Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Just a quick note about this - Shaw would only "own" the coax running between units. You are pretty much free to do whatever you want to the coax inside your apartment - I know from experience, having moved from Shaw to MTS in an apartment building downtown.

I can't see how a building could keep MTS out - if you have an MTS phone line, you should be able to get MTS Ultimate TV (and therefore the faster internet speeds available).

But if internet speeds are important (and being capped or throttled isn't a big deal), then perhaps Shaw is your best bet in this situation.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Dr. Dave, I have MTS total home package, 5 dollar long distance and calling features. It's $43.50 with the rental phone. The MTS modem is an old Speedstream 5200. Maybe MTS has a better modem or can upgrade without me having ultimate TV. Thanks.

I have 2 MTS phone lines but one is not activated. MTS won't tell me why, they just say ultimate TV is unavailable at 120 Donald St.

Mozza I'm researching if a higher speed would improve my game play and surfing. If it would then I can always just switch to Shaw for a 6 month deal and then switch to MTS for a 6 month deal. etc.

·
Registered
338 Posts
@Mozza - I still have not jumped on Bolt however it is on my list of things to do.

@llcarlos - You may want to try contacting tech support and get them to check on your line quality as you seem to be under the expected speeds. I thought the current target was 7.5 down and 1-2 up with tv customers getting an unadvertised boost over that. Line quality could also be causing lots of dropped packets which would be hurting your gaming performance.

·
Registered
757 Posts
llcarlos, your building might not be within spec for eligibility for ultimate tv. Possibly either distance or "bridge taps" between the building and the central office. Glad to hear they bumped up the line profile.

·
Registered
14 Posts
There are better modems than the 5200. The current one they give out is the Actiontec. One benefit of this modem is it can take care of the PPPOE connection for you instead of your router/PC. You can also log into it and it will show you your connection profile speed.

I had my profile speed drop and I was getting a slower upstream similar to what you are seeing. A tech replaced a connection outside of the house, made a call and got my profile changed restoring my speed.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I went down and spoke with tech at MTS and they said that 7 down 1 up is normal and my 6 down and .4 up was good and I didn't need more up speed unless I was hosting a website. They said a tethered iPhone 4 with unlimited data would not play games well. They said to stick with what I have and ask for a loyalty discount. They were helpful at the MTS store. All other depts just told me to give 30 days notice because they can't improve the service.

Edit: they said I could have a newer modem but it wouldn't make a difference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is Lightning Bolt worth it?

I notice MTS has a promotional three-month price of $30/month to try the Lightning Bolt Internet. I have Lightning right now and I assume it would be a pretty significant difference. Can anyone confirm?

I assume after three months of paying $30, I can go back to Lightning at $47/month if Bolt doesn't do it for me?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Yes - I am getting 32 mbps down with Bolt, as opposed to 7 mbps with Lightning. That is when I'm not watching TV - I found it hovering around 21 mbps otherwise.

The promo for me is up, and I'm keeping it for now at $57/month... but I had the option to switch back at any time as I could now I guess.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ok, so I've had the Lightning Bolt plan for the past 6 months or more, and I think it was around $57.

I just checked MTS' website, and no longer see the 32 Mbps Bolt plan. The fastest now is only 20 Mbps "Lightning 20" and it's $60 !!!

I haven't heard anything from MTS, their customer service is closed all long weekend, and there is no way to see online in my account what service I have exactly or what I'm being charged.

Anybody else have any ideas?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Nope MTS' phone support is only Monday to Friday. Just tried calling today (Saturday) and got that message. And since it's a long weekend I can't get hold of them until Tuesday (also they screwed up my TV billing by locking me in to the super channels even though I cancelled my promo before Sept 1 as I was told).

Thanks for link Dave, that's what I thought. MTS is now offering slower plans at higher $$$. How nice of them.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I just tried calling and it is open I got thru just call 204-225-5687 press option 2 then 3 and you should be able to get thru !

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks Gordon! Unfortunately I just get a message saying they are "experiencing high call volumes, try again later" then it hangs up on me. NICE MTS!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Well thats one thing I hate about mts that they always seem to say that I never get that message with Shaw but I do know that they had high call volumes for a long time (up to 4 hours) at one time so I guess they are both the same at that anyways try calling again another time they should be able to assist you !

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks Gordon. Does anybody else remember when MTS used to call YOU back during high call volumes? Their service has gone down while their price has gone up.

Sure enough, as I suspected, MTS ditched the 32 Mbps Bolt and now the fastest you can officially get is the 20 Mbps L20, which costs $3 more than the Bolt did. They said I will stay on Bolt, but my price will go up to $60, and once I change anything with my internet, I can no longer get Bolt. They also said a few times "as of right now there is no bandwidth cap". The way it was said makes me think MTS is going to start capping things soon, now that you can have internet like the L10, L20 without having the TV boxes.

·
Registered
469 Posts
They still offer call backs but not all the time I get them once in a while when i am calling to inquire about my celluar service and when I had mts for tv internet and phone back in May it still once in a while allowed the call back option but it was never offered all the time !

41 - 60 of 61 Posts