshuals, you are on the same plane as my son, who is more than happy to use anything discarded for target practice! Personally, I try to discourage the discharge of firearms in the house with the exception of the cute marshmallow blaster.

So if I just get a new tv for now, but want to get one compatible for hd at some point in the future, which tv is better for this? I was at my brother's last night and he has a giant plasma tv. All the letters on the screen looked lumpy instead of smooth, this would drive me nuts. The photo set-up with the laptops seemed overly complex- some new tvs have usb ports, can they just plug in a memory stick and play photos that way? Or use a wireless usb plug in to connect with the laptop? How do you guys show photos?

Thanks for the help/suggestions.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Jasmine:

I would hardly think your questions fit this particular thread. It is obvious that you have a standard definition receiver/dish.

Having said that, I would suggest you go to a larger electronics retailer such as BB or FS or whatever is closest to you. Audition the TVs and get one that fits your budget, your room size and your picture quality. If you want other features such as you enumerated, that can help narrow down your choices.
Many retailer are offering a free or inexpensive SD receiver (HD capable like a 505) if you purchase a TV over a certain price point. SD will, no doubt, offer you a free dish upgrade since the wiring is already in place and will arrange a service call.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry for being off topic, I was thinking about getting the pvr receiver, but after reading about the rebooting, figure it's better to stick with simple receiver.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Then begin your search for a TV you like and your present Navigo receiver will still work for you until you decide to go Hi-Def. By then, you and I will both be reading these threads about the successes and failures of the new PVR 630. I stayed away from the 530 since it was "born" because of its inadequacies.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Agreed.....sorry if I came off as being obtuse in my last post.....

I was trying to point out that Shaw offers 2 SDef receivers that are quite "bulletrpoof" if you're not the type that likes to deal with problems/issues. The 209 & 319 receivers are compatible with a new format of signal that Shaw is in the process of adopting (called "8PSK") that will render all but the newest receivers obselete (those that will continue to work in the new format include the 2 mentioned above, and the 505, 530 and 6xx receivers.) For the older receivers, the channels will begin to disappear a few at time as they make the switch-over. They have already begun the transition with a few French/ethnic channels, but I have not read of their schedule for the English, so a legacy receiver may still be good for you for a while....

Good luck.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts