Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have two lines from my quad lnb dish going directly in a cabinet feeding my dsr530. I need to put a 3rd receiver in there. Can I use the 4X8 multiswitch I have with just the two lines going in to run the 2 receivers(3 Tuners) ? Do I have to re-autorise the 2 receivers afterwards.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
The four lines from the LNBs need to be fed to the 4X8 multiswitch inputs. From there you can run any combination of lines, two for the 530, one for each of the receivers up to 6 receivers per account. You shouldn't have to reauthorize your 530.

·
Registered
186 Posts
If you are adding a 3rd receiver and have only 1 530, you shouldn't need a multiswitch (if I understood well). Your quad has 4 outputs already

·
Registered
45 Posts
re WB68

I disagree with the previous reply. I am using the WB68 with my dual stacked LNBs and it works great. I even called Zinwell to confirm that it would work before I laid out the $20 bucks on an Ebay purchase. I'm pretty sure it should also work with the Quad arrangement, but I haven't tested it.

I use only 2 of the LNB inputs, the 13v and 13V+22kHz with the dual stacked. As the name implies, 'Dual Stacked' re-modulates/down converts one of the sat polarites on top of the other. That is,the lower polarity is modulated as normal between 950Mhz and 1450 Mhz. The other polarity is stacked on 1500 to 2100 Mhz, thus the dual stacked receiver configurations don't use voltage switching for polarity. The receiver simply 'looks' for the correct channel by tuning the appropriate demod frequency. The WB refers to Wide Band, meaning that the internal electronics can pass signals up to 2500Mhz. (Obviously needed for dual stacked receivers). The sat selection is done internally in the WB68 with the 22kHz the DSR sends it. The 22khz label on the port merely states which port is 'hot' when the DSR is sending the 22kHz sat selection tone.

In a previous post about this switch, from memory, I had said that the unused input ports were for diplexed off air antenna inputs. I was wrong, the extra ports are indeed for satellite systems(DTV) which have more than 2 sats to select from. For Starchoice, just leave these FlexPorts unused.

Hope this helps. At $20, they're a great deal.

Tesla

·
Registered
849 Posts
I can now (also) confirm that this switch does work with StarChoice - at least with a quad LNB.

2 ports are labeled FlexPort which you ignore.

Hook 4 lines from your quad to 13v, 13v, 18v, and 18v. Hook up your receivers to OUT1-OUT8 and that's it. No power supply required.

Ebay, $11 + $15 shipping to Canada

·
Registered
92 Posts
Tesla.

You are able to split a stacked signal, non multi-switch, regular high-voltage splitters will work if you are only watching SD. I believe that a multi-switch may be needed on a stacked LNB only if you are using more then one HD box off that same splitter.

Non-Stacked cannot be split by a conventional cable splitter. I believe *C has only ever made one, single look non-stacked LNB with only 2 connections on it. The rest are all quad connections (All dual look LNBs). Due to this a multi-switch must be used if more then 4 lines are needed. When you use a multi-switch on a non-stacked LNB ALL FOUR lines have to be connected, each will carry its own signal. Two sats, two signals per sat equals 4 lines into the switch so it can properly distribute the signals to additional lines.

Anyway, to answer the doods question above. No, you won't be able to simply split one of the 530 lines to add another receiver. Just run an additional line, I know it's a pain but *C will do it for 50 bucks. I consider that a deal after what I went through installing my own line...

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
You are able to split a stacked signal, non multi-switch, regular high-voltage splitters will work if you are only watching SD. I believe that a multi-switch may be needed on a stacked LNB only if you are using more then one HD box off that same splitter.
My experience is that a split line to two receivers will work on a stacked system until you set one receiver to HD, then the other won't pick up SD channels.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I can now (also) confirm that this switch does work with StarChoice - at least with a quad LNB.

2 ports are labeled FlexPort which you ignore.

Hook 4 lines from your quad to 13v, 13v, 18v, and 18v. Hook up your receivers to OUT1-OUT8 and that's it. No power supply required.

Ebay, $11 + $15 shipping to Canada
Can also confirm that the Zinwell WB68 works with SC - have 2 - HD DSR505's, a HD DVR530 (dual tuner) and a DSR205 hooked up through it and it works just fine. Didn't want to get a switch that required a power supply and this one fit the bill great.

·
Registered
849 Posts
If you add the Zinwell WB68 switch later do you need to re-activate the receiver(s) with *C?
Adding the switch has nothing to do with the activations status of your receivers. If your receivers have become deactivated because of inactivity, then yes, you will need to reactivate.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks, I am just getting the installation done tomorrow but wanted to know incase I want to expand in the future.

·
Registered
353 Posts
multiswitches

yes but it depends what you mean by "dual lnb"
there are several different types of lnb or lnbf on the dishes that have been installed over the years.
the oldest lnbf was a single output that could feed only 1 receiver. it was basically L shaped with a rectangular metal box. you can't use a multiswitch with those.
around the same time about 10 years ago the dual lnbf was an option and it looked like a cylinder with 2 coax connectors on the back. you could plug in 2 receivers or run those 2 lines to a multiswitch which then broke those lines out to 4 or 8 or 16 outputs depending on the size of switch you bought. some people think the multiswitch is nothing but a splitter, however it is actually a collection of relays. what happens is 1 of the cables coming from the dish gets dedicated for 13 volts ( vertical polarity ) and the other cable coming from the dish is dedicated to 18 volts ( horizontal polarity ). when a receiver connected to the switch is sending 13 or 18 volts down the cable, the relays inside the switch direct the connection to 1 of the appropriate inputs. note the single satellite dual lnbf can only give you reception from 1 of starchoice's satellites, so if you want hd or any of the channels from the f2 satellite, you need a dish upgrade.
the next type of lnbf was the single stacked and like the above only picked up signals from 1 satellite. the advantage to this one was that you didn't need an expensive multiswitch, all you needed was a high frequency splitter. it looked like a cylinder on your dish but instead of 2 connectors there was only 1 and it was offset from center so that you can recognize the stacked lnb. there are some non-stacked lnbfs that are shaped like a cylinder, however they usually have the connector in the center. you can run as many satellite receivers as you want from one dish with a stacked lnbf, you just put in a bigger hf splitter and maybe add an amplifier if needed.
when starchoice began transmitting from 2 satellites they came out with the double stacked lnbf. it was basically 2 of the single stacked lnbfs ganged together and mounted on a dish that had a skew adjustment so that the whole dish could be rotated sideways to make the 2 lnbfs line up with the 2 satellites in the sky. these dishes normally came with a 2x2 stacked multiswitch but it could be changed out to 2 in by 4 out switch. these switches are rare as hen's teeth now that starchoice has come out with the quad lnbf.
the quad lnbf seems to be the "standard" that will eventually replace all previous lnbfs. you will recognize it by the 4 conncectors on the bottom. if you had the double stacked dish, you could take off the old lnb rack and take out the switch, then put a new quad lnbf on in it's place. otherwise the whole dish has to be replaced. the advantage of the quad lnb is the built in multiswitching inside the lnbf. there's no switches to hook up and you don't have to keep track of which of the 4 cables is coming from which satellite, you just plug in up to 4 receivers. the disadvantage though is for more than 4 receivers you have to run those 4 cables to a 4 by 8 or 4 by 16 multidish-switch and that multidishswitch has to output a 22khz tone on 2 of those cables so that it activates the multiswitches in the quad lnbf. that means you have to use the multidish-switch recommended by starchoice, or at least 1 that operates the same way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the explanation, it was very informative. The LNB that i have is the one you described as "the dual lnbf was an option and it looked like a cylinder with 2 coax connectors on the back". So it looks like i will be able to use my multi switch. :D

One other question regarding the multi switch. The switch i have i believe has 2 inputs to give me 4 outputs. If i hook this up, will it lower my signal strength or will it stay the same for all the receivers?

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
It will drop the signal strength a little, but what counts is signal quality, and with a properly aimed dish, you will not notice anything in use.

·
Registered
353 Posts
some multiswitches are powered by the receivers connected to them and there is usually a small loss in signal strength going through them, nothing to worry about unless your signal is already low. if the switch has a separate power supply, there may be an amplifier built into the switch to compensate for the signal loss.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts