Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Channel Packages & Pricing seem to be the same as Winnipeg. Other details from MTS.CA:

Hardware
Receiver rental: $3/month per TV
Add PVR service for $5/month
Record up to 3 programs at once
The 160 GB hard drive allows you to record up to 120 hours of Digital TV or 25 hours of High-Definition programming.

HDTV
MTS HDTV offers 30 HD Channels packaged in 5 Theme Groups.
When ordering HD Theme Groups, customers must also subscribe to the equivelant channel in Digital Theme Group packages.
First HD theme group $6/month
Each additional HD theme group $3/month

Promo
Promotional pricing is the same as Winnipeg: Basic +11 Digital Theme Groups starting at $19.99 for the first 6 months.
PVR service FREE for the first 3 months.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Looks pretty good to me.

LINK TO CHANNELS

They have everything Shaw has plus the ones everyone is asking for..Nice.

Rental on the equipment is $3 for a HD unit, add another $5 for PVR function. Not too shabby.

I'll have to wait and hear how the quality is. Competition in Winnipeg will be a good thing for all when it reaches here.

I think you get all 30 HD Channels for $18.00, not sure what level of SD service you would need to subscribe to.

EDIT: Note: When ordering HD Theme Groups, customers must also subscribe to the equivelant channel in Digital Theme Group packages.

Not sure exactly what that would total up to.

·
Super Moderator
16,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So now that MTS officially announced Mediaroom yesterday morning, can some Portage residents or MTS insiders answer some questions?

1. How many HD and SD streams are allowed?
  2. What is the max Internet speed?
  3. Is there only 1 PVR per residence and can it be played from any STB (Whole Home PVR)?
  4. Can you program your recording schedule via PC or mobile phone?
  5. Any other special features?
  6. If I understand correctly the minimum cost for a PVR is $8/month ($3 + $5)?

·
Registered
195 Posts
So now that MTS officially announced Mediaroom yesterday morning, can some Portage residents or MTS insiders answer some questions?

1. If I understand correctly the minimum cost for a PVR is $8/month ($3 + $5)?
I'm neither a Portage resident nor an insider, but from when I was with Bell ExpressVu, the PVR is itself an STB.

Dave S.

·
Super Moderator
16,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dave S, I realize the PVR is a STB. My question was whether MTS charges an extra $5 to replace the VIP1200 with a VIP1216 or if it is just $5 for the VIP1216.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The pricing and channel info is here.

28 HD channels are:

ABC
CBS
NBC
Fox
PBS
CTV
Global
CityTV
Sportsnet
The Score
Speed
Raptors TV
TSN
Movie Central
Superchannel (2 channels)
Encore Avenue
HBO
A&E
TLC
National Geographic
Showcase
APTN
WGN
4 "hi-fi" HD channels

Edit - CBC HD is included in the basic group. That makes 29. I can't find the 30th.

·
Super Moderator
16,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
aequitas, Portage is the first city to get Mediaroom. Winnipeg is scheduled for sometime this spring. In Winnipeg the new technology will co-exist with the current hardware so existing customers won't be affected unless they want to upgrade.

For anyone that is interested, AT&T in the U.S. has over 1 million households running Mediaroom on their U-Verse IPTV service.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm a bit underwhelmed. From what I understand you have to get the equivalent SD channel for each HD channel that you choose. In many cases that means having to pick a SD theme group in order to get the required SD channel. Which in turn means having many SD channels that you don't really want. Also, having to pick all those SD theme groups will raise the cost. I estimate I will have to get the Basic + 6 theme groups. ($51.00). Then I will pick 3 HD groups ($12.00). Then HDPVR rental $5.00 That's about $68.00 total. Shaw's HD-Plus package is $65.00 with better HD channels. Comments?

·
Super Moderator
16,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bimbamboom, I think your calculations are right as far as programming goes. From what I've read, Shaw charges $19 or $20/month for HDPVR rental bringing Shaw's total to about $85/month.

Overall, the programming costs are roughly the same among all the providers as you've shown. There will be variations depending on which packages you pick. I think most of the content owners require that you subscribe to the SD channel to get the HD channel.

·
Registered
291 Posts
MTS is missing HDNET, BigTenHD,GolfChannelHD, TSN2HD and the incredible "TheFrameHD".

They do have a bunch of channels that Shaw does not have such as the TreasureHD, OasisHD, RushHD, EquatorHD, The ScoreHD, RaptorsHD, APTNHD.

I'd trade at this point for MTS' lineup and I own two Shaw PVR's.

The only Proviso is whether or not MTS can avoid the CTV/Global simsubs on the US channels - this is a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yes, I forgot to take into account the PVR rental. The $500. upfront cost of Shaw's PVR is burden. I'm going to take a closer look at MTS's offerings.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I believe it is possible to get a dvr from shaw for significantly less than $500. If I remember correctly, other members of this forum have received them for free when switching.

And they do say more HD channels are coming this year. I guess they have to work out the bugs before they add all the HD channels they want to.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just finished phoning MTS to get a bit more information. I said earlier that you have to pick the equivalent SD package in order to get a HD package. So for me to get the HD Sports and HD Entertainment, I would have to pick the SD Sports Fans and SD Entertainment respectively. And I assume the HD Networks group would be covered by the SD Basic Service group. HDPVR rental is $8.00 per month. She said Winnipeg will see this service in April.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Can anyone verify what cities the American HD networks originate from. One page I looked at indicates Seattle for CBS, Fox, NBC. Another page shows Minneapolis instead. I hope it's Minneapolis, for time zone reasons.

·
Super Moderator
16,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm pretty sure it is Minneapolis, since Winnipeg already lists the HD networks as Minneapolis. I sent them an email yesterday to let them know about the discrepancy. I think MTS probably did some of the artwork when they were still Seattle or someone had an old channel list.

Or maybe someone thinks Portage is in the western time zone. ;)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts