1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
76 Posts
Once again, it not the broadcasters who are over-stepping their bounds, but the CRTC which needs to be eliminated. They are way past the "best before" date.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I wonder what triggered off the investigation? In terms of regulatory compliance, the CRTC is more a reactive agency, and not a proactive one. They normally only intervene when someone files a complaint.

·
Registered
437 Posts
MTV Canada has been airing shows like this since their 're-launch'

Took CRTC this long to notice. Wow. Also. Jersey show is pure trash.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Since when was MTV to be an all Talk format? The M is for 'Music'

For years Canada was shafted because we had that crap Much Music station. MTV was not allowed into Canada because of it. Much had a 20 year exclusive so we had to wait while the rest of the world evolved with MTV. Now that we finally got MTV it's a 'Talk' only station ??? We’re also not allowed to now watch Jersey Shore?

MTV USA, MTV UK, MTV Adria based in Serbia, MTV Belgium, MTV Brazil, MTV Canada, MTV Turkey, MTV Netherlands, MTV Ireland, MTV Greece, MTV Hungary, MTV Russia, MTV Spain, MTV Austria, MTV France, MTV Germany, MTV Europe , MTV Portugal, MTV Adria, MTV Denmark, MTV Finland, MTV Italy, MTV Norway, MTV Poland, MTV Czech, MTV Romania, MTV Lithuania, MTV Latvia, MTV Estonia, MTV Sweden, MTV Asia, MTV Taiwan, MTV Korea, MTV Japan, MTV Thailand, MTV Indonesia, MTV India, MTV Philippines, MTV Pakistan, MTV Latin America, MTV Australia, MTV New Zealand, MTV Ukraine, and MTV Base in Africa and MTV Arabia. Also an international version of MTV known as MTV International for areas without their own.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Since it was Talk TV Canada. CTVglobemedia is pulling a fast one and hoping that by changing the name, no one refers back to the original licensing obligations. I hope the CRTC comes down hard on them for this. I'm tired of specialty channels stating that they'll air a certain type of programming to get their license and then slowly devolving and airing cheap-to-buy junk. A&E is a perfect example of this.

·
Registered
380 Posts
MTV should be slapped for airing garbage such as the Jersey Shore when the whole point of the network and the MTV brand was to be about the music. Things aren't exactly rosy on the American version of the station either. The US version of MTV and the Canadian version are indeed very similar in programming, almost no music related programming at all, instead wall-to-wall so called "reality" series.

Even more ridiculous is CTV licensing an all Talk channel and using it to launch MTV in Canada. What genius thought that one up? I suppose the CRTC would've rejected a music-centric license because of their crazy notion that TV stations shouldn't enter into direct competition with each other.

It's all lunacy, and the CRTC seriously needs to overhaul its mandate.

I had a good laugh at the headline though before reading what this was actually about. I assumed the complaint was of a *parental* nature. ;)

·
Registered
606 Posts
If by parental he means the moral minority puritan crowd the funny thing is, if CTV pulls shows from MTV, I could see them going to more widely carried channels like Much, Comedy, A or the main CTV.

Jersey Show could certainly fall under a comedy banner.

I'm usually not one for reality but I gotta say Snooki rocks.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Jersey Shore is also shown on CTV
I was suprised to see CTV adding a repeat of South Park to it's late night line up as well as some more Comedy Central late night Sunday.

I wonder if the Bell purchuse will prompt CTV to no longer be the Grandma network.

·
Banned
118 Posts
I'm kinda surprised the complaint wasn't about that it insulted Italian-Americans. I assume the Italian groups up there OK'd the show since they didn't say anything against it. Or did they just decide to let UNICO and The Order Sons of Italy in America speak for them?

Do they even have Italian groups up there? Guidos? But enough about that.

Yeah, Snooki does rock. She bounced back after that fight last season and the one with Angelina I just saw on the download.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
There were some very offended Italian groups when MTV first announced season 1, but all they managed to do was add to the hype.
There are many programs on the schedule that don't fit with the talk format. I'm quite familiar with the TalkTV/MTV license for reasons I won't get into, but if I recall correctly, the license states that the network must "have an emphasis on talk programming," and of course 'emphasis' does not mean 100%, and CTV will be arguing this.
All official press releases refer to MTV in Canada featuring "dynamic and interactive talk, lifestyle and documentary programming."
Recall that they have also made extensive use of After Shows to 'talk' about the programs that just aired.

All in all, they are probably more in compliance than some other networks.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I was suprised to see CTV adding a repeat of South Park to it's late night line up as well as some more Comedy Central late night Sunday.

I wonder if the Bell purchuse will prompt CTV to no longer be the Grandma network.
I was hoping that CTV would actually be airing the new South Park episodes - but based on the episode description for next week, it doesn't look like it. Comedy Network has the new one, but obviously not in HD.

·
Registered
606 Posts
^Yeah...that caught me off guard too esp since they're only airing it once a week so I figured it'd be the new season or else they'd air it daily like the OTA syndie eps in the US.

The late Sunday Comedy Central block is all older stuff too so I'm guessing it's part of a larger package with CBS so I wouldn't be shocked if more MTV stuff arrived on CTV even if this complaint goes away.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Since MuchMusic has exclusive rights to air music programming, MTV cannot. Also MTV carried over it's former license as TalkTV. That's why.

Also, MTV has strayed from it's music programming as early as 1985. They just re-designed their logo this year infact to take out the "Music Television" from it. I guess they finally got tired of people calling bull on them.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I whish CTV would start airing the new South Park episodes in HD, since to my knowledge there is no Comedy Network HD yet and they are part of the same conglomerate. CTV should be airing the new episodes Wednesday night just like Comedy Central.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts