Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 100 of 368 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
The easier way...

Gents,

There is no technical rational to use 2 dishes for this project. All you need is 2 multiswitches, and 4 two way, one port power passing high frequency splitters (or 5 if you are using a 5X8 multiswitch configuration. ). You'll also save a lot of cable!

Just make sure the "legs" are the same going into each multiswitch from each high frequency splitter (the 13V, 18V, 13V with 22KHz, and 18 with 22KHz). All Multiswitches are labled so it's pretty simple. You don't need to use Eagle Aspen.

Larger Multiswitches are available but the costs go up very dramatically. You can grab a Phillips SWD5058/17 5X8 Multiswitch from Princess Auto for about $35, or something off eBay for even less.

I'd pull all 4 feeds from your Quad LNB inside the house, and mount all the devices on plywood. Then feed the output of the Multiswitches to any Tuner / Reciever. Mine is outside so my neighbor can connect using his own Shaw Direct account. He helped out a ton with a very tough install so it was the least I could do.

If you are using a 5X8 Multiswitch you'll also need some diplexers for those TVs where you need to un-multiplex the mixed signal.

I hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Aspen Eagle, Terk, Phillips . . . all 5x8 multiswitches (which I need).

For a Shaw Direct Quad LNB dish, will they all perform equally as well? Are they all indoor/outdoor, or are some more fragile outdoors?
What about the "antenna" aspect - all good performers there?

Owners, please comment.
Thanks

·
Registered
704 Posts
I researched various multiswitches and found few that were outdoor rated. As you can see my experience is only recent with the Phillips unit and so far it's working fine. I'm mounting it outdoors, where it should be inside an enclosure of some sort to shield it from the elements (particularly water in it's various forms in winter) and mechanical damage by people and animals.

I've got a 20 X 10 inch plastic enclosure designed for telephone / cable systems for it. It's water resistant to about NEMA 4 enclosure level and quite robust. The photo of the multiswitch is just the temporary install to acertain 100% system functionality. Even the F connectors used will be changed to an outdoor moisture resistant type. I'm contemplating using dielectric grease as well.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
My first installation by a *C technician was a stacked elliptical dish with a 2 x 2 multiswitch strapped to the dish arm. Even with proper "weatherproofed" connectors, within a year the cable ends corroded and ruined the switch.
The second installer finally found a hard-to-come-by 2 X 2 switch replacement and installed the cable ends with boot covered connectors. That last a little longer.
I had Shaw replace with the quad lnb's at the time I installed the Eagle Aspen 4 x 8 multiswitch in the shed below the dish. I have had no moisture issues since.
Moral of the story: I don't trust outside placement of multiswitches, even if they claim to be outdoor rated.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
It is for sure better to install your multiswitch inside, and if that is not possible like Jimsathome mentioned buy a small plastic encloser to put the switch in.

tvmaster, the Eagle Aspen powered S-4180-GX+ switch & the Zinwell WB68 non powered switch have been great for me.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
yes, the powered ones add difficulty for me, as there is no power on the roof where all the sat gear is - I would have to install an outlet up there. What is the power used for in a multiswitch?

·
Registered
849 Posts
even if the switch is outdoor rated, you are still subjecting the connections to the elements.

mine is inside, warm and dry. Makes checking for issues in the dead of winter a little easier.

mine is a Zinwell WB68. works great

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Run the four cables from your dish to any dry location where you can provide power. The multiswitch doesn't have to be that close to the dish. All you need is one half a duplex electrical plug and the power cord to the switch is usually fairly generous.

·
Registered
704 Posts
yes, the powered ones add difficulty for me, as there is no power on the roof where all the sat gear is - I would have to install an outlet up there. What is the power used for in a multiswitch?
It's quite common for me to see Bell /Telus Dishes here in Greater Vancouver with switches hanging off them but they don't have a potenial for 8 outputs (only 4).

I too strongly urge you to pull the 4 Cables into someplace warm and dry, install the multiswitch (powered or unpowered) and distribute the signal from there.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Buy the Zinwell WB68, like I said it works fine and no additional power is needed.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I researched various multiswitches and found few that were outdoor rated. As you can see my experience is only recent with the Phillips unit and so far it's working fine. I'm mounting it outdoors, where it should be inside an enclosure of some sort to shield it from the elements (particularly water in it's various forms in winter) and mechanical damage by people and animals.

I've got a 20 X 10 inch plastic enclosure designed for telephone / cable systems for it. It's water resistant to about NEMA 4 enclosure level and quite robust. The photo of the multiswitch is just the temporary install to acertain 100% system functionality. Even the F connectors used will be changed to an outdoor moisture resistant type. I'm contemplating using dielectric grease as well.
Do you know if the Phillips multiswitch has the ability to connect on OTA antenna, or is the Aspen the only one that does that?

·
Registered
174 Posts
The Pico-Macom 5x8 supports on OTA (or cable) antenna. Look for a 5x8, instead of a 4x8 - that's the difference. I got my Pico-Macom from Shaw Direct.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
has anyone done a signal loss test with any of these switches? I'm at the low end of the signal spectrum, so a unit that has a 6db loss as opposed to 3db loss is significant to me.
and there IS a difference with these things, as I found out implementing a UHF/SAT combiner. One unit padded down the signal enough so there was NO signal.
thanks

·
Registered
704 Posts
has anyone done a signal loss test with any of these switches? I'm at the low end of the signal spectrum (southern exposure), so a unit that has a 6db loss as opposed to 3db loss is significant to me.
and there IS a difference with these things, as I found out implementing a UHF/SAT combiner. One unit padded down the signal enough so there was NO signal.
thanks
Powered Multiswitches are designed to actually boost the signal a little (~1.5dB) to overcome insertion (connection) losses. If decent cables and F connectors are used your net effect should be always positive with a bit better signal at the reciever.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If you look at www.picomacom.com you can find the full specs for a line of multiswitches. I am using the TSMS-5/8, and there is a TSMS-4/8, both of which are powered, so should produce signal gain. Unfortunately, the gain/loss specs they quote leave me confused, as it shows -5 dB for the 5/8 but 0 dB for the 4/8.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Multiswitch 5x8 question

Hello there, happy new year in advance to everybody.
I have the elliptical with dual Lnb with 4 output feeding 4 receivers (two upstairs and two in the basament)
Just bought a 630 and they sent me a 5x8 aspen.
Im unable to make holes to bring more coax upstairs I was wondering If I can feed the multiswitch with only two coax coming from the antenna so I can have 4 output upstairs or at least 3 (since I will replace one 505 with 630.
So basically use to out from the lnb and feed two input on the multiswitch to have 4 output.
Thank you if you can answer otherwise happy new year to all!

81 - 100 of 368 Posts