Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

261 - 280 of 368 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
While I agree that Customer installed devices causing issues could cause "negotiations" on invoicing, they in no way would ever be construed as a violation of warranty unless those devices could be proven to have caused the damage to other warranted devices supplied by Shaw. I think a Multiswitch failure by a reputable manufacturer causing damage to a system would be very few and far between.

As for Shaw Warranty covering Lightning Strikes, I'd find that amazing if true. I haven't read the fine print in their contracts but I'm pretty sure they'd have a Force Majeure Clause which limits them from liability for acts of God. And secondly, when we were discussing Grounding these systems elsewhere on the forum, some folks said their installers never grounded their system even though it's required in the Shaw Instruction Manual. (And by some electrical codes.) Some Installers say they never put Grounding Blocks on for Condos, Apartments, etc., as it's against company policy....So much for safety...:rolleyes:

Personally I think my skill level with Bell or Shaw Sat Systems is more than adequate to assist friends and family with their issues. I've seen, and heard of installs by "Pros" that would make an enthusiast cringe. Just read some of the posts around here, and you'll see about many who just want to get in and out in the shortest time possible.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Any thoughts would be appreciated. I installed 2 separate dishes and fine tuned them yesterday. Then I connected all 4 cables from my 2 dual output LNBs to a Digiwave 4x4 multiswitch. I only receive right-vert channels. Left_horiz channels are low in signal strength or zero. I read on another chat that the multiswitch may not be compatible with my LNBs. Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
1,190 Posts
Not true

I have a Zinwell WB68 I got off of ebay. No power required, has worked perfectly for a few years now, works with the new LNB.

Devices that SD sells does require power.
As you noted, I meant official Shaw Direct carried switches. The Zinwell WB68 non-powered switch still works well for a Shaw Direct system however.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Shaw has a lot of clauses that they tend not to stick to. Countless times after storm's I've seen trucks dispatched to lightning strike areas with a $0.00 charge.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Any thoughts would be appreciated. I installed 2 separate dishes and fine tuned them yesterday. Then I connected all 4 cables from my 2 dual output LNBs to a Digiwave 4x4 multiswitch. I only receive right-vert channels. Left_horiz channels are low in signal strength or zero. I read on another chat that the multiswitch may not be compatible with my LNBs. Thanks in advance.
I think you've got the wrong type of Multiswitch there. A Digiwave 4x4 multiswitch is used by Bell. You need what's typically called a 4X8 (or 5X8) switch. Eagle Aspen, Zinwell, Phillips, etc., all work well and give you up to 8 tuners connected. They are Direct TV Certified.

You can buy one from Shaw Direct but there are less expensive options that work just as well.

https://secure.shawdirect.ca/english/customercare/techcentral/hardware.asp?page=accessories&sub=15

·
Registered
983 Posts
@updateanchor,

As Mike Holmes always says, DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME.

Meaning, use Shaw Direct approved switches, made by Eagle Aspen

EAGLE ASPEN 501481 5X8 DUAL SATELLITE MULTISWITCH

4 lines in from your two LNB's, and 8 outputs.

Available at The Source

Note: the 5th input is for OTA Antenna
this switch is a powered switch which requires an electrical hookup

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Yes, do it right but do get a better deal than at most Canadian retailers. Do your homework . Example wb68 for $12 and $13US shipping for $25 US at an auction site with buy it now. I have a Zinwell working from there but I'm thinking of the "powered by receiver" which could save on the power bill?? No longer thinking of changing from self powered multiswitch because mine amplifies the signal(showed quite a change through the sat meter).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks Jimsathome, 46FD04 and gzink. The Digiwave DGS-4401 is one of two Shaw Direct multiswitches that Kusat sells. The other is a 4x8 Eagle Aspen. I could get the Eagle Aspen but first I will check the coax coming from my LNBs. Also, I need to understand if it is important to have outputs connected to a powered receiver. When I connected the multiswitch, I was out at the dishes in the backyard with my receiver and 7" TV. But I also had 2 cables connected to a non-powered 630 in the house. A project for next weekend. Thanks again.

·
Registered
704 Posts
It would be helpful if you can describe all the bits you have used (including LNBs) as well as how you "fine tuned" the Dishes. Then the folks here can chime in to assist.

I'm not familiar with using a Digiwave switch on a Shaw Direct application.The Digiwave has insertion losses as it sounds like you've set it up as a non-powered switch. This can significantly degrade your signal strength. (5 dB)

See Specs here: http://www.digiwavetechnologies.com/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=89&MMN_position=96:5

As much as I'm a fan of passive devices, 5 dB is quite a lot of loss to live with. (For example an Eagle Aspen has a 5 dB Gain, See https://secure.shawdirect.ca/english/store/download/4X8_multiswitch_spec_sheet.pdf

As far as connections to a powered receiver. The Digiwave specs say : Power supplied from satellite receiver or external power. I assume you had a plugged in receiver connected outside which would have provided power. If the receiver inside is plugged in (it doesn't have to be "on") it too provides power. Do you have a power inserter for the digiwave - the specs infer it can be used. Refer to it's manual.

I'd go for the Eagle Aspen anyway if I had to choose between the two.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks Jim. Without the multiswitch, I have very high signal strength numbers from each dish. My LNBs are from Kusat with one designed for F1/G1 reception and the other for F2. I'm thinking I may have used a bad piece of coax because I went so far as to just take a feed from each LNB into a 2x1 switch and I had nothing. Back to what I wrote earlier, the receiver inside was connected to the multiswitch but NOT powered as I borrowed that power adapter to use on the 600 receiver in the backyard. Though I put brand new compression connectors on the short lengths of coax I used, I can't say for sure that it is RG-6. If I correct the problem next weekend, I may still opt for the powered Eagle Aspen and its potential 5 db gain.

Would I require a different v-code since I am no longer using an xku quad lnb?

·
Registered
415 Posts
16 output switch?

Is there such a thing? I want to swap a 600 for a 630, that would give me 3 630's, 1 605 and 2 600's for a total of 9 lines.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Danny,

My understanding is a 16 output Multiswitch is usually quite costly. Here's a diagram of how to connect two 8 output units to get the same results. I posted this the first time on Nov. 24, 2010

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mr

Are there Multiswitches available to use with the latest Shaw xku dishes ?
This dish is for satellites Anik FR1 and G1 also Anik FR2
FR1 and G1 share the same LNB, switched by a 22Kc tone from the Shaw 530 receiver.
I would like to feed up to 16 receivers.

·
Registered
520 Posts
beaubo: The switches that worked for the old setup work for the new one, too. I have the eagle Aspen 5x8 that is also compatible with directv. I bought mine on EBay. for 16 receivers, you will need three 4x8 switches, although I think you can find a 4x16

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for suggested installation diagram.
It appears to me that this configuration would be for 8 series 630 Shaw
receivers as each one requires 2 inputs. It is a dual PVR unit and supplies a 22kc tone to switch the xku satellite. Does this tone present any problems.
Is my assumption about 8 receivers correct? If so, can this configuration be expanded to handle an additional 8 receivers ?

·
Registered
704 Posts
beaubo,

If you follow the diagram above it will work fine for 8 630s and it's probably the most cost effective solution. The Multiswitches add the 22Khz tone at the correct voltages. You don't have to use Eagle Aspen devices as there are lots of equivalents out there. Perhaps there is a diagram in this thread that shows a 16 output configuration as I don't have one.

261 - 280 of 368 Posts