Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to sign up for MTS SuperMax 25mbps / 2 mbps... Can I use my DLINK DIR-655 router with their 2wire RG 2400? I want to continue to use my DIR-655 as my routing device, and use the RG2400 as a "dummy modem" (bridge?) device, similar to the SpeedStream 5300 DSL modem currently used on the MTS "Lightning" plan. Can the RG2400 be configured as a "dummy"? I don't want it to control the WiFi, etc.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I'm no expert on this, and the following is my own personal advice, as MTS does not provide tech support for 3rd party routers.

You can use a router downstream of the 2Wire 3800 gateway, however (as their instructions explain) you have to basically turn your router into a switch (or like you say, a dummy, I think)

With Ultimate TV, the internet is no longer PPPoE, so I don't think you can turn the 2wire into a dummy. And the wireless on the 2wire is off by default. If the installer turned it on, it is not very hard to turn it back off.

So for what you want to do, I think it should work just fine as long as you only plug your router (and the MTS PVR!) into the 2wire's ethernet ports.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Macman: MTS said I would have to set my "Internet Connection Type" in the DLINK as "DHCP (Dynamic IP)" instead of the "PPPoE" it is currently set to. They said no login is necessary under MTS SuperMAX, similar to cable modem ISP.

I was also told to remove "LAN IP reservations" such that local LAN devices would renew their IP intermittently.

I was also told to set the local IP addressing block from 192.168.100 to 192.168.100.180, and set the DLINK IP address to 192.168.100.200, such that it will be on the same subnet as the 2WIRE.

MTS on the phone said the 2WIRE could be set as a "passive" device similar to my current SPEEDSTREAM modem. Basically, I want my DLINK to remain "the boss" and the 2WIRE to just be the link between me and the outside world.

Your reply stated the opposite, that the DLINK would have to be set as a switch or whatever.

And we won't have any MTS PVR, MTS IPTV or whatever, just the SuperMAX internet. We have StarChoice for our TV provider.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just set up your D-Link for DHCP and plug into 2wire. You do not need to change the subnet or any of that b*llshit.

what will happen is the 2wire will give your D-link an IP of like 192.168.100.100 just as a cable modem would.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I was just going by what their pdf says to do. I've done it myself, too. I would think as long as you do this and only plug in the pc's to your dlink and not the 2wire (or wireless) you should be fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts