Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello- first time poster - love the fourm so far!

I am having some issues with the sound on the MTS motorolla PVR STB.

I have it connected to my audio reciever via an optical cable. When I change the setting in MENU>SETTINGS>AUDIO>DIGITAL AUDIO OUTPUT to Surround Sound often do not get any sound output. When I do get output it seems like there is a large delay when I change the channels before the sound kicks in - sometimes I get no sound at all. If I change the setting back to Stereo, I have no problems at all.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any ideas on what it might be?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
217 Posts
Can you post the make/model of your receiver?

·
Super Moderator
17,072 Posts
Welcome to Digital Home, Spencer.

Here's a similar thread .

In your case, I think the audio delay when changing channels is caused by your audio receiver taking a second or two to recognize the new audio format, especially between HD and SD.

To get around the situations where you get no audio you could try changing any settings on your audio receiver to see if that makes a difference. The audio format can vary from channel to channel and even from program to program.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dr. Dave - This is what I had suspected - the receiver is struggling to change between audio formats when I change channels, hence the delay. I guess I'm still struggling with why when I change to some channels that I get nothing? - If the station isn't broadcasting in surround sound shouldn't the MTS STB be smart enough to output it in Stereo rather than having to manually change the STB settings everytime?

TimmayWPG - my audio reciever is an entry level HTIB - Samsung HT-C5500.

Thanks for you help!

·
Super Moderator
17,072 Posts
I'm not sure of the details, but I believe that the Motorola STB is sending an audio format that your HTIB doesn't support on its optical input. I've read about this happening with a few other audio receivers.

You could try updating your Samsung firmware although I didn't see anything specific that would fix this problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts