Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife received a new 8GB iPod Touch yesterday free which is great since I love my iPod Touch.

The problem now is we have multiple computers, two iPod Touch's, plus my daughters Nano and my sons Shuffle.

On each computer / user / device, I have created a Playlist for syncing what songs get on each device but now I have music on three different computers under several user accounts!

I have set up an iTunes Server which uploads all of our iTunes music to a central server (which is great for back-up) but I realize that this only allows me to play the songs. I can't "pull" a song from the iTunes server or from a shared library to a playlist so it can be synced to an iPod.

What I want to be able to have is the following:

• A centralized Repository for iTunes Music
  • A Backup of my centralized repository
  • Ability to add songs from the central repository to any computers playlist so it can be synced to the relevant device

My Proposed Solution:

Create a iTunes directory on a NAS and point every computers iTunes library to that directory (if this is correct then any help in achieving this so I don't screw up the libraries would be appreciated.

Note: I thought about putting the shared storage on a Windows Home Server but am afraid the files might get corrupted because of the way WHS deals with files. The NAS seems like a more straightforward solution

Alternative Solution

Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Create a iTunes directory on a NAS and point every computers iTunes library to that directory (if this is correct then any help in achieving this so I don't screw up the libraries would be appreciated
While I can't offer much in the way of help, I can say that I know this will be "problematic". I have multiple accounts on a single computer and looked into doing something similar a while back (placing the files on an external drive and pointing iTunes for each account there).

iTunes wasn't really meant to work this way, but it might. The biggest take-away I got from my research was that, under no circumstances, should 2 copies of iTunes ever be run at the same time. They will each attempt to update iTunes' "database" files on that common file store and you will have nothing but headaches.

I vaguely recall problems with playlists too; something about the fact that iTunes may/may not be keep playlists in the same location as the music files, which can cause problems if changes are made to a playlist on one machine/account.

In the end I chose to not run iTunes under any account but my own. For us that works best, but if you have older kids that want to manage their playlists and devices themselves, that won't cut it.

I'd also love to hear from anyone that has this working though.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I dont' let iTunes "manage my music" so my music collection and organization is seperate from iTunes and it's database files. In that case multiple computers with their own iTunes software will point to the same collection on the NAS. There's no sharing of playlists and I don't know how it affects music purchased from the iTunes store (since I'd rather buy a CD and rip it).

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the insights.

Is there a way to manage four devices on one computer with one user? If I could do that, then I could just make everyone use one computer for everything and then just back the local iTunes songs to the NAS via Itunes server.

·
Super Moderator
18,854 Posts
I have 3 ipods on 1 computer so that shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure each one has a different name. Apple recommends only 1 ipod connected at a time.

I'm not sure about contacts and calendars since I just use music, video and podcasts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hugh, not sure if this solves your problem but since Itunes 7 you can manage multiple librarys and I do this daily.

Before clicking the Itunes icon hold down the shift key if your using Windows or hold down the command key if using a Mac and window will pop up asking to "create a library" or choose a library" and you can navigate to the current library location and open it up..when you close iTunes the next time you open it it will open the last library you opened.

What I have done is moved a total of 8 iTunes librarys to my NAS and have them all in a folder called "iPod library Files" and in the I have Directory for each person eg;

Readynas/iPod Library Files/Allen/
Readynas/iPod Library Files/Linda/

I then moved iTunes music folder contents to these directorys when I first did this and now whenever I open itunes on my mac I just hold down the command button and navigate to that directory and open my Library, all music can either be stored in a central folder called "MP3 Audio" or in the users individual itunes music folder, the location for each user can be changed under "Preferences/Advanced" if you don't want to mix kids musics with adult music or low grade mp3 with 320k mp3.

Hope this helps..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts