Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I care about sports - it's nice to actually see the after-goal celebrations rather than a bunch of exploding lego blocks... :)

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
funny, I have 4 TV's and a full family, and we have no problem with MTStv. Seems to me that MTS has more that a niche market. I can say exactly the same thing about Bell. It sucked for me, since I could only watch 2 shows at once unless I got anothe LNB, I had to buy a box for each tv, the quality sucked big time, the custoemr service sucked big time, no VoD sucked big time..... on and on, seems to me that Bell is a niche player and in my opinion you are correct Bell is not in the same league as MTS, since Bell sucks big time.

wow that was as productive a troll as your comments dm_4u.
I'm just pointing out my two cents worth here...and I'll address your concerns...

First off I doubt you ever had Bell-TV...as you do not need a second LNB to watch more than two shows at once...you simply need another receiver...and the same is true for MTS...only you have to rent them...with Bell-TV you have a choice...rent or buy...

You are correct there is no VOD with Bell-TV...however it is only available in Standard Definition on MTS...and I only watch High Definition...so this feature means nothing to me...(it may mean a lot to others...just remember it does take away one stream and correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there is a cost associated with it)...also with the ability to record 4 HD shows at once...I always have something to watch.

You may have 4 TV's and say MTS is fine...however I don't see how that is possible unless people are watching the same programs at the same time...in different rooms...with no recording possible at that time (due to all 3 streams being used) but hey if it works for you that's great.

I have two dual tuner HD-PVR's, one other HD receiver and one SD receiver for four TV's...three of which are HDTV's.

Everyone can watch whatever channel they want...and two people can record another HD channel while they watch live HD programming...as we are not restricted to 3 streams.

The ability to watch pre-recorded HD programming while recording 4 HD shows at once is also an option with this setup.

And as far as customer service goes, it has been my experience that each and every Communication Company has their own set of faults...and none have proven to be a cut above the rest...they all promise the world and once they have you signed up...could care less about you...much the same treatment as the before and after of car buying.

As for the quality of the picture and sound...I can't speak to that as I have never seen MTS-HD...and all I watch is HD and to me Bell would be hard to beat...as I get no macroblocking whatsoever.

Trust me...I would have liked to buy local if I could have...I even voiced my concerns to MTS directly when they were in their HD infancy...however it's impossible for MTS to supply what I require to even come close to my setup...therefore I mention the downside to make others aware...but I do reiterate...they have a niche.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Because I live in Winnipeg and have done a pile of research on the MTS-HD service...and so I am telling people what I have learned...so that they can make a more informed decision when they make their purchase and they won't have to do all the research themselves...that's what these forums are for...sharing information.

I'm not saying don't buy MTS...I'm just explaining what MTS-HD's limitations are...

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have 3 HD TVs

So I have 3 HD TV's, With the new MTS HD service, will we be able to watch HD on all three TV's at the same time while watching different 3 different HD channels?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
If you are talking about live TV...then no...only 2 can watch HD while one person will have to watch SD (all different channels) and to make matters worse...you will not be able to record at that time either...

That's the limitation that was a deal breaker for me...just not enough streams.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks for the reply to my questions. So if your recording one HD show with the PVR, you can still watch another HD show on another TV then? Are there plans to have more streams in the near future?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
That's correct...you can watch a live HD program...while recording an HD program and that takes up the two HD streams and leaves only one SD stream.

You have 3 HD TV's and like me it is a shame that this system is so limited in it's usage.

I have discussed this with MTS and they will not be adding any more streams for the foreseeable future...(at least a few years...maybe never).

The reason for this is they told me it degrades the picture quality too much as they have tried it and it failed...trust me I begged and told them I would pay extra.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
They told me in order to do that the price doubles...as in from 80 to 160 a month...depending on how much programming you purchase...it's just like ordering for a second house...ridiculous.

Bell is a far cheaper alternative as I have an infinite amount of HD streams.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Bell is a far cheaper alternative as I have an infinite amount of HD streams.
Not exactly true. For each pair of streams, you need a receiver... and each LNB only officially supports 6 receivers. While it's more than MTS, it's also not unlimited.

I think MTS used to give people a half price deal for a second line/box. Not sure anymore.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
OK...I don't want to get into which we each think is better...I just would like to state facts about each providers limitations.

You make it sound like Bell is inferior because they need a receiver for every two streams...MTS needs a receiver for every TV so there really is no difference...and with Bell...you have the option to rent or buy the receivers you want.

And while you say one LNB officially supports 6 receivers...you are dead wrong...Satellite has been my hobby for more than 20 years...and I've never seen a situation where an LNB didn't work because it was maxed out...that's what you use switches for...and some of the high end switches today allow a 16 HD receiver setup...(ridiculous I know)...and you can even run them in tanden...if you have a mansion.

·
Registered
217 Posts
DM_4U

You have got to be the biggest TROLL on this forum. Here you are someone who has never tried the new MTS tv, and have continually stated that you will never buy the service, and that Bell is so much better for every reason under the sun. You bring no value to any conversation instead you continue to point out that since the service doesn't work for you that it is crap for everyone.

I don't see anyone else here bad mouth any product to such an extent that one would think you were a Bell employee trying to slag the competition.

Do you believe your rant here about your percieved short coming will cause MTS to drop everythign and build a service that works for you? seriously, your presence here actually makes me not want to participate in this group at all.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
A troll is someone who inspires flaming rhetoric, someone who is purposely provoking and pulling people into flaming discussion...which you are obviously trying to do with me.

I am not nor have I ever worked for a satellite company...but I have done/helped with numerous installs for myself and friends since back in the BUD era...and while I have never had the MTS-TV service...I have had in depth conversations with several of their Reps and Techs with regards to the new Ultimate TV package MTS-TV is offering and I am sharing the information I have gleened in this forum.

It is similar to those in the Bell-TV, Shaw Direct, Rogers, Shaw etc forums stating all the features and limitations of the various receivers that all the other providers offer...so that people will be able to make a more informed decision about what (if anything) they are going to purchase or rent.

BTW...I had two Techs in my living room for over an hour discussing how we could make MTS-TV work for me...unfortunately to no avail...as I have always bought local if it was an option.

Please do not participate in these forums if you have no relevant information to share.

·
Registered
72 Posts
They are also offering , in addition to the two HD boxes & PVR functions for life, a $72/mth for the first 12 months deal. That is basic TV plus nine themes, HS Internet, and phone with the LD package included. First month free.

That works out to approximately $792 for the first year including the free month!
Where did you see this deal? I got a letter yesterday with the same offer for $85/month and I don't think it said the first month was free. Can I just phone and mention the $72/month deal and get that instead?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
It is similar to those in the Bell-TV, Shaw Direct, Rogers, Shaw etc forums stating all the features and limitations of the various receivers that all the other providers offer...so that people will be able to make a more informed decision about what (if anything) they are going to purchase or rent.
and with MTS being the only provider to actually limit each residence to 3 streams...(only 2 of which are in HD)... MTS is still not even close to being in the game!
Yeah - that comment seems objective to me.

In any case, you are posting off-topic remarks in a thread about a current promotion. My suggestion? Go hang out in the Bell forum from now on.

BACK on topic - I sent an email to MTS about the current promotion, and got a response really quickly stating that it is for "new customers only". Pretty disappointing, but again I'm going to hit one of the malls this weekend and get some physical evidence of the promotion before I call in and try and get my STBs and PVR credited for life...

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
The attack is uncalled for and the comment is still taken out of context...I was agreeing with Clipse...but you're right...this is off topic.

·
Registered
38 Posts
For me I never meant anything as an attack just a general comment. Most MTS people will not tell you about the 3 streams unless you ask or they are very a good salesman....

21 - 40 of 49 Posts