Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

321 - 340 of 368 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
46FD04,
Understand your concerns on parking if/when any of the conditions you mention exist, in this case they don't. By parking in the driveway, the person assumes it's ok with the customer without asking first and further assumes no one needs to enter or exit the driveway or garage they have simply chosen to park in, or in front of during their visit. Again, not a big deal, but still somewhat presumptuous when there is ample parking at the curb situated no more than 20 to 30 ft. away.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a multiswitch-630 PVR question. I have two lines coming from outside but I want to sub out my upstairs standard HD box with the PVR. But it would be more than a hassle to run a second line all the way through the floor over to the far side of my living room to hook it up.

Can I use a 3x4 aspen multiswitch ( or another smaller reccomended brand that works on Shaw Direct boxes) and just double the lines like say from 12 feet away from the TV? Would that sort of setup work for Shaw PVR boxes?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Curt

·
Registered
783 Posts
Can anyone confirm that the Zinwell 4x8 switches work in conjunction with the triple Satellite LNB. Father in Law is still on a quad LNB, Zinwell 4x8 and a mixture of 500 and 600 series receivers. Ultimately it sounds as though everything is going to have to change to 600 series receivers and the new LNB so that made me wonder if the Zinwell will continue to function properly with the new type LNB. I haven't seen anything here indicating that it doesn't and the triple LNB has been out for quite awhile now.

Thanks....Terry

·
Registered
849 Posts
yep - I have a Zinwell 4x8. All is fine with the 3rd sat. That is the one piece of equipment I have not had to replace

·
Registered
215 Posts
Multi Switch output ports

I have a 4 X 8 multi-switch installed more than 3 years ago and it has been working fine until a couple of weeks ago.

I started losing satellite signal on one of my PVR630 receivers on an intermittent basis. After much testing I was able to determine that one of the output ports on the switch had a much lower signal level db reading than each one of the other 7 ports.

Once I changed the cable to a another free output port, the problem went away.

My questions: has anyone experienced something like this and is it possible for individual output ports to go progressively bad on a multi-switch?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Contact Shaw Direct on their Facebook Page have your account number ready as they will then have you privately direct message them, they reply with a few hours and I've found its the fastest method. I did this a few years ago and they sent someone in within a few days, he had a switch with him and there was no cost for the service call or the switch But you can inquire as to any cost involved prior. I never call anymore as the Facebook reps are amazing.

Just noticed you said you have a Free inputs on your Switch. . . Why? WE had (3) 630 PVR's & a receiver and didn't require a switch. IT wasn't until we went with (4) PVR's & a regular receiver that we required the switch. If you can drop the switch you should do so.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Moehunter - It's not a free output, I just disconnected one that had the correct signal output and it worked for my test.

I guess I'm not sure how it's possible to connect 3 PVR 630's without a switch: there are only 4 cables coming from the LNB and each PVR needs 2 inputs for a total of 6 cables. Am I missing something here? Of course I would like to not have the switch....

·
Registered
522 Posts
goalsgo: one of the outputs of my 5x8 multiswitch that i have been using for seven years has been bad from day 1 (I bought it used on EBay). thankfully I am only using six outputs

·
Registered
706 Posts
Moehunter - It's not a free output, I just disconnected one that had the correct signal output and it worked for my test.

I guess I'm not sure how it's possible to connect 3 PVR 630's without a switch: there are only 4 cables coming from the LNB and each PVR needs 2 inputs for a total of 6 cables. Am I missing something here? Of course I would like to not have the switch....
Once you get more than 2 PVR 630's (4 Cables) you need to get a multiswitch. I don't know how moehunter does his magic. ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi everyone. I’m a bit confused regarding cascading 2 4x8 multi switches. I’m going to need 9 outputs (2x830, 1X630, 2x800, and 1x600). I currently have one multi switch hooked up and also have a spare. I know bell multiswitches can cascade, but maybe Shaw direct ones are a different animal?

·
Registered
819 Posts
I know bell multiswitches can cascade, but maybe Shaw direct ones are a different animal?
Only the newest Bell Switch's can Cascade, the older Legacy ones cant.

If you needed more than 4 outputs on Legacy, you had to split the Inputs to the switch's, I would suggest this would also work just fine for Shaw.

Get 3Ghz 2 way Splitters that are all ports power passing, one per Input, then ensure that you mirror the cables to each switch. pretty sure I have done that in the past went it was StarChoice, same as Shaw.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. I’d also like to add diplexers into the mix for OTA.

I’m guessing it would go something like dish>4x8 multi switch> short coax into diplexer etc> diplexer at end of run etc?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks. I added a couple diplexers I had hanging around and it didn’t work out. The diplexers I have have uhf/sat on one port, and HPNA on the other. Neither the ota signal or the sat signal work on the HPNA port. I swapped them hoping things were mislabeled or something and same result, HPNA port did nothing. Maybe it’s not the right diplexer? It’s this one in the link, if I can post a link here.

https://goo.gl/images/5ZSPBw

·
Super Moderator
16,573 Posts
Those diplexers won't work for OTA. HPNA was specifically designed to use frequencies outside the range of OTA, cable and satellite TV. You can see by the frequencies printed on the label that the HPNA port only passes frequencies below 44 MHz, which is below the lowest OTA channel.

321 - 340 of 368 Posts