Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 8 TV's and I need to send a 1080p HD Video Signal to each TV . I don't want to use media players on the back of each TV. The signal needs to originate from a central server and each TV needs to show different content

I thought about HDMI extenders but TV's are to far away for single or even dual cat 5/6 and fibre / transceivers to expensive.

I thought about DLNA and running cat 5 but tv's don't support it (so back to media players)

TV's do have HD Digital tuners so I am wondering if I can broadcast signal over coax cable

Maybe SDI cards in the Media Server ?

Any suggestions

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
the best way would be to inject multiple Qam signals into your existing cable setup. I know you can inject analog, but theres got to be some sort of QAM injector, that will show up either on ATSC or QAM tuner on your TV, then each TV can tune into a different channel.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
If it needs to be 1080p, it needs to be HDMI possibly with 1080p capable media clients.

For now, QAM/ATSC supports up to 1080i I believe.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK thanks I will see what I can find with the QAM/ATSC as I am sure 1080i would be better than the proposed VGA solution I am looking at. I started to poke around various PCI SMPTE 310M transport cards but the injector idea sounds interesting (now just need to find me a DVI or HDMI to 8VSB converter :)

Will poke around some thanks for the help

·
Registered
314 Posts
ZeeVee makes a product that will take component 720p component and modulates it for ATSC Coax. About $1,500 per channel, so 8 channels would be $12K. Other higher def (1080) options would be in the $2,500/channel range or $20K for 8 channels. It would be less expensive to place a XBOX 360 in each room and deliver 1080 res at [email protected] using the extender feature. But Win 7 can only handle 5 extenders at a time. It really depends on the source of content.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts