Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Ultimate TV and Internet and recently my upload speed has decreased from around 1.8Mbps to 0.3Mbps. Also, the line quality tests on pingtest.net have gone from A to C with 2-3% packet loss.

My download speeds are still over 7Mbps and the TV streams are still fine with the connection showing 35000Mbps on the 2wire box. I have reset the 2wire gateway and booted into Windows Safe Mode to make sure it isn't something on my computer causing the slow down.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I'm wondering if this is a network change or if I need to call MTS to fix my line.

·
Registered
757 Posts
How many different servers did you try? I find that some of the close ones suck, which isn't necessarily an indicator of real speed. Try Calgary or Edmonton.
:confused:

I tried a test earlier at a customers house and it surpassed 1 Mbps on the upload.

Good luck!

·
Registered
217 Posts
have you tried an upload to the MTS FTP server to see what kind of upload speed you get?

Correction, uploads to the public mts FTP server does not work any more...you will have to login with your user account and upload to your personal webpage if you want to run this test...

·
Registered
217 Posts
MTS Ultimate, located in Sage Creek

Pingtest:
Server in Aurora, IL
0% Packet Loss
46ms Ping
3 Ms Jitter
A Quality

Server in Calgary, AB
0% Packet Loss
38ms Ping
0 Ms Jitter
A Quality

Speedtest to Winnipeg Server
Down 7.19 Mb/s
Up 1.89 Mb/s
Ping 24ms

Speedtest to Edmonton Server
Down 7.20 Mb/s
Up 1.87 Mb/s
Ping 44ms

Questions:
  • Is a potential computer problem? Can you try a different PC?
  • Is it a potential cabling issue? Can you hook your computer directly to the gateway with another patch cable and retest?
  • Any errors or problems on the "broadband link statistics display" when you log into the gateway?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think it might be a computer problem. I've retested and now get full upload speed and A line quality. However, my download speed is now slow. Unfortunately I don't have another computer to test with.

It seems strange, but my problems started after I bought a new Logitech MK710 keyboard and mouse. The speeds are good after a reboot, but when I wake from sleep the speeds go down. I think I'll have to try uninstalling Logitech SetPoint and see if the problem goes away.

Here is the info from my statistics page. I don't know if the DSL Corrected Blocks is a problem or not.

Statistics
Collected for 4 days 0:11:21
Since Reset Current 24-Hour Interval Current 15-Minute Interval Time Since Last Event
DSL Link Retrains: 0 0 0 0:00:00
DSL Training Errors: 0 0 0 0:00:00
DSL Training Timeouts: 0 0 0 0:00:00
DSL Loss of Framing Failures: 0 0 0 0:00:00
DSL Loss of Signal Failures: 0 0 0 0:00:00
DSL Loss of Power Failures: 0 0 0 0:00:00
DSL Loss of Margin Failures: 0 0 0 0:00:00
DSL Cumulative Errored Seconds: 141 0 0 1:23:42
DSL Severely Errored Seconds: 3 0 0 3 days 7:17:20
DSL Corrected Blocks: 694936 974 974 0:00:02
DSL Uncorrected Blocks: 626 0 0 1:23:42

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is very strange! After a reboot my test results are:

I then put the laptop to sleep, wait 10 seconds and wake it back up and my results are:

It seems it is a problem on my computer and likely related to either the hardware or software of the Logitech MK710. Pretty disappointing since I really like the keyboard and mouse with the tiny unifying receiver. :mad:

·
Registered
757 Posts
I wasn't trained on anything to do with statistics, but I check them over from time to time in my installs, and they're usually never perfect, but those errors may be a little high. Either that, or you might not be supposed to be getting certain ones.

I usually only see slight errors on the DSL corrected blocks. The severe ones and stuff I don't tend to see any. But again, if the service is working good for you, it might not mean anything.

If you want, give them a call and ask them if they can have a quick peek at the statistics from their end and see if there's anything to be concerned about. If you are fed by a pedestal (as opposed to an aerial cable) maybe the installer didn't verify the "end tap" was cut. Sometimes the service works with it uncut, but other times it won't work at all until it's cut.

The standard is to check/cut it before the gateway is even put into service, but there's still probably still a good deal of installers that don't even bother to check it.

If you're fed by aerial cable, the contractors don't climb poles, so MTS does it for us.

Food for thought? :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts