Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

361 - 368 of 368 Posts

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Kudos to Shaw Direct. Was losing the majority of SD feeds on an intermittent but regular basis. Called SD. There was virtually no wait time on the phone. Got a tech who was quick in troubleshooting. Got the system working again but it was temporary. He gave me a reference number for the call which is something I have never received before this. He figured the problem was the multiswitch and I suspected the same because I had the same problem previously many years before this.

Called again. It was a Thursday. She said she would send out a tech. I said if it was the multiswitch. I could swap it out myself but then it seemed like she would need to sell me one. So I said go ahead and send the tech. The first appointment was the coming Sunday (last week). Great. The tech calls me later to ask if he can come Saturday instead, even better. He shows up on time, comes in, no troubleshooting wasting of time, just replaces the switch, was here less than ten minutes and back in business.

My Eagele Aspen S-4180-GX+ (54-2150 MHz) was replaced with a Pico Macom TSMS-4/8 MN (950-2300 MHz).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Shaw 4x8 muliswitch

I have a truck spec 4x8 muliswitch powered. When I connect all 4 inputs my green light goes off. When I remove one input my green light comes on. Does anyone know why.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
My multiswitch fell out of its enclosure during a storm and into the elements, unbeknownst to me for several days. One output seemed to have died, so I switched to a spare, put her back in the enclosure and all was fine.
Now, a day later, all the outputs seem to be dead, as all my receivers are showing ‘no signal’.
Question - would it fix itself if it were allowed to dry out? Is there a risk to the receivers if not swapped promptly? I have a spare, but it’s not as good as the Eagle Aspen.
Or, would wet weather kill it for good for some reason?

UPDATE: I went to check the AC power supply plug, which is indoors. The coax connector from the power supply (which is connected to the outside coax) was incredibly HOT. I unscrewed it, waited a minute, then screwed it back on - and all my receivers lit up again. Is there a logic circuit inside the power supply that may have become confused? It's been screwed back on for an hour, and is cool to the touch. WTF?

·
Registered
704 Posts
I’m thinking of changing my ota antenna to something like this ( https://www.factorydirect.ca/cj-tech-amplified-digital-outdoor-hd-antenna-wremote ). Question is, will it work properly if it’s incorporated into my 5x8 multi switch setup? Last thing I want is for it to somehow mess with my satellite signal just to be able to tweak a few ota channels.
Shouldn't be an issue as the frequencies are well separated by at least 50 MHz before being multiplexed (muxed) by the multiswitch. Of course you'll need a diplexer to separate the signals before the input to the Sat Box so you TV's tuner can be used.

If you didn't have a 5x8 Multiswitch in the circuit, a diplexer is used to combine satellite signals (950-2050 MHz) from the dish with Cable or Off-air VHF/UHF signals (5-900 MhHz) into one line. A second diplexer can then be used backwards to split the signals back into two separate lines (one to feed a satellite receiver and another to feed a standard television tuner or cable box).

The diplexer allows DC current through the satellite port to feed and control the LNBF.

A diplexer can also be used to separate the signal coming from a multiswitch with a Cable/Off-air Antenna port.

I hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Splitting incoming fees

I have 2 feeds coming in to a 630 PVR from an E75 dish.

Is it possible to split these 2 feeds to supply signals to another PVR on a different floor of our house?

Is there multi-switch that will do what I want?

361 - 368 of 368 Posts