Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to have surround sound in 2 rooms from the same source. Either with an amplifier that would have 2 sets of speaker outputs or some kind of switch that would split the speaker signal in 2. I would only watch be watching 1 set up at a time. Looking too invest in a high end amp but since I have 2 rooms that I watch TV I don't want too buy 2. I realize I would have to by 2 sets of speakers.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
So, the thing about this is that what you're asking for would be a pretty specialized product which means you'll likely be paying a premium price compared to the possibility of getting a deal on two AV receivers from last years product model line-up.

I'd look into splitting (or switching) the source input to two AVRs in each room and see if that meets your needs.

When you say you're looking for a high end amplifier, what specific features are you interested in that mainstream products would not meet?

To directly answer your question though, if you just want to drive a lot of speakers and have a set of pre-outs from your primary AV receiver, maybe you would be interested in a product like this that can drive the speakers in the "other" room.

But, as I said, if I were you I'd consider adding a switch to switch your input sources between your two AV receivers.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The link you posted I don't think it would work for a surround sound. I believe it"s for left and right only. As for the Av receiver I'm not sure what I want yet. I figure if there was something out here that did multi-room it would narrow down the search. I was looking at the pioneers for a while. Maybe I will buy something for the basement and keep my old one for the living. Once the basement is done I'll probably end up watch most of movies and sporting events down there anyway. If available it would have been nice to have a good one that did both

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
No, the link I posted was for a 12-channel amp. There is nothing special about an amplifier channel that makes it a left, center, or rear channel. A channel is a channel, and an amp is an amp, and that unit has 12 of them. Sure, they label the amp as a series of "left" and "right" channels, but that isn't important. You could plug the pre-out for your center into a "left" channel on that box and everything would be fine.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Am I missing something. The only input I see are RCA. How would I get sound from 7 speakers spilt in 2

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Make things easy on yourself and get two AVR's like DancesWithLysol suggested.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts