Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a call from my mom in Winnipeg. They have MTS TV as well as MTS ADSL. When I upgraded their computer last year to Windows XP, I also installed a router for them for firewall purposes.

Apparently their TV service went out yesterday, and the MTS tech said it had to do with the router, and that the router may have to go. Myself, I am very uncomfortable with having any computer hard wired to the internet; let alone one that I am trying to support from 1300 km away. (It's not like I can pop over for Sunday dinner and rebuild their computer for them.)

Has anybody else heard of this? I would think between Sasktel and MTS they would have subscribers that have TV and Internet, and surely a good number of people would have routers.

FWIW, I did give them my "good" router; my 3 year old bullet proof Linksys.

·
Super Moderator
11,135 Posts
So if it worked for awhile and then stopped yesterday what makes you think it is the router (other than the CS dingbat saying so)?

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good question Jake. I just called my mom back to ask. Now I have the whole story.

Apparently the STB for the TV broke down, so MTS sent the tech out with a brand new state of the are STB as a replacement. That was Wednesday. Thursday, my parents lost both TV and internet, and MTS sent another tech out this morning. This tech said they were having compatability issues with the new STB and routers. My question was if a different brand of router might help. Apparently my mom asked the same question, and the MTS guy said the issue was in the STB's.

As a resolution the MTS tech was able to locate an older STB for them, so everything is now up and running fine.

·
Super Moderator
11,135 Posts
SO I guess they are OK till the next upgrade. I wonder what could have caused this? Fragmeted packets maybe, closed ports?

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will see if I can find out. (You are concerned about Telus TV, I presume?)

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Yeah I remember researching that box. A single box for the entire home right? Both TV and Internet? Conceptually, one would think that's the way to go. Too bad Motorola bought Next Level out. I don't think Motorola gets their new products to market fast enough (and without problems). Looks all this one needs is to be MPEG4 with component/HDMI outs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes, one box connects TV and internet. At my apartment, I have two TVs and one laptop hooked up to the box.

Agreed that mpeg4 and hdmi outs are really the only things missing. It does have an s-video out which I'm using for picture on my main TV. My second TV is HDTV and I can't take full advantage of it right now with this set-up.

I'm hoping the rumoured upgrade to HDTV will bring a new box with those features to subscribers.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I was helping my aunt setup her dsl connection for her and i put an old router i had, worked perfectly for me, just needed a new wireless one, but i couldn't get it to work on hers. went through the instructions they gave her and somewhere in there it says there is only one router that is compatible with MTS. i forget what it was but call mts and demand the router for free or threaten to switch to shaw for better security since you can use any router.

·
Premium Member
3,309 Posts
on the topic of MTS STB's - I was in a MTS connect store and some guy was bringing back his MTS TV box and for a second I thought he was in the wrong store - it looked EXACTLY like a Shaw DCT 2500 except it said MTS where it says Motorola, and on the back it had all the same connections except it had a couple extra phone jacks

anyone know about this box?

Thanks
Shawguy

·
Registered
7 Posts
New box

MTS recently switched over from the RG2200 Motorola/Next Level box to the RG2400 Motorola box. It looks VERY similar to Shaw's boxes but it is basically the same as the 2200 but with newer insides. My best guess would be that the 2200 boxes exterior was designed by Next Level and the 2400 (the first update to it since Motorola acquired the company) is using the standard Motorola casing. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I signed up for MTS TV in August 2005 and received an RG2400.

I have a similar setup with a router plugged into the rg2400 and I found that I could crash it on demand using Bittorrent.

The problem seems to be that the rg2400 can't handle a high number of connections when the router (currently a linksys befsr41 v.3) is connected to it in 100Mbps Full Duplex. I tried my old router (smc 700abr) which has a 10Mbps Half Duplex WAN port and the crashing was eliminated.

It is possible to tell what mode the rg2400 is running by going into the configuration menu. I believe you press the menu button on the rg2400, press the Info button on the remote, and then go into one of the info screens. I can't remember which one.

That's a long, frustrating story made quite short.

·
Registered
36 Posts
A Linksys befsr41?? :eek: :eek: :eek:

I went though three of those myself before I gave up and built a linux based router. Mine couldn't handle the throughput - it kept overheating and locking up.

You might also try disabling multicast forwarding or blocking the IP range of 224.0.0.0 - 239.255.255.255 (this is the multicast IP range used by IPTV) on your router. It should prevent your router from needlessly processing the packets destined for your settop box.

·
Registered
2 Posts
AirPort Extreme Base Station Versus RG2200

Gentlemen.

I just found your forum and wonder if you can help.

My wife and I have recently installed a new iMac in our home office. In the process we reorganized the layout and the computer is now located too far away from our DSL cable to effectively hard connect to it. I wish to avoid rerunning the cable, as this would require ceiling tile removal (once again) in the basement and drilling more holes through the hardwood floor. and there is no where to hide any extension in the room itself.

We decided that this would be an opportune time to go wireless for our DSL connection and since the iMac came preinstalled with AirPort, chose an AirPort Extreme Base Station, partly to avoid any compatability issues and the Base Station styling had appeal.

Our DSL service is from MTS and is fed through a Motorola RG2200 Residential Gateway Box (2nd generatioin we think). From this point it got very interesting. We started by setting up the DSL connection directly to the computer and got everything working perfectly. We then set up the AirPort Extreme Base Station and found it keeps looking for the PPPoE host until the connect attempt times out. The Techs at Apple have been super with their support. MTS is another story.

Our first call to MTS advised us there should be no problems with the AirPort Extreme Base Station and the RG2200 and we must have done something wrong with the setup. An hour later still no success. In the meantime we have the Base Station tested at the local Apple Service Center. Works perfectly. Back to MTS. This time they tell us this is a known issue, that AirPort Express Base Stations will not work at all with the RG2200 and that in order to get the AirPort Extreme Base Station to work, we will have to have the Firmware rolled back to Version 5.7 or earlier.

Another two hour phone consult with Apple last night (we are now all the way back to Firmware version 5.5.1) and the Base Station still cannot find the PPPoE host. Going back to Shaw is becoming very tempting.

Has anyone had a similar problem with the AirPort Extreme Base Station and the MTS RG2200 System? My wife's cousin works for MTS and have the same MTS TV system. They added a linkSys??? wireless system to their home office last year and it took a week for them to get it to work properly.

There is apparently a third generation Gateway System now being used by MTS, but they are insisting at this point to charge us for the upgrade, and we still cannot find out if this would even solve the problem.

Any information you can provide would be appreciated.

Regards,

David

·
Super Moderator
17,216 Posts
AirPort Extreme Base Station

I saw this problem with MTS RG2200 and AirPort Extreme Base Station on a newsgroup. Apparently there is a specific problem with AirPort Extreme and some DSL ISPs. The solution was to use firmware 5.4. Here is a reference to the problem on CNET. http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6126-0.html?forumID=10&threadID=149721&messageID=1668367

I think the DSL log in should be done on the router and not on the MAC (that's the way it works in the PC world.)

I'm not sure what you're referring to as far as generations go. The only versions of VDSL that I'm aware of MTS using are:

RG2200 - 3 SDTV + Internet. Included with MTSTV service. Purple curved front.
RG2400 - as above. Black rectangular
RG3000 - 1 HDTV only. Purchased by user.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dr. Dave.

Thank you so much for the information. I will pass it on to the tech at Apple I was working with when he gets back to the office on the weekend.

This has been quite an initiation to the wonderful world of home Wi-Fi!!!

Best regards,

David

·
Registered
3 Posts
AirPort Extreme Base Station

Hello David,

I live in Winnipeg too and MTS is our internet and TV provider. I just purchased a Mac Book Pro and wanted to buy a Apple airport extreme base station from Advance. They wouldn't sell it to me saying "It will not work with MTS". I am stuck. I do not want the MTS Home Network package ($99.00) which features a Siemens router. I did some checking and this router is not worth the money. Did you get your Apple Air Port Extreme to work?? Anyone have any other suggestions??

Cory

1 - 20 of 26 Posts