According to the PlaP "pasture" on the MTSTV site, the HD network stations are:
CBC: Toronto
CBS: Seattle
ABC: Grand Forks
PBS: Fargo
CTV: Toronto
City: Toronto
Global: Toronto

It does seem like a bit of a mixed bag, time zone wise. I don't know why they wouldn't go with Minneapolis, but for the Portage roll-out it seems they are not.

Also, as others have pointed out, no Discovery Channel.

I'm still looking forward to this and hoping it comes to Winnipeg sooner rather than later. I am especially pleased to see HD movie channels in there (though it's a bit of a cheat to include all of them in the claim of "30 HD channels").

·
Registered
38 Posts
1. How many HD and SD streams are allowed?
2HD Streams + 2 SD Streams (Video on Demand uses up one HD stream, regardless if content is HD or not)

2. What is the max Internet speed?
Currently for Portage customers, the only available speed is MTS Lightning. This will change for Winnipeg.

3. Is there only 1 PVR per residence and can it be played from any STB (Whole Home PVR)?

Each MTS customer recieves 1 VIP-1216, This is the PVR model. Whether they choose to activate the PVR ($5/mo) is up to them. Portage customers get free PVR access for the first 3 months. "Whole Home PVR" (The ability to watch recorded shows from the VIP1216 on any of your other STBs) is currently not available, but expected in the future. No customer-end changes are required to implement this.

4. Can you program your recording schedule via PC or mobile phone?
Not currently.

5. Any other special features?
Many, however still in the works. More to be released at, or shortly after Winnipeg launch later in 2009.

6. If I understand correctly the minimum cost for a PVR is $8/month ($3 + $5)?
Yes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
"They do say more HD channels are coming this year. I guess they have to work out the bugs before they add all the HD channels they want to."

Not so much bugs, as much as it requires approvals (licensing), contracts, time etc. from various teams which are very busy. I'd expect more channels once Winnipeg is up and running, which is obviously the next big goal/focus. Adding new channels to the MTS HDTV network is relatively easy once you've aquired the feed(s) and the go ahead. This is something that isn't so easy on the current MTStv network.

·
Registered
38 Posts
According to the PlaP "pasture" on the MTSTV site, the HD network stations are:
CBC: Toronto
CBS: Seattle
ABC: Grand Forks
PBS: Fargo
CTV: Toronto
City: Toronto
Global: Toronto

It does seem like a bit of a mixed bag, time zone wise. I don't know why they wouldn't go with Minneapolis, but for the Portage roll-out it seems they are not.

Also, as others have pointed out, no Discovery Channel.

I'm still looking forward to this and hoping it comes to Winnipeg sooner rather than later. I am especially pleased to see HD movie channels in there (though it's a bit of a cheat to include all of them in the claim of "30 HD channels").
CBC: Toronto Eastern
CBS: Minneapolis (WCCO) Central
ABC: Grand Forks (WDAZ) Central
FOX: Minneapolis (KMSP) Central
PBS: Fargo (KGFE) Central
NBC: Minneapolis (KARE) Central
CTV: Toronto Eastern
City: Toronto Eastern
Global: Toronto Eastern

·
Registered
90 Posts
davidb1: As I indicated, my information is from the MTS website.
If you have more accurate information, that's great, but please indicate your source.

·
Super Moderator
16,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
davidb1, thanks for answering all my questions. Your contributions are appreciated.

Lorne, there are 3 sources from the MTS web site.

1. Winnipeg shows U.S. HD channels except ABC are from Minneapolis.
  2. Portage "Channel Packages & Pricing" has a PDF that shows the same.
  3. Portage "High Definition" has a graphic that shows them as Seattle.
So 2 of the 3 MTS sources say Minneapolis. The graphic is probably an error as it conflicts with the other 2 sources. All TV guide sources also have Minneapolis.

·
Registered
38 Posts
davidb1: As I indicated, my information is from the MTS website.
If you have more accurate information, that's great, but please indicate your source.
A better source than the MTS website lol... It's an error, I imagine it will be corrected next week.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Looks pretty good to me.

LINK TO CHANNELS

They have everything Shaw has plus the ones everyone is asking for..Nice.

Rental on the equipment is $3 for a HD unit, add another $5 for PVR function. Not too shabby.

I'll have to wait and hear how the quality is. Competition in Winnipeg will be a good thing for all when it reaches here.

I think you get all 30 HD Channels for $18.00, not sure what level of SD service you would need to subscribe to.

EDIT: Note: When ordering HD Theme Groups, customers must also subscribe to the equivelant channel in Digital Theme Group packages.

Not sure exactly what that would total up to.
No HD NET or Discovery HD? Also Shaw offers HD Pay Per View and Video on Demand stuff as well. Plus they charge you $5 a month for PVR services that shaw gives for free? This might be getting too expensive for me to sign up I could get all Shaw's HD stuff for the I am paying now.

I think I might still be going to shaw.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I gues you are ok with the 600 + charge to get the PVR service, more if you want it on more than one TV?

Do the Math my friend.....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Also, programming is for Portage currently. As one of the previous MTS press releases said, they're planning on increasing the HD content this year (above the 30 currently being offered).

·
Registered
80 Posts
bimbamboom, I think your calculations are right as far as programming goes. From what I've read, Shaw charges $19 or $20/month for HDPVR rental bringing Shaw's total to about $85/month.

Overall, the programming costs are roughly the same among all the providers as you've shown. There will be variations depending on which packages you pick. I think most of the content owners require that you subscribe to the SD channel to get the HD channel.
Shaw gives away there HDPVR and MTS charges to use it? Hmmm, I wonder which way I will go.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
Well think about this first, Shaw hd is crap and they dont offer channels like Score HD, Oasis, Rush, Equator, Treasure, Citytv HD, etc. I would wait and give the MTS service a try first. Btw why did you switch to MTS anyway?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Can mediaroom integrate with media center?

What kind of connectivity/portability options for content is available with this system?

Can you add storage?

Is is possible to display content/media from other sources in the home (pc...etc)?

·
Registered
681 Posts
WOW I was just looking at the price listings and all I can say is **Expensive** after you add your 9+ theme groups which im thinking is the average you have to spend a additional $12 per month to get the HD equivalent so lets do some price calculations. I'm using movies included just to inform:
Basic + 9 theme groups: $71.99 + 3 HD theme groups $12.00 + 12% tax = $94.07 per month just for TV services :eek:.

They have a good line-up if I might mention plus I'm sure the PQ is much better then Shaw but I think those prices are way too expensive.

My parents have MTS TV at their place so when they roll this out here I'll have to mention this to them if they don't mind paying the price.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well think about this first, Shaw hd is crap and they dont offer channels like Score HD, Oasis, Rush, Equator, Treasure, Citytv HD, etc. I would wait and give the MTS service a try first. Btw why did you switch to MTS anyway?
Cause at the time they were better than Shaw but that was before I had an HD TV and was offered a free HDPVR from Shaw rather than having to rent it from MTS. It sounds tempting and I just may switch yet.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I apologize for the misinformation.

The total number of streams is 3, not 4 as posted earlier.

1. How many HD and SD streams are allowed?
2HD Streams + 1 SD Streams (Video on Demand uses up one HD stream, regardless if content is HD or not)

·
Banned
181 Posts
I think that MTS is finally getting into the real HD business(the service now is pitiful) is good, competition will be good for all of us who either decide to stay with a particular provider or move to MTS.

I am not a lover of MTS but if they offer the service that AT&T offer in the US it will be top notch, but alas this is MTS we are talking about.

If it is to pricey people will not buy it, not enough HD people will not buy it. I hope it is top notch and then the competitive juices will make sure that Shaw, Bell TV and Star Choice are in the same ball park.

They (MTS) have to better Shaw to make any inroads, so bring it on and we all shall benefit. (I HOPE)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes, I forgot to take into account the PVR rental. The $500. upfront cost of Shaw's PVR is burden. I'm going to take a closer look at MTS's offerings.
I would rather buy the PVR for $500 then have to spend 8 extra dollars a month just to use the PVR features. Why is MTS charging for there PVR service and why is there not an option to buy the PVR?

·
Super Moderator
16,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
WOW I was just looking at the price listings and all I can say is **Expensive** after you add your 9+ theme groups which im thinking is the average you have to spend a additional $12 per month to get the HD equivalent so lets do some price calculations. I'm using movies included just to inform:
Basic + 9 theme groups: $71.99 + 3 HD theme groups $12.00 + 12% tax = $94.07 per month just for TV services :eek:.

They have a good line-up if I might mention plus I'm sure the PQ is much better then Shaw but I think those prices are way too expensive.

My parents have MTS TV at their place so when they roll this out here I'll have to mention this to them if they don't mind paying the price.
I think you'll find the programming cost is about the same. It's not hard to get to the same amount with Shaw. For example "HD Plus", Movies and a 7-pack of Specialty Channels ($7.95) is $97.33 with tax.

The big difference is that the hardware is a lot less expensive with MTS.

This isn't a Shaw vs. MTS thread. I just wanted to point out that MTS' programming cost is not that different from the others.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts