Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I'd start this thread for people to discuss MTS Free Previews.

MTS has a free preview on channel 30 every month. If they have more than one preview, they usually start at channel 40. I believe the previews have to be co-ordinated with the channel owner to waive subscription fees. Therefore, any previews that are publicized by other BDUs will likely be available on MTS as well.

Link to current free previews:
http://www.mts.ca/freeview

Since MTS has a lot of channels on preview right now, I decided to post the current list, edited for brevity.

Channel 30 for a free preview of Bold all January, 2010.

Channel 30 for a free preview of Cosmo all February, 2010.

Channel 40 for a free preview on RDS from January 26th to March 2nd.
RDS is your best source for sports broadcasted in French.

Channel 414 for a free preview of RIS from January 26th to March 2nd.
Le Réseau Info-Sports is the French-language service entirely dedicated to sports news.

Channel 415 for a free preview of V from January 26th to March 2nd.
V is a French-language network that offers a variety of drama series, reality TV shows, sitcoms, movies and more.

Channel 507 for a free preview of GMA Pinoy TV from January 26th until March 2nd.
GMA Pinoy TV is a 24-hour Filipino channel.

·
Super Moderator
17,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got a letter from MTS announcing Winter Sports Picks feature, which says the following channels will be free (until March 15 I think.)
171-173 all Rogers Sportsnets
176 Outdoor Life Network
141 CTV News Channel

Link provided: www.mts.ca/ultimatetv/newfeatures

·
Super Moderator
17,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DIY Network - free preview on channel 30 until March 31

I wasn't planning to post this, but since the DIY Network is a new network and is on national preview, I thought I would mention it here. I've read in other forums that some people find this interesting.

·
Super Moderator
17,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Free Stuff from Movie Central

Press the ON DEMAND button
Press RIGHT ARROW to select Free Stuff & More
Select Free - Movie Central

Currently available: "The Pacific" Season 1 Episode 1 until 12:01 AM Mar. 21, 2010.

I saw that Shaw had it so I decided to check MTS.

Thanks to wpgjets2004 for this heads up.

Edit: The above instructions are for Ultimate TV. I don't know if Classic TV has free stuff from Movie Central.

·
Super Moderator
17,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AMC Free Preview all July - Channel 30

WFN Free Preview June 26 - July 6 - Channel 40

RT (Russia TV) Free preview untill further notice - Channel 147

·
Registered
338 Posts
RT (Russia Today) is actually available free to broadcasters so I would be surprised if MTS ever started charging for it.

·
Super Moderator
17,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The Cave and TLN en Espanol

MenTV is rebranding to The Cave effective Aug. 2. MTS has it on Freeview channel 30 for the month of August.

TLN en Espanol Free Preview until September 27
TLN en Espanol is a Spanish-language channel that has just been added to MTS TV on channel 517.

·
Super Moderator
17,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
DISCOVERY WORLD HD Free Preview Aug. 2-Sept. 1

DISCOVERY HD is being rebranded as DISCOVERY WORLD HD and is on Free Preview Aug. 2-Sept. 1 on channel 42.

Based on my previous experience with the Super Channel preview, there is a strong possibility that any programs you record on channel 42 will be deauthorized after Sept. 1. So if you record anything you should watch it before Sept. 1.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
DISCOVERY HD is being rebranded as DISCOVERY WORLD HD and is on Free Preview Aug. 2-Sept. 1 on channel 42.

Based on my previous experience with the Super Channel preview, there is a strong possibility that any programs you record on channel 42 will be deauthorized after Sept. 1. So if you record anything you should watch it before Sept. 1.
So my dream of watching Mythbusters in HD is finally dead, eh?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Setanta is up on free preview, Channel 40. Not sure how long it will last. Just in time for the start of the English Premier League tomorrow though. Excellent.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Movie Central - 3 Months Free

Maybe not technically a free preview because you have to sign up and cancel at the end, but it is free during that period. I noticed on Movie Central website that you can get 3 months free if you sign up before the end of November.

I have MTS Ultimate TV and phoned MTS. They said you will receive the Premium Movies 7-pack (Movie Central, HBO and EA channels & HD equivalents if you have HD starter) for 3 months without charge. There is no minimum period you need to keep the channel after the 3 months, but you do need to phone in and cancel it at least a day prior to the 3 months ending, or they'll catch you in a 30-day subscription. Only restriction is that you cannot have had the 7-pack for a minimum of 120 days prior. Signed up right away, and marked the cancellation date on my calendar!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Does anyone know if the Movie Central deal can be signed up for Online? I tried it and it didn't seem like it was free.

·
Super Moderator
17,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bite TV free preview

I noticed that Bite TV is showing on free preview channel 40. They are re-lauching the channel with more of a comedy focus starting Friday evening.

·
Super Moderator
17,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
November Previews

Bite - Channel 40
CosmoTV - Channel 41
Twist TV - Channel 50 (Discovery Health has rebranded to Twist TV)

·
Super Moderator
17,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
December Previews

Discovery Science - Channel 30
Bite - Channel 40
EQHD - Channel 43
OASIS HD - Channel 44
TREASURE HD - Channel 45
RADX - Channel 46

1 - 20 of 24 Posts