Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a Kyocera Rio phone with MTS... on our last bill there was a charge for 409 text to email messages that she never sent. Is there a way that someone could have cloned her phone and sent these messages but still left it operational so she got calls, etc as normal? After much arguement, MTS waived the fees for it ($100 plus) but they said there was no way to turn this service off. What can I do so this never happens again?

·
Registered
8,310 Posts
It was easy to clone analog phones, but digital phones are supposed to be much tougher. I haven't heard of such a problem with them.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I would guess that it is a phone or account configuration issue. It's possible that someone hacked the phone or account. It's more likely that either text messages were converted without the sender's knowledge or that MTS has an error in their billing system. I would also be checking for spam messages that are causing billing issues. Do you have a record of the messages or the sources and destinations? That would help to track down what is causing the billing.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would guess that it is a phone or account configuration issue. It's possible that someone hacked the phone or account. It's more likely that either text messages were converted without the sender's knowledge or that MTS has an error in their billing system. I would also be checking for spam messages that are causing billing issues. Do you have a record of the messages or the sources and destinations? That would help to track down what is causing the billing.
She only sent 3 text messages (that showed correctly on the bill) in that month - nothing else in her sent folder. I didn't get a breakdown from MTS of what happened when, other than them telling me verbally, 1 or 2 a week through December and then the bulk of the 400 were sent on December 26. If it happens again I am going to demand an investigation.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
An easy way to prove cloning is if she happened to make a call or text at the same time as the incident, showing her connected to a different tower than the erroneous texts were sent from.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
the bulk of the 400 were sent on December 26.
Sounds like a billing mix up to me. Someone else's new phone probably got put on the wrong account. I would ask for an investigation, if only to prevent it from happening again next month.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts