Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the joys of Apartment living i am stuck with crappy wiring that will not allow me to get MTS ultimate tv (and the PVR). I switched to Shaw in order to get HD. Alas my apartment's wiring for Shaw is also out of the dark ages, so the number of channels I can actually get down the pipe is depressing. But they have the shiny PVR.

I hate the shaw UI...hate, loathe, detest whatever adjective you wish. cant stand scrolling thru page after page of channels i dont get and then wondering if i do get that one needle in a haystack. Much prefer the MTS UI.

I am reaching the end of my 6 mth intro deal and am thinking of bolting back to MTS. I can handle not having the HD, I will miss it but can live without...but that PVR...I am hooked.

SO my question is about tivo. What is their UI like? Is there a place online where i can see a sample of it? Can you "turn off" channels that you are not paying for?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
217 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,193 Posts
MTS are still in the process of rolling Ultimate TV out to all areas of the Winnipeg, so it may not be an issue with the wiring in your building. I would double-check with MTS to see if it will be available in your building in the future. They won't give you a date but they should be able to confirm if is's a issue with just your building or not.

There are a few things you should consider before going ahead with TiVo. The only model that will work is the Series 2 and it is being phased out.

TiVo requires a subscription to work. Fees are $12.95 U.S./month or $129/year.

You have to attach the TiVo to the MTS gateway and can only record 1 digital channel at a time. You can watch another channel live by tuning your TV to channel 8, but it is a little cumbersome.

·
Registered
217 Posts
prior to getting Ultimate TV, I had what MTS now calls Classic TV, and a Tivo. Personally I didn't use the Tivo UI,

One thing Dave didn't mention is that with the Tivo, you do use a IR blaster to control the MTS digital box, and it was a bit slower than controlling the digital box directly. So I set up my Harmony remote to use the MTS UI and guide, I had the remote set so if I wanted to record programs that I would press a custom button that allowed me to search and set recordings. This configuration still let me pause and rewind live TV. Also I was able to set another "device" on my harmony to watch a different stream for when I was recording on the Tivo.

That said I liked the Tivo UI it works well and is intuitive.

You can still get Series 2 Tivos and they are pretty cheap these days, you may wish to check ebay to see what is out there before buying new.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info all.

The issue in my building is not going to be resolved until there is a major reno next year (at which time rent will go thru the roof and i wont live there anymore!). The Shaw wiring in circa mid-late 70's (the installation guy said "oh one of THESE" when he spied the wierd box on my wall), i cant even get shaw internet or phone let alone all the tv channels. As for MTS, i can get the regular tv just not ultimate.

I am actually looking at switching to Bell in order to get both HD, a pvr AND no "channel will be available shortly" messages! and on the upside looks like bell will be cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
17,193 Posts
If the building wiring is good enough for MTS TV Classic, it's probably good enough for Ultimate.

MTS had 74% coverage in Winnipeg for Ultimate in March 2010 compared to 98% for Classic. So there are still some areas that don't have Ultimate service yet, but they're working on it.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Hey Dr. Dave, how do you know those stats? Not that I'm doubting you, I'm just curious. That sounds pretty high, but I'd love to see what it would look like on a map, and how many fringe or gray areas they have that can't get it.

I know in my neighborhood there must be a whack of streets that can't get it because it's all buried and it's 30 year old 26 gauge wire. I'm not actually eligible for Ultimate because I'm about 850 metres out from the DSLAM but the FST I know told me that on 26 gauge it acts more like 1,000 metres.

Come to think of it, I can drive down an given main road and think "hey, I've never done an install on that street."

:)

·
Super Moderator
17,193 Posts
@Macman, those are the official MTS numbers they publish in their quarterly reports. I believe the percentage is based on population not area, so it is 98% of the population that has access to Classic TV. The 98% number hasn't been published in about a year since it hasn't changed.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Numbers of customers served have to be by population and not geographically as there are areas I am aware of streets both in East Kildonan and St. Vital that are both with in a mile or two (as the crow files) of the local exchanges (Gateway and Alpine exchanges respectively ) that are not yet eligible for provision of MTS classic TV service.

There are other areas like Mission @ Plinquet (Cedar exchange) that have a DSLAM and maybe 10 residential houses in the area

I am not sure if the underground ducts that serve these areas are too full to pull an additional fiber line or if MTS cannot get permission to put a DSLAM on the right of way.

I just noticed Macman's posting about being in a 30 year old area and having 26 gage wire, these areas I know of are around that age if not a little older so that may also be a factor in why they are not serviced yet.

My part of EK. was built in the 50's but MTS came in about 10 years ago and rebuilt all the outside plant from Gateway exchange to the Network Interface on my house so I guess that's why we can get TV service.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Yeah, the aerial stuff must be way better, because my in-laws are quite a distance from their DSLAM visually, and I can't even tell what path it goes down so the actual path may be even farther, but I installed their Ultimate service and it works great. There's the odd time where I get a job that ends up being ineligible, but I only find out after the fact when I can't get sync. Nobody's perfect :(

I guess I should leave it at that for now, sorry OP for straying off topic.

I'd love to try something like Tivo since I'm in the same boat. I've heard of people hacking them so that you don't have to pay, but I don't think that's really something they want us talking about on here.

I'm even looking into a homebrew DVR, but it looks a little too complicated and frustrating dealing with the inherent quirks with homebrew stuff.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, the Bell satellite installer just left after a bad review of my situation.

I thought, satellite, i can get both HD and a PVR AND not deal with old wiring. Alas a giant tree on the other side of my quad is just too darn tall.

So I am back to square one. But i did learn, while researching the installation of the afore-mentioned dish, that my complex is being renovated (finally??), which means that as early as next summer i wont be living here anyway, (my nice rent-controlled rent will, by all indications, double).

grrrr.

with that knowledge im not sure i want to invest in a tivo that i might not need a yr from now....I dunno.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts