Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any music production GURUs here??

Recently I have developed a new passion for music creation but I have no idea what to do and where to start. So, I am here looking for some advice on what software should I go for as a newbie. I watched some youtube videos on this subject and they were suggesting softwares like Audacity, Logic pro X, garageband, FL studio, walk band, etc.

I am not sure which of these software would be an ideal choice for a beginner.

​​​​​​​Any suggestions?

·
Registered
30 Posts
What operating system are we talking about?

Are we talking about real music with a melody, bass lines and instruments or stolen tracks chopped up?

And how are you getting your music to the PC? Do you play an instrument?

Audacity is pretty good but doesn't support asio.

Reaper is cheap and good and does support asio for low latency recording.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would recommend you to start with garageband because you stated that you are a newbie.

Garageband is pretty easy to use DAW software and I like it personally as well.

There are better DAWs than Garageband but for a beginner Garageband is ideal and free.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks man. Yes, I am a newbie in this field. Is there any reliable source from where I can learn about using GarageBand. Like an easy tutorial, guide or something.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can check this blog here. Seems like a very resourceful blog to me. If this doesn't help you or you don't find it suitable you can simply check out some videos on youtube for garageband tutorials for beginners or you can search for articles on google. Surely you will find something helpful.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Regardless of which software you decide on - you should consider the method you will use.

I only use Windows.

What I usually do is open Cubase (or Ableton Live or Reaper - but not Audacity)- insert a vst (virtual instrument) track and play a drum track that plays by itself. Or you can play it with the keyboard if you can or just drag grooves to the track.
While that plays back I doodle a chord sequence on my Yamaha midi keyboard until I find a usable combination.
That becomes an electric piano of some sort.

Then I duplicate that track and set it to play bass with a self-playing bass VST.
Then I improvise some guitar to add to it.

Once you have a midi track - you can set it to be any of hundreds of instruments. Many free.
Which means you can duplicate the track a dozen times and have a dozen different instruments playing in unison.

The main thing is that you can play a new track while you hear the previous tracks are playing back. For harmony or whatever.

The computer sound card usually won't cut it. I use a Line 6 Toneport that supports ASIO. I plug guitar and mic into it and it uses usb to the computer. My headphones and speakers plug into it. I bought it in 2006 for about $100.

Without low latency you will hear the note a half second after you play it. That's like playing a duet with somebody with no sense of timing. That's why asio is important on a Windows machine.

What vsts are click the link for all you need to get started for free

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trmsTjLUm2Y

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Cubase has been around since the early 90’s, and is a solid, multi-tracking system. Propellerhead Reason is also an elaborate creation system, but both are a little pricey. Garageband is cheaper, and may be better until your into getting more professional.
There are lots of choices, and software can be frustrating. I’d spend a little time in the community forums for each product you’re most interested in, ask some questions, read some answers, and see what others say. But as someone else said, leave some budget for external devices, sound cards, USB mixers, controllers, etc. But there are so many choices, you’ll be busy for hours.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts