Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get rid of our landline and move to just a cell phone for home.

I already have a cell phone thru work and my wife has a personal one. I would like to use a new contract phone to use at home separate from our two cell phones.

Is there anyway to have more than one cell on a cell number ie. Additional handsets.

Thx.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
I don't know that any cell company provides this, at least to non-business consumers, but what you're referring to is called a "ring group", which a call to a number causes multiple phones to ring. This feature is common in PBXs. What you might be able to do is find a VoIP provider that supports that function to non-VoIP numbers. Of course it would be easier if your cell phones support VoIP as many smart phones now do.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I wonder if one could get a Google Voice number and set it to ring a set of cell phones at once when a call comes in.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm with voip.ms. $1/month +1 cent/minute.

Has Ring Group option. You give your voip.ms phone number to people. When they call it, all phones in the Ring Group options list ring at the same time.

I have it set up so it rings home, office and cell.

voip.ms costs you a little bit but there are a lot of features like Caller ID filtering, voicemail, and you can make menus (press 1 for, 2 for, ...). All included in the price.

If your cell plan is on an Unlimited in/out calls to at least one phone number: put your voip.ms number on it. voip.ms can forward all calls from home to your cell while overriding caller ID. You lose Called ID but you gain Unlimited In. If you call home, Caller ID Filtering can identify your phone and open a line out so you can call anywhere (even other countries) for 1 cent/minute.

·
Registered
136 Posts
There are some cordless (multi)handsets out there with bluetooth to pair with your cellphone and ring throughout the house on each handset, but I'm not sure that's the solution you are looking for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts