Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the awards are being shown in HD tonight? I don't think there is a MuchMusic HD channel.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
So ridiculous that in 2010 we still can't watch MTV awards in HD. And CTV only has re-runs of Undercover Boss and CSI Miami tonight.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
i agree, its not the technology that is preventing us, it is the legislation. Basically, we can get almost all the channels in HD, most of the programming is already in HD as well, but the regulatory bodies are preventing us from rolling this out, or theyre making it take extremely longer than normal and putting many restricitons.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I don't think the legislators are the reason. They usually rubber stamp a station's application to go HD. It is a major technical change for an SD station to switch to HD. The cost is enormous. Until there is a viable cost effective reason to switch they will hold off as long as posible. If there were an HD competitor allowed in Canada, Much (and Space) would be HD tomorrow, damn the cost.

·
Registered
338 Posts
It seems funny that MTV and MUCH are side-by-side on the Shaw guide, yet MUCH is where you can find the MTV VMA's, not MTV...

·
Registered
725 Posts
It's not like MTV Video Awards just turned HD this year. It was HD last year and it's not the only MuchMusic or MTV program that don't get aired on the parent company's CTV station live or not aired in HD at all.

·
Registered
725 Posts
That's what I'm saying. It's not like the MuchMusic/MTV programs just turned HD this year. The thing I don't understand is why the parent company CTV can't show them on CTV-HD live or in HD at all?

MTV Network operation is weird. In the US a few years ago, I've enjoyed HD music videos and pre-recorded live concerts on their music channel MHD/Palladia, but the MTV channel itself was SD and they had programs of every nature but music.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
your missing the point, MTV didnt just appear out of no where in Canada, they took over another network, and had to adhere to their broadcasting licence, that is why you dont see music videos on the MTV channel, as per the condition of their licence. They also have programming in HD, but because they do not have an HD channel for distrobution yet, the only way we can watch their programming in HD is on their SISTER stations, and usually 1-2 weeks delay.

Theyre studio can definitely handle HD. its probaly carriage what is taking them so long.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Most of my previous response was targeted at snorlax's comments about how much it takes to do HD although I still have a hard time to believe that CTV has no rights to show the award shows live on CTV HD.

I have no doubt MM/MTV studio can handle HD as they have been for years and I have no doubt the sister station CTV can show their shows in HD as I've seen a couple of 4Real episodes in HD on CTV and Pink's interview and performance at MuchMusic studio in HD on CTV a couple years ago. Unfortunately, that was the last of MM studio interview/performance shown in HD on CTV. All subsequent studio interview/performance shown on CTV were in SD, along with other MTV "reality" shows. The only other MM/MTV shows shown in HD on CTV are the awards show (e.g. MTV Movie Awards, MTV Video Music Awards, MuchMusic Video Awards) but they are always shown delayed.

So, Paolo, you're saying due to licensing issue, CTV HD cannot show these live award shows live except in their news coverage (yes CTV News at 11 last nite showed HD coverage of the award show)? And at some point in time in the past, CTV HD could no longer (or have decided to not pay for extra HD license to) show other MM/MTV shows in HD?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
im not saying CTV can't. there must be some reason why they would not want to use that channel, or perhaps hd is not a priority to their bord of directors right now.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
The Much studio is currently being wired for HD. The MTV studio is already HD capable, but will not launch in HD until more of the program supply from MTV Networks is in HD; it is quite limited still.
CTV did show the MVA's in HD once. 2006 I believe, it was SD only the following year and then moved in Much in 2008.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I don't think it's a priority issue (to do HD or to boradcast live in HD) among board of directors. Like I said before, CTV HD has been showing many if not all award shows (e.g. MMVA, MTV VMA, MTV MA, etc.) in HD since CTV has gone HD a couple years ago, although these shows were always shown a few days to a couple weeks delayed and there were never any higher priority shows to relinguish to in regard to schedules. And like I said OTOH, CTV HD has shown [email protected] in HD a couple years ago but subsequent interviews/performances at Much's studio including the re-run of [email protected] were all shown in SD on CTV HD. It's not like there's priority issue to bring MM/MTV shows to CTV in HD. It's a conscious motion to NOT show MM/MTV shows on CTV in HD live or in HD at all, if not a licensing issue, which I can't believe sister stations have problems with.

·
Registered
725 Posts
According to Shaw's IPG from my STB, CTV HD (Vancouver) is going to show MTV VMA 2010 next week (Sep 20th 1:07am to be exact), most probably in HD like they did last year and like many other delayed award shows from MM/MTV that CTV HD has done.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts