Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some help...I have MTS Ultimate and so with that have the 2Wire 3800 router. When we built the house I had Cat 5 ethernet ports run to basement, living room and master bedroom along with coax and telephone. All is working great, but being a tech junkie, I have amassed online/internet products and so need more ports.
What I am wondering is if a regular ethernet switch is suffice, or do I need to get a gigabit switch. the reason I ask is that NCIX has a 5 port switch for 12.99 with free shipping....

so here is my setup:

Basement
- 2Wire
- D-Link DNS-323 NAS (will remain connected directly to 2Wire)
- Desktop
- PVR - VIP1216
- Internet capable TV
- PS3

Living Room
- Boxee Box
- Blu-Ray Player
- STB - VIP1200

Bedroom
- Internet TV
- STB - VIP1200

Wifi
- Laptop
- Netbook
- 2 iPhones
- Soon to be iPad or Xoom

I realize that some things can be run on Wi-Fi but Im not a huge fan and prefer ethernet connections.
so my thought was get 3 switchers, and then I can run one at each location and have 15 connections available total.

Soooooooo..does this seem logical??

I couldn't find any mention that the 2Wire 3800 is Gigabit anyways and so I figured it wouldnt matter getting gigabit switchs.

I have found a couple 5 port gigabit switch's on sale but they are at least double the price and if I wont see any advantage to using them, then whats the point?

OK, long enough post, tell me what you think.

Thanks!

·
Registered
76 Posts
call MTS they may provide you with a switch free of charge as long as your with them. i know if i am doing an install and run out of ports on the 2wire, i just install a 10 port switch. And no, you don't need a gigabit switch. However, MTS will not let STBs be ran through switches although it will work. Everything should be home run to the panel, thats where we would install our main switch.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I would get the gigabit switches. They will work better for file transfers and streaming HDTV content from the NAS, especially if more than one device is transferring data. If the internet router is not gigabit, I would also put a gigabit switch in the basement next to it. (Modem > internet router > gigabit switch) It sounds like you may need an 8 port gigabit switch for the basement soon.

You will probably end up getting gigabit switches eventually so might as well do it now. The DNS-323 and many other devices are now gigabit so they can be used to their full potential. The only exception might be the bedroom, where a gigabit switch will provide little benefit. OTOH, if you add a media player or HTPC there...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Gigabit or now

flyinb22, you mention you ran CAT5 cable to the various rooms. Is that true and not CAT5e? If you only have CAT5 cable than those runs will only support 10/100 Ethernet anyway and won't be able to take advantage of Gigabit Ethernet. CAT5e is the minimum requirement for Gigabit Ethernet.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Keep in mind gigabit only works if both devices support it and can transfer enough content to make it work while. I did not check all your devices as InternetTVs and BluRay players are relatively light on network bandwidth. Furtrher, the Boxee does not support gigabit ethernet. Based on this high-level analysis you would be okay with 100 meg switches.

You may want to consider placing a similutenous dual band 802.11n router in your living room to connect your Boxee and BluRay over a single run to the basement while providing improved WiFi to the wireless devices.

I would also recommend seperating everything except the VIP and a single uplink into their own network. With only four ports on the 2wire and the three VIP boxes you own that would be the recommended configuration. Thismeans your NAS would no longer be connected directly to the 2wire, however it is on the same level of your network as the devices most likely to be using it.

My last thought for now, you may want to check out switches at Memory Express. The prices there are pretty close to NCIX and you can pick stuff up at the Winnipeg store so you save of shipping.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies everyone, I have decided to buy on 8-port gigabit for the bulk of heavy use devices which are capable of gig transfer and also bought the less expensive 5-port on sale for $13 to do the bedroom switching as those devices dont require more then 100meg.
CoryB...agreed on separating the networks and VIP. I will be using the 4th port to handle most of the networking(8-port gigabit switch) to devices and put the NAS on there as well.
As for the NCIX purchase, it was free shipping and at $12.99 memory express had nothing to compare...but I have used them before and aware of their store.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts